The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
morris743
Is it true once Sainsbury's get 2 applications for jobs on their website, they take them down and start interviewing? It's just I've expressed interest (wasn't asked to fill out application form or anything) in a team leader position in another store different to my own. I applied through my current store's HR team. The vacancy is still on the website though, has been for a few days since I told my HR about it. Does this mean nobody else is applying? :biggrin:

Apparently for the xmas temp jobs in our store. One job posted had 19 applications.
haha thats noting, the new tesco store opening near us had 2000 applications for about 150 jobs :eek3:

(According to the local paper anyway)
FXX
lol... they don't get any free time from me. If I clock in at 5.56 I clock out at 11.56.

They would stop 5 minutes pay each time you did that at our place :yep: Someone in our dept came in at 8.50 & clocked out at 12.50 3 times, and apparently lost half hours pay they told me.
Reply 2903
Spazzycazzy
They would stop 5 minutes pay each time you did that at our place :yep: Someone in our dept came in at 8.50 & clocked out at 12.50 3 times, and apparently lost half hours pay they told me.

lol, in our online department, the earlier the better really. I usually start at half 5 instead of 6, but some people start at 4.
FXX
lol, in our online department, the earlier the better really. I usually start at half 5 instead of 6, but some people start at 4.

School holidays I do 5am til 9am. Saturdays I always do 6 til 10 anyway. But over xmas I am doing 4 til 8. No one is there until 6 usually, except an old chap who has a key, so if he's on hoilday when I want to start early, I cant go in until 6 :mad: But the earlier the better really for me! Especially nearer christmas, its mad enough with the customers at the moment as it is :rolleyes:
Aren't the night shift people in at 6? :tongue: We always have people starting around 5.30-6am and we don't leave 'til 7am.
inksplodge
Aren't the night shift people in at 6? :tongue: We always have people starting around 5.30-6am and we don't leave 'til 7am.

They are in the store :yep: But our online dept is locked up over night. Our online isn't 24 hour? 5am (only 1 person, the rest in from 6) til 2pm at latest.
Reply 2907
Spazzycazzy
They are in the store :yep: But our online dept is locked up over night. Our online isn't 24 hour? 5am (only 1 person, the rest in from 6) til 2pm at latest.

lol reminded me of the load of calls i got from head office with regards to issuing vouchers.

The system broke down and they had to call up all the customers and cancel all the orders. I dont know how online works, but I think there is a major store in a region which does the online deliveries for the entire area, so how many phonne calls did they have to make xD

Actually, ive started noticing the people form online doing shopping in store at 6/7pm, whereas I only used to see them during the morning.
Has any one on checkouts had this change raising con pulled on them? Some guy with a fifty ends up paying for something and then starts handing me tons of change, he ends up with the fifty back and pockets it which i notice. I tell him to wait whilst i figure out what has happened he keeps talking so i couldnt think properly. He then asks for his change which i question as im sure at this point he has the fifty in his pocket. I told him to hang on in which he was huffin that i owed him his change so i handed over what was in my hands and told him im sure i have given it. He says he will explain in which midway he gives up and quickly walks off.

I serve the next customer before going to tell the supervisor how he has walked off with the money. Annoyed how i knew this was messed up yet didn't prevent him walking off mid sentence. What he did still confuses the hell out of me, yet supervisors have told me countless times before when i question the demands for being shortchanged to just hand it over so i guess its thier problem.
I have just started xmas temping, would they allow me to change one shift next week from 4-8 to 3-7 do you think?! I am not sure I dare ask!
Go for it, its only an hour, they shouldn't mind :smile:
Foulish
lol reminded me of the load of calls i got from head office with regards to issuing vouchers.

The system broke down and they had to call up all the customers and cancel all the orders. I dont know how online works, but I think there is a major store in a region which does the online deliveries for the entire area, so how many phonne calls did they have to make xD

Actually, ive started noticing the people form online doing shopping in store at 6/7pm, whereas I only used to see them during the morning.

Blimey thats late! I think over christmas ours does it all night, I remember some people doing that overtime last year, but its a killer apparently. I wont be volunteering thats for sure! lol
Reply 2912
Shifters
Go for it, its only an hour, they shouldn't mind :smile:

Thats two hours 8-)
Reply 2913
Spazzycazzy
Blimey thats late! I think over christmas ours does it all night, I remember some people doing that overtime last year, but its a killer apparently. I wont be volunteering thats for sure! lol

Yeh, unfortunatly, I was on checkouts today monging out and my manager came along and asked if I wanted to go "full time" during the week before and after xmas. I agreed without thinking about it.

I'll be off checkouts, but from previous Christmas experience, it can take you half an hour to get from one side of the shop to another (This was in the day when I used to take EVERY customer to the place a product was rather than the aisle and the rough location of the aisle). I did however quickly discover that if you stand on the "paid for" side of the checkouts, absolutly no one bothers you.
Reply 2914
tristan1000
Has any one on checkouts had this change raising con pulled on them? Some guy with a fifty ends up paying for something and then starts handing me tons of change, he ends up with the fifty back and pockets it which i notice. I tell him to wait whilst i figure out what has happened he keeps talking so i couldnt think properly. He then asks for his change which i question as im sure at this point he has the fifty in his pocket. I told him to hang on in which he was huffin that i owed him his change so i handed over what was in my hands and told him im sure i have given it. He says he will explain in which midway he gives up and quickly walks off.

I serve the next customer before going to tell the supervisor how he has walked off with the money. Annoyed how i knew this was messed up yet didn't prevent him walking off mid sentence. What he did still confuses the hell out of me, yet supervisors have told me countless times before when i question the demands for being shortchanged to just hand it over so i guess its thier problem.

OMG yeh thats bad. It's not your fault, it sounds obvious that the customer knew exactly what he was doing. The best thing to do would to not allow the customer to have hold of all the cash, if you understand what I mean :s-smilie: So if there's confusion about how much money they've paid you, lay the cash out in front of you and count it out loud rather than handing it all over to them. And take hold of cash before handing them cigarettes etc.
Hi guys, do any of you know if night staff still work Christmas day, Boxing day and New years eve? Replenishing stock etc. I've got an interview for General Assistant working nights and was just curious. Thanks :smile:

tristan1000

That guy sounds like a pro for sure. Ever seen Hustle? I'd probs have done same as you in that situation lol
gez_09*
Hi guys, do any of you know if night staff still work Christmas day, Boxing day and New years eve? Replenishing stock etc. I've got an interview for General Assistant working nights and was just curious. Thanks :smile:

That guy sounds like a pro for sure. Ever seen Hustle? I'd probs have done same as you in that situation lol

I work nights and I have to work boxing day and new years day. We are not working xmas eve, xmas day or new years eve :smile:
inksplodge
I work nights and I have to work boxing day and new years day. We are not working xmas eve, xmas day or new years eve :smile:

That's good :smile: Just got to get the job now! lol Thanks for the help :smile:
gez_09*
That's good :smile: Just got to get the job now! lol Thanks for the help :smile:

:biggrin: Good luck! Night shift people are looovely - you might find there are a lot of men though... but they're lovely!
Reply 2919
tristan1000

OMG Yes! This happened to one of the cashiers on thursday, and yesterday I noticed an email warning about this from another store.

Latest

Trending

Trending