Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    The going straight from club to work isn't so bad as it is a bit of a regular occurance anyway:p: but I'll probably head up to London for the celebrations and know I would probably throw up if I even tried working the day after

Funny thing is, I'd quite like to see what work is like on NYD. Is it really busy or eerily quiet?
    It wasn't really quiet, it was busier that I was expecting but not really busy and it was one of those good laid back days where not even the managers even care.

I guess its because we were the only supermarket in the area open. Even Tesco and ASDA were shut.

ReputationRep:
    ah thats not to bad then. They want me to go in for about 3 hours on new years day, i may aswell, the shops only around the corner.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here a Checkout team leader (CTS)? If so I could really with some advice on the interview for it (applying internally, but it's for a different store to my own) as have it coming up very soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orchid)
    I know you can schedule in holidays but I only recently changed my contract to increase my hours, and I used all my holiday time up prior to that.

Can anyone advise???? x
    If you've upped your contract hours, you get extra holiday. You need to speak to HR, and they need to change something on the system. I went from 12 to 16, and got an extra week or so of holiday!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    What are the pay rates on new years day?
    If it's bank holiday premium it's £2.53 according to my sheet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    If you've upped your contract hours, you get extra holiday. You need to speak to HR, and they need to change something on the system. I went from 12 to 16, and got an extra week or so of holiday!
    cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I love working bank holidays, I get over £100 pounds a night!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by o0Relinquished0o)
    I love working bank holidays, I get over £100 pounds a night!!
    Perhaps I should opt for bank holidays, ha ha. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Perhaps I should opt for bank holidays, ha ha. :woo:
    I should mention that is nights I work, so I would still rather pay sainsburys £100 not to employ me than go to work, but hey, gap year travels dont pay for themselves!

ReputationRep:
    Me again!

Another induction Q or 2! Just wondered how many people usually do an induction at once? I don't wanna be on my todd, a little group thingy would be nice - stave off the boredom a bit! :p: Do we get a break? It's a one day induction (I wonder why when everyone else seems to get 2?) 9am-6pm. Surely we will need a wee break! :yep:

They do them in groups. It would be a huge waste of money if they had two trainers training one person at a time. My group was a group of 10, which I think is the most you're ever likely to see. Yes there are breaks, they count as working hours so you'll get the morning break and an hours lunch break, and you should get one in the afternoon unless you want to finish half an hour early. I dunno what they've done to the induction to pack it into one day but I guess they've condensed it a bit in order to save money.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by o0Relinquished0o)
    I should mention that is nights I work, so I would still rather pay sainsburys £100 not to employ me than go to work, but hey, gap year travels dont pay for themselves!
    Yees, I work nights too :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I saw in the previous sainsburys thread that mainstores close during boxing day and locals stay open.
    Are more stores opening on boxing day this year?
    Just wondering if anyone here knew as I don't have a shift for a few days and hoped I could find out a vague idea of whether my store would be open as I forgot to check.
    Of course I'll check next time I have a shift but I was just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    They do them in groups. It would be a huge waste of money if they had two trainers training one person at a time. My group was a group of 10, which I think is the most you're ever likely to see. Yes there are breaks, they count as working hours so you'll get the morning break and an hours lunch break, and you should get one in the afternoon unless you want to finish half an hour early. I dunno what they've done to the induction to pack it into one day but I guess they've condensed it a bit in order to save money.
    Thanks! I figured it would be groups but thought I'd ask just in case! Dunno what I'll do with an hours lunch break - here's hoping the other peeps at the induction are OK, or it's gonna be a very awkward hour! At my interview there were 8 of us and we all sat in a wee room for like 20 mins and no one but me said a word! :eek:

Maybe they've shortened the induction because we are Xmas staff, and they just wanna get us started ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms.Erudite)
    Hi I need some help !!
    My stupid little sister took my discount card off my mum (who's the other named person on the card) to buy some accessories for her DSi and was asked for ID as she's under 16. The cashier passed the discount card onto her supervisor and they've confiscated the card. This wasn't at the store, I work at. so. they've told my sister that they're going to call my store manager and report it to him.

Does anyone know what happens next?
    How serious is this? and;
    Does it make a difference that she took it without my permission?

Thanks.
    It probably will make a difference, but we had this happen to a woman on our dept a few months ago, & she got fired.
    She did appeal & got her job back though

ReputationRep:
    They can take your holiday back?!
    Looks like it :yep:
    Team leader said you should of put your foot down. But its no biggie. I will be going in mega early, 4am, so thats alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGirly)
    Me again!

Another induction Q or 2! Just wondered how many people usually do an induction at once? I don't wanna be on my todd, a little group thingy would be nice - stave off the boredom a bit! :p: Do we get a break? It's a one day induction (I wonder why when everyone else seems to get 2?) 9am-6pm. Surely we will need a wee break! :yep:
    Thats like asking how long a piece of string is by the way lol
    There was about 19 at inductions when I did it. But ive heard people say there was only 4 at theirs. Varies basically. Mine was 6-9 for 2 days & 9-6 a saturday.
    Yes you'll get a break. You'll also get a dinner one too :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Looks like it :yep:
    Team leader said you should of put your foot down. But its no biggie. I will be going in mega early, 4am, so thats alright.
    I would've done! What an arse :tongue:

Gooosh I love the Christmas season :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms.Erudite)
    Hi I need some help !!
    My stupid little sister took my discount card off my mum (who's the other named person on the card) to buy some accessories for her DSi and was asked for ID as she's under 16. The cashier passed the discount card onto her supervisor and they've confiscated the card. This wasn't at the store, I work at. so. they've told my sister that they're going to call my store manager and report it to him.

Does anyone know what happens next?
    How serious is this? and;
    Does it make a difference that she took it without my permission?

Thanks.
    your going to have to plead your case big time, because it clearly states that only you and a nominated person can use that card. Clearly your sister wasnt old enough to be the other nominated person, if i was that cashier i would have done the same.

but you will most probably get a displinary. but you best speak to your personnell manager.

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I would've done! What an arse :tongue:

Gooosh I love the Christmas season :love:
    Nah, its no big deal. People say I should of said I was going away so cant cancel it. She's not worth getting on the wrong side of though it seems :rolleyes:
    I am going to go against the grain & say I actually am loving the christmas season this year! I'm no longer new (I started end of november last year) & we are busy! And online shopping is always better when we're busy! Can really get up some speed without worrying we will run out of work :yep:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.