Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would be a sucker for that probably.

I get confused if something is like, £1:50, and they give me £5, then say "oh ive got the 50p" omg, it confuses me to no end I know its simple maths, but the pressure! I cant do it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't give them change until you've gotten whatever they're giving you and worked out what they need back.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have learnt my lesson supervisors just found it funny more than anything ,joke was on me she had it done to her few months back. The security doesnt know why we are never told in training about these common scams. Next time any one gets funny with change im closing the till straight up without giving them a penny...then we will see who the clever one is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristan1000)
    Yeah i have learnt my lesson supervisors just found it funny more than anything ,joke was on me she had it done to her few months back. The security doesnt know why we are never told in training about these common scams. Next time any one gets funny with change im closing the till straight up without giving them a penny...then we will see who the clever one is.
    I don't think that will go down well

ReputationRep:
    2 hours until my Sainsburys interview! :woo:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    wow, just finished my first weekend of night shift.. my back!

quick question, has anyone like worked in one store and then moved to another part of the country for studying or whatever reason and got themselves transferred to a store in their new location? i'm thinking of moving to london and wanted to know what i need to do to take my sainsburys job with me so i don't bum out the moment i move down.

thanks!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    freshapple - yeah, you'll hurt for AGES. i've been doing nights for nearly 2 months and my knees/fingers still ache after 3 consecutive night shifts haha. then again, i'm a girl... how are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Our stand for it is next to the CSD and I actually watched people come up with plastic bags and fill them up...... eventually we had to limit it to 5 3D glasses per person.
    yeah we had the same problem, we also had some cheeky man who runs a CO-op and he comes to me and goes "can i take about 30 pairs of the glasses for my Co op. So the old people can get them from my store instead of coming here"
    i was like no. Just so he can boost his sales.

ReputationRep:
    going into work later cant be bothered because the checkout manager is back of her week hol.

plus i somehow have to do the checkout huddle while running lol not a chance am i going to have time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    I agree, you would have thought that the department training covered awareness of scams.

This particular one was done to me in a previous job, only it was particularly well thought out as the man had a 'friend' (who appeared to be a stranger) further down the queue who backed him up when he said that I had given the wrong change. Nowadays, I sign the receipt whenever dealing with a £50 note in the same way as cashback, and count the change aloud and directly into their hand. It isn't something they can dispute.
    Good idea, however, you are not technically meant to touch your pen to their receipt unless you are doing a refund. God knows why though 'cause you are only covering your own back. I have been moaned at for writing on a receipt before though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    yeah we had the same problem, we also had some cheeky man who runs a CO-op and he comes to me and goes "can i take about 30 pairs of the glasses for my Co op. So the old people can get them from my store instead of coming here"
    i was like no. Just so he can boost his sales.
    I've got 2 pairs on ebay at the moment... 1 day auction, ending in 16 hours, £4.20 at the moment:eek3: wow!

(Original post by tubbsy)
    Good idea, however, you are not technically meant to touch your pen to their receipt unless you are doing a refund. God knows why though 'cause you are only covering your own back. I have been moaned at for writing on a receipt before though.
    I've heard that before as well, as long as you aren't crossing stuff out (except refunds) I can't see a problem tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    freshapple - yeah, you'll hurt for AGES. i've been doing nights for nearly 2 months and my knees/fingers still ache after 3 consecutive night shifts haha. then again, i'm a girl... how are you finding it?
    it's ok. doing the soups/tins/coffee/teas and oils. only thing is dressing them is a pain. so many different sorts.

anybody know about getting transferred to another store in the country and keeping your job?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshapple)
    it's ok. doing the soups/tins/coffee/teas and oils. only thing is dressing them is a pain. so many different sorts.

anybody know about getting transferred to another store in the country and keeping your job?
    ahh, that's not too bad but yeah dressing is a pain. i find it easier to dress a section once i've finished stocking it, rather than leaving dressing to the end =)

not sure about the job thing but i'm sure it could be done

ReputationRep:

You can transfer quite easily really. Once you're in, js don't really want to let you go.

When I have to dress I'll deck everything on the floor and work from one end to the other dressing each section as I go. The time it takes to spot the stuff is gained back from not having to load up from pallets or dress at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    good luck
    Thank you! I think it went OK! There were three of us doing the DVD test and the girl next to me kept asking what I'd put :eek: The actual interview was like 3 minutes long, the rest was the test! Just have to wait and see now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristan1000)
    It has happened to me a few times. I didn't fall for it. I took their name and address and put it into the till with a description of the short change and put it into the customer service book. The girls downstairs in the cash office tallied up my tills takings and it turns out my till was short rather than over.

Next time something like that happens you shouldn't deal with it yourself, pass the responsibility to someone else. If the supervisor just says "Give it to him", log yourself off your till and make them log in with their own number and make them remove the notes from the till.

(Original post by tubbsy)
    I always sign receipts where cash-back is involved. I circle the amount and sign to say I have given the money. That way they can't go to the CSD and con them by saying "Yh, xyz cashier hasnt given me cashback".

ReputationRep:

If your the person who was talking about going to uni into London, you should be able to get a dual contract where you work in your current store during half term and then during term-time you'll be able to work in a more local store (Not Sainsbury's local, but "local" according to geographical area).

I'm not too sure about moving to the same department at another store, but its best to ask your HR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    I've got 2 pairs on ebay at the moment... 1 day auction, ending in 16 hours, £4.20 at the moment:eek3: wow!

I've heard that before as well, as long as you aren't crossing stuff out (except refunds) I can't see a problem tbh!
    are you being serious? lol isnt 3d week over tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    are you being serious? lol isnt 3d week over tho
    Yeah.. take a look! It's amazing... I've sold some for £2.50 A PAIR as well! Its crazy!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.