The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wooooo woooo woooo pay dayyyy!!!!!
Absurd
Is that the big one? What role did you apply for?

Yeah, I think so and I'd be a customer service assistant working at the till.

Do you work there or what?
The official role is called a Checkout Monkey :yep:

I cant check my pay, lost my online internet log in, going to have to go to the cash machine!!!!
Reply 3123
inksplodge
But surely you should dress down the aisle once you've done with it? Dressing down makes my night a whole lot worse :mad: The medicines in the health and beauty are the worst.

OMG H&B is such a massive pain to dress. I cry whenever I have to do that, especially the pills >.<
Nearly as bad is the specialities bit, but that's more because I end up gazing at the shelf in wonder at all the incredible things that they have.
Reply 3124
Foulish
Quick story:

Last Sunday at 3am someone left the staff entrance open by moving the bold across to prevent the maglock catching, two people came into the store with their balaclavas on, went to the Health and beauty cage, broke the lock and then tried to saw through the lock of the cage inside the health and beauty cage, failed, so cut through the mesh of the door

How big's your store? And where's the staff entrance? I can't imagine that ever being possible at my store because there's no way to get in unnoticed.
Reply 3125
We don't even have a staff entrance, you have to walk through the store to get to the back. Unless you walk in through the Backdoor, which is suicide at night without a high-visibility jacket on with lorries driving around.

Also, hurrah for payday :biggrin:
Reply 3126
Who do I speak to change my uniform? I asked for a large, but really I should have gone for a medium. I'll probably have to go in 20 mins early :frown:

First shift today though. Any tips? I am working on GM. What am I likely to be doing
Reply 3127
Go to the HR/Personnel department and ask them.

On GM you're either going to be putting things on shelves or fetching electronics for customers.
Is this the last payday before xmas or do we get one slightly earlier next because of the bank hols etc?

Thanks!
Reply 3129
matt4504
Is this the last payday before xmas or do we get one slightly earlier next because of the bank hols etc?

Thanks!

I was told next payday is 31st December.
Reply 3130
estel
How big's your store? And where's the staff entrance? I can't imagine that ever being possible at my store because there's no way to get in unnoticed.

Our stores carpark is underneath the store. The carpark is on ground level. You have to go to the first floor toget into the shop - which is why we have a staff entrance.

Our store is the largest in the region - we are ex-savacentre

I can't describe what they had to do, so i made a diagram.

They had to go past a "High traffic area". Its the only way upstairs... I find it highly suspicious that NOBODY saw anything.
Reply 3131
miml
I was told next payday is 31st December.

I was told because it is BACS, we get paid as normal on the bank holiday.
Foulish
Our stores carpark is underneath the store. The carpark is on ground level. You have to go to the first floor toget into the shop - which is why we have a staff entrance.

Our store is the largest in the region - we are ex-savacentre

I can't describe what they had to do, so i made a diagram.

They had to go past a "High traffic area". Its the only way upstairs... I find it highly suspicious that NOBODY saw anything.

We had a lot of tv's going walkies a year ago, they thought customers were stealing them, although couldn't figure out how. We have a security guard that checks receipts for anyone that goes out with big electrical items. turned out one of the dept managers was taking them & selling them.
Reply 3133
Don_Scott
Yeah, I think so and I'd be a customer service assistant working at the till.

Do you work there or what?

No, but I know one of the team leaders. :smile:
Spazzycazzy
We had a lot of tv's going walkies a year ago, they thought customers were stealing them, although couldn't figure out how. We have a security guard that checks receipts for anyone that goes out with big electrical items. turned out one of the dept managers was taking them & selling them.

You are kidding me?
morris743
You are kidding me?

Nope. The bloke always gave me the creeps a bit to be honest. Didn't surprise me. Although I was sure he was a produce dept manager. I remember the day the police van was outside when I went to work, thought they were just in there shopping! His mrs worked there too, in a different dept, everyone was talking about it, she caught us & just chuckled, I thought she was embarrassed. Felt a bit guilty. Then it turned out she was in on it too :yes:
Dont know what happened to them, apart from the sack. I kept an eye on the local papers, but never saw anything!
Reply 3136
Spazzycazzy
Nope. The bloke always gave me the creeps a bit to be honest. Didn't surprise me. Although I was sure he was a produce dept manager. I remember the day the police van was outside when I went to work, thought they were just in there shopping! His mrs worked there too, in a different dept, everyone was talking about it, she caught us & just chuckled, I thought she was embarrassed. Felt a bit guilty. Then it turned out she was in on it too :yes:
Dont know what happened to them, apart from the sack. I kept an eye on the local papers, but never saw anything!

Reminds me of a time when a manager in another store quite a few years back was stealing pods full of money.

Someone decided to put the shoot pipe over the staff toilet. The manager cut the pipe so he could get access to it and took the pods before they reached the cash office. imo it was very clever.

In my store if people are caught stealing from the tills or whatever, when the police come to arrest them, they make a point of making them walk down the checkout line show everyone he had been caught stealing.
Do xmas temps get paid monthly or weekly? I start next week.
Reply 3138
killerbeats
Do xmas temps get paid monthly or weekly? I start next week.

Fourweekly, same as everybody else.
Foulish
Reminds me of a time when a manager in another store quite a few years back was stealing pods full of money.

Someone decided to put the shoot pipe over the staff toilet. The manager cut the pipe so he could get access to it and took the pods before they reached the cash office. imo it was very clever.

In my store if people are caught stealing from the tills or whatever, when the police come to arrest them, they make a point of making them walk down the checkout line show everyone he had been caught stealing.

Good idea too!
At inductions, the trainer woman was telling us a similar story to the one you just said. Apparently it was a woman though, & she had been doing it for about 20 years! Madness. I dont know why people take the risk, especailly these days, its not like jobs are that easy to come by, even without the criminal record in tow!:eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending