Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGirly)
    10 mins is longer than my actual interview! Did the DVD thing then got taken into a wee room where they asked what shifts can I do and what size uniform....that was it! We were all told two days later, so if your interview was Mon....you will prob hear today or tomorrow! :yes:
    I just got a call from them right now. Got the job and an eight hour induction on friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I just got a call from them right now. Got the job and an eight hour induction on friday.
    Yay! Well done :woo:

Good luck with that eight hour induction, I did mine in two four hour sessions. Thinking back on it that would have been torture all in one day :lol:

What you gonna be doing?

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Well done :woo:

Good luck with that eight hour induction, I did mine in two four hour sessions. Thinking back on it that would have been torture all in one day :lol:

What you gonna be doing?
    Thanks.

I'm sure yet but I need to bring my national insurance number. I'm not sure how to find out what my number is, though, lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's on your NI card or the letter that your card originally came with.

Induction is a pain, but mine was longer than yours so maybe yours won't be so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    It's on your NI card or the letter that your card originally came with.

Induction is a pain, but mine was longer than yours so maybe yours won't be so bad.
    Do you get those cards at 16? Because I didn't get one, then (I was living in Switzerland at the time).

I think I also have more on Saturday. How many hours was yours?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get those cards at 16? Because I didn't get one, then (I was living in Switzerland at the time).

I think I also have more on Saturday. How many hours was yours?
    Erm, yeah, three months before you turn 16 or something. In that case, I've no idea.

14 hours but it was supposed to be 16 hours.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ring up DWP or somethning see if you can get your NI number that way

ReputationRep:
    My manage is asking me to come in 10-7 on New Years Day. My contract is 2-10 on that particular day, so what are my 'rights'(for want of a better word)?

ReputationRep:
    I had my induction on Sunday and signed a contract for 14 hours a week (Thursdays 9am til 4pm and Saturdays 4pm til 11pm). However, they've given me another sheet with all my hours on for the next month and it says I should be working 37 hours next week It also says every other week I should be working 24 hours when my contract only says 14. Also, none of my hours are my contracted ones! I am really confused by this. Do I have to work these hours if they are different to what my contract says? Any help would be much appreciated

(Original post by TashM)
    I had my induction on Sunday and signed a contract for 14 hours a week (Thursdays 9am til 4pm and Saturdays 4pm til 11pm). However, they've given me another sheet with all my hours on for the next month and it says I should be working 37 hours next week It also says every other week I should be working 24 hours when my contract only says 14. Also, none of my hours are my contracted ones! I am really confused by this. Do I have to work these hours if they are different to what my contract says? Any help would be much appreciated
    When you applied/had your interview did you see/get told that you would be needed for extra hours over Christmas? If they're down on your timesheet then you'll be expected to work them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I'm sure yet but I need to bring my national insurance number. I'm not sure how to find out what my number is, though, lol.
    At our store we wouldn't of been interviewed at all if we turned up for the interview & didn't produce proof of NI number. Its the first thing they say, 'Have you got proof of NI, if you haven't got proof we have to terminate the interview' Its a rule they have. Thankfully a couple of months before, I had rang the NI place & asked for a letter confirming it (I have had 2 cards already & thats the maximum you're allowed in a lifetime) so they send a letter as proof, that you can always use for things like jobs.
    Takes about 3 weeks for that to come through the post though.

(Original post by miml)
    My manage is asking me to come in 10-7 on New Years Day. My contract is 2-10 on that particular day, so what are my 'rights'(for want of a better word)?
    Providing you haven't agreed to to this, you are perfectly entitled to tell him to shove it and proceed with your contracted hours.

ReputationRep:
    Will I get a bank holiday premium for boxing day and new years day? Or do I have to have done a certain length of service for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    Will I get a bank holiday premium for boxing day and new years day? Or do I have to have done a certain length of service for that?
    New years day... yes
    Boxing Day... not sure, because the Monday after is a bank hol as Boxing day is a Saturday... not entirely sure though!

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh I have my first shift on Counters tonight - everyone seems to say they hate it so now I'm worried :rolleyes: Why do you hate it if you don't mind me asking? I'll probably be rubbish at it too, but at the end of the day it's a xmas job - so they only have to put up with me for 3 weeks.

We were told at our induction that if we didn't like our departments they had openings in the restaurant and produce replenishment, so we could just ask to change. I guess it depends on what your store has available though, and if they really need you on Counters.

I'm working 6.30pm-10.30pm tonight, although counters close @ 10pm. So no idea what am gonna do for the last 1/2 hour!

For the last half hour you basically just do washing up, clear the salad bar (if your store has one) or just help replenish the shelves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainwiz)
    For the last half hour you basically just do washing up, clear the salad bar (if your store has one) or just help replenish the shelves
    Hey!

Cheers, I started last night and it was torture! They had me serving customers within 5 minutes and I had no clue what I was doing :lol: I only made one mistake which was a woman asked for two slices of quiche and I only charged for one, I asked my trainer what I'd done wrong and she just said don't worry about it....so she didn't tell me so I will probably do it again tonight! As for the last half hour - if only!! I started at 6.30pm, there were only like 7 customers between 6.30pm and 8pm. After 8pm there were none. So we just stood around til 8.30 then cleaned up for closing. I wasn't due to finish until 10.30 though so I was put onto produce for an hour and a half. For the last hour there was nothing at all for us (2 new starts) to do, so we just sat and chatted, no one batted an eyelid. Anyone we asked what we should be doing didn't have a clue. So we sat around til 10.30 then clocked out! Fun. :confused:

Time would have passed so much quicker if I hadn't been bored all the time. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Back to the NI card issues, you can't just take the number (Or I couldn't anyway). You need the actual card as proof.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shifters)
    Back to the NI card issues, you can't just take the number (Or I couldn't anyway). You need the actual card as proof.

Good Luck
    Yep, same here, well, not just card. Official letter from the NI people is as good too. I know my NI number off by heart, but employers wont accept just that unfortunately. Ive got my letter now, & will guard it lol If I had known the card was as important & there is a limit on how many you can have in a lifetime, I would of taken more care of the 2 I had

ReputationRep:
    Just confirmed the details of my temping. Starting on the 17th for 2 weeks on nights. I'm really kinda regretting I didn't take days - especially as I think I'm contracted for NYE. Does anyone know how much 8 hours on NYE pays?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Just confirmed the details of my temping. Starting on the 17th for 2 weeks on nights. I'm really kinda regretting I didn't take days - especially as I think I'm contracted for NYE. Does anyone know how much 8 hours on NYE pays?
    Nights are much nicer! Not sure about NYE though we get that night off

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.