Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'm not too sure. I know certain stores are cutting back on overtime. However other stores are booming with overtime (due to being short staffed).

I know with my store, we're in desperate need of evening colleagues. It's mainly the evening/late shifts that need covering. So it's the ~6:30pm-10:30pm shifts.

If your store has available overtime, it'll be in the 'Overtime Diary'. :yes:
    Do you think it would be seen as pushy if I was to snap up some overtime after my training (say on my fourth or fifth shift after training - go and take some overtime)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeesKnees)
    What is this WOW malarky everyone keeps talking about? I keep thinking world of warcraft lol (not that I play it by the way). To be honest anything that gets me off checkouts is fine by me lol.

Also, you jammy bugger for getting an admin job, do you apply for it online like the rest of the jobs? Or is it an internal thing?
    "WOW" training is some sort of intermediate training given to all the colleagues. Its shows how to wow your customers. Its like not just delivering good customer service, But its about how to deliver excellent customer service. It shows some videos of colleagues working in different departments and how they provide excellent customer service. Doing the extra bit kindda stuff... Its boring anyway. Well yes the admin job was internal thing. Actually it was not published on the notice board.....I was given it straight away Just like that. Thing is I expressed my interest to work in HR department to my HR. After 2 months, this admin girl decided to leave.........so He gave the job to me. So bit lucky

(Original post by Longorefisher)
    Do you think it would be seen as pushy if I was to snap up some overtime after my training (say on my fourth or fifth shift after training - go and take some overtime)
    If I were your manager, with an attitude like yours, you'll be like at the top of my 'Good Employees List'. :yes:

It would be even better if your approach your manager. Say that you were wondering if you could do some additional hours, so you could get more comfortable with the checkouts. I'm sure they'll be accommodating. If you do, your manager is more likely to approach you directly if there is any overtime in the future. :woo:

(Original post by Oh-No!)
    I was asked, and I have done the work. Worked in another store for 9 days (spread out over a month) It's about 20 Miles each way, so have done about 380 miles in total. I spoke to my manager and he said it's quite a generous rate, and is paid per mile, and is likely to be more than I spent on the petrol, which is good I guess! I filled out the claim form today, so I guess its just a waiting game now to see how much I will get!

I didn't clock in and out at my store, I just went over and HR are going to sort out the pay by charging the refit store. It's all rather confusing if you ask me!
    It is a rather tedious process if you ask me. I have seen the other side of the form (the one HR use), and it's so long-winded. But I think it's been designed more for managers who use company cars to travel to meetings because I'm sure on one of the forms it asks for car mileage readings etc.

I'm sure the process could be speeded up if they used the internal email to forward on the forms etc, but I think it's done by snail-mail :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    They came and asked me on the first day, didn't know anyone other than the staff trainer and the supervisor on checkouts that day had already come up to me and asked if I could do any overtime. I agreed to some and then later on in the day she kept phoning the training room up asking me if I could do any more. I hadn't even sat at a checkout yet. My first proper shift was overtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    ha sucks on your last day then, apparently everyone at sainsburys avoids checkout training lie the plague as once your trained you are stuck for life..... is that true?? cause everyone at waitrose is checkout trained but we have people who are there because that is there section like i work in the chilled isles and that is my section, and if your checkout trained in sainsburys do you still work on the shopfloor?
    They keep threatening to till train us online shoppers, hasn't happened yet thankfully. Online shoppers are the only ones at the moment in our store that didn't automatically get till trained when first starting, because we were too busy. Notice I say WERE
    Damn that 'simple' system they bought in back in march, quite often run out of work early :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    They keep threatening to till train us online shoppers, hasn't happened yet thankfully. Online shoppers are the only ones at the moment in our store that didn't automatically get till trained when first starting, because we were too busy. Notice I say WERE
    Damn that 'simple' system they bought in back in march, quite often run out of work early :mad:
    Haha sounds like their little system is actually working :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    If I were your manager, with an attitude like yours, you'll be like at the top of my 'Good Employees List'. :yes:

It would be even better if your approach your manager. Say that you were wondering if you could do some additional hours, so you could get more comfortable with the checkouts. I'm sure they'll be accommodating. If you do, your manager is more likely to approach you directly if there is any overtime in the future. :woo:
    Haha get on managers good side, get extra cash and get approached for extra overtime in future.

:woo: That sounds fan-dabbi-dosi :woo:

Thanks for that - I might do that as I would really like extra cash and, for some strange reason, I actually want to do overtime, rather than feeling compulsed to do it!

ReputationRep:
    Got stuck on a 6 hour shift on the Kiosk today. God almighty, I want to hang myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Got stuck on a 6 hour shift on the Kiosk today. God almighty, I want to hang myself
    I know how you feel, I used to like the kiosk now I hate it. It was OK when there was more than one person in there but now we have had more and more staff go without being replaced. Your left in there on your own doing a million and one things as well as serving customers while everyone else gets to sit down and relax. You also get more of the abuse over Think 25 and don't get paid a penny extra.

Everyone is beginning to get the same now as well, we fight over not going in the Kiosk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    They came and asked me on the first day, didn't know anyone other than the staff trainer and the supervisor on checkouts that day had already come up to me and asked if I could do any overtime. I agreed to some and then later on in the day she kept phoning the training room up asking me if I could do any more. I hadn't even sat at a checkout yet. My first proper shift was overtime.
    LOL Welcome to sainsburys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    It doesn't help that our store doesn't have a customer service desk, so everyone uses the kiosk but we can't do anything like refunds ourselves so a supervisor has to come over and do it which can take time and just increases the length of the queues. We used to be able to send them round to the supervisors desk but since the MCM changed this year we are told we have to call a supervisor to the Kiosk.
    Just like my store, except we have to do all the customer service stuff too, and on most evenings I'm in there on my own, so if someone wants to do a glass loan, or customer order for example, then we do get a bit stuck! I do get help from supervisors or managers sometimes, but that is only when there is short queue's on the checkouts, which is rare! It is nice when there are 2 people scheduled to be in the kiosk, just makes things so much easier!

ReputationRep:
    Uhmmm - that's because our store has an overtime cut on checkouts now Spazzy :yes: lol

They randomly threw out just under 200 hours one week, at a random unexpected point the same week they threw out another 80-something which got snapped up immediately and only *reliable* and *overtime loving* other checkout staff are being randomly approached to cover holidays/sickness in exceptional circumstances.

What I want to know is why our store can't seem to be ****** to spend JUST £50-60 extra per week to have an extra 3 or 4 people stay til 10:30 Friday & Saturday. It's outrageous. Last night there was only 8 of us left in the store!!

1 on kiosk, 2 supervisers, 1 on trolleys, and 3 of us checkouts (though I came off at 5 past and we left one guy on til quarter past).

I wonder what time the supervisers were in the store until! Ridiculous. Nobody had done any baskets, had to have 1 superviser to 2 sets of self-service, trying to organise left-behinds and disposals, headsets away, and everything in half an hour between 6 people with only 4 technically able to organise the checkouts department and 1 poor girl on the kiosk alone all night! How unfair is that on her... oh and 1 on CSD but she goes home at 10!

So we were pretty much set up to fail last night.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job :cool: . I have induction training tommorow, and Monday. Whats it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie1990)
    I got the job :cool: . I have induction training tommorow, and Monday. Whats it like?
    Depends what you're doing mate. What's the job you got then?

ReputationRep:
    OMG I better not get till trained :woo: ... Oh and thats soooo true, everyone keeps saying that the online shoppers always finish there work early, and then the G.O.L team leader was like "We will just stick you in another department" .. RUDE! ... anywhere but tills - i've had enough of them in my previous job lol

ReputationRep:
    gonna give in my notice today, just not sure what to say when i give it in and do i have to give it directly to the manager? sometimes i cant find mine and i dont want him to say that he did not get it if i give it to a CTS or supervisor to give to him.

(Original post by Foulish)
    I got stuck on my 3rd week after joining Sainsburys and spent a good 8 months on there. Every Shift. When I finally got off there to start supervising I "remember" that the kiosk is there (The kiosk isn't far away from the checkout line but it is hidden by the flower stand.

Oh, and I found out last night that we (Checkouts) won't be recruiting for Christmas, but other departments will get the extra staff. God it is going to be manic at xmas. :'(
    It's because they're going to be doing what I wrote about earlier. Hire as many 'General Assistants' and till train them. And then go crazy with the service calls!

I know that certain departments get neglected when it comes to Christmas, but it's stupid. Because we know where the new recruits will end up going.. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    i've being working at sainsbury's since may 14th 2009. how many weeks notice will i need to give if i want to leave in september (around the 20th)

(Original post by melanz)
    i've being working at sainsbury's since may 14th 2009. how many weeks notice will i need to give if i want to leave in september (around the 20th)
    Four weeks.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.