Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by crawleytownfc)
    Holiday question:

When are you allowed to book dates for next July does anyone know?
    It'll be after the start of the next tax year.

ReputationRep:
    Back to work tomorrow after 5 weeks off as exam leave. They're so mean, they won't let me take any more time off although my (A2) exams are in January and I needed some time off for revision... how I truly do hate the checkouts. :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabz_)
    Back to work tomorrow after 5 weeks off as exam leave. They're so mean, they won't let me take any more time off although my (A2) exams are in January and I needed some time off for revision... how I truly do hate the checkouts. :banghead:
    If I were in that situation I'd just tell them to F off and leave without ever coming back.

Also, ******* retard manager today... I finish at 10, and for the past 8 shifts I have had to wait at least 7 minutes (I time it, cos I am cool like that) to get someone get to my stuff out of the HR room as I don't have a locker yet (really quite unacceptable) and the HR people leave the room and lock the door. So today I leave exactly 4 minutes earlier, find a cash office guy and he tells me to go back to work (as well as calling someone to go to the HR room to open the door for 10). Also as I walk away, the woman next to him says "What a bloody cheek." Well..."What a ******* disgrace you haven't given me a ******* locker when I am a permanent member, but all the temps have lockers!" Tomorrow I will have the same problem as HR aren't in on Sundays.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haven't got a locker either but everyone keeps their bags in the cafeteria anyway. I just don't keep valuables in it and it's ok

Had a bit of a run in with my bosses boss today, at least I think that's who she is, I've only seen her a few times in 18 months and she's never done anything but interfere and cause trouble. Until she bothers to introduce herself and do something useful she's only gonna get my bad side lol. No one I know likes her.

ReputationRep:
    Woah I haven't posted in this thread in forever!!

Not long now 'til Christmas overtime starts. I'm working boxing day - what fun, extra pay though!!

And, get this. Right. Recently we've been having loads of power surges in our store. The engineers are blaming the self scan for the problem, but we've had self-scan for over a year now so it's a bit of a "..why all of a sudden would this happen?" kind of thing.

Today, we had 10 tills running because a further 20-30 power surges occurred between close at 22:00 yesterday and the start of trade at 10:00 this morning!!

So only 10 tills were bootable, no self-scan.

God only knows how we got through it...

It was bad enough yesterday being on a baskets-only checkout and seeing my queue go up into the 20s and spanning out into the fruit & veg aisles because they shut off self scan!

Wonder what's going to happen? Rumours and speculation beginning to circulate that they might get rid of the self-scan in our store and re-introduce basket-only tills.

However the fact that 10 out of 42 tills is all that would work this morning suggests there's a chance they might even have to replace all of the tills as well, particularly if they have short-circuited (which I think seems very likely with that many power surges continuously in one long string without stopping!)

Hmmm!! Turmoil in the store! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)

Not long now 'til Christmas overtime starts. I'm working boxing day - what fun, extra pay though!!

And, get this. Right. Recently we've been having loads of power surges in our store. The engineers are blaming the self scan for the problem, but we've had self-scan for over a year now so it's a bit of a "..why all of a sudden would this happen?" kind of thing.

Today, we had 10 tills running because a further 20-30 power surges occurred between close at 22:00 yesterday and the start of trade at 10:00 this morning!!

It was bad enough yesterday being on a baskets-only checkout and seeing my queue go up into the 20s and spanning out into the fruit & veg aisles because they shut off self scan!

Wonder what's going to happen? Rumours and speculation beginning to circulate that they might get rid of the self-scan in our store and re-introduce basket-only tills.

However the fact that 10 out of 42 tills is all that would work this morning suggests there's a chance they might even have to replace all of the tills as well, particularly if they have short-circuited (which I think seems very likely with that many power surges continuously in one long string without stopping!)

oh god lol my store is getting self scanners in jan not looking forward to it because customers take longer on them things than normal checkouts lol.

that does sound like a nightmare tho lol.

work today was a nightmare, customers were driving me extra nuts today lol. It was busy and this dude goes "can i pay here?" (im in the customer service desk) and i was like "No i am sorry, but you have to go to checkouts" and he said "I can normally pay here" and then walks off lol

NO you dont normally pay here lol, we have a policy that no matter how busy it is we dont take shopping at the desk.

but when i was shutting the store down, and it was my job to stop allowing people in at 4pm which is something i enjoy doing lol its like my last laugh of the day. These chavs were like "OY i want a drink, let me in *****" and i was like "ill go and get my manager who can ban you and your friends from the store if you like" they didnt say anything to that lol and got on their bikes and zoomed off lol mwahahaa

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when customers assume that I don't know the answers to their questions. We have those new voucher printers now and yesterday I have a customer his receipt and he said, "do I not get any vouchers this time?" and no vouchers had been printed so I said no, and he asked me why so I said something like "the printer just prints them out randomly, there's no particular reason." And then he goes "I'll go to the customer service desk and find out why", leaving me sat there thinking "I just told you why!" Grr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    work today was a nightmare, customers were driving me extra nuts today lol. It was busy and this dude goes "can i pay here?" (im in the customer service desk) and i was like "No i am sorry, but you have to go to checkouts" and he said "I can normally pay here" and then walks off lol

NO you dont normally pay here lol, we have a policy that no matter how busy it is we dont take shopping at the desk.
    I had that once, I was on a normal till nowhere near the kiosk and someone asked to do lottery. I told them we don't do it here you need to go to the kiosk. They then told me they can do it at the normal tills they have done it before. I just kept telling them there was no possible way they could have done the tills don't even have an option for lottery. Eventually they accepted it but I saw them asking my supervisor the same thing after they left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    I hate it when customers assume that I don't know the answers to their questions. We have those new voucher printers now and yesterday I have a customer his receipt and he said, "do I not get any vouchers this time?" and no vouchers had been printed so I said no, and he asked me why so I said something like "the printer just prints them out randomly, there's no particular reason." And then he goes "I'll go to the customer service desk and find out why", leaving me sat there thinking "I just told you why!" Grr.
    Oh thats why! I was always wondering if there's a logical reason as to which vouchers customers and why they get them. Sometimes even some who don't have Nectar cards seem to get more of those vouchers than those who spend huge amounts and get get loads of Nectar points.

ReputationRep:
    I had some crazy woman on Saturday come through my till with all these vouchers. She was trying to use them but I was looking at them closely because I'd never seen them before and she hadn't bought half the stuff they were for anyway, and when I looked carefully I could make out a Somerfield logo on the voucher and it said on the back "only to be used in Somerfield stores".

Stupid woman goes "Oh I had no idea" when I pointed it out.

Great! Smarty pants. Think you can fool me into letting you have nearly £20 off your shop with Somerfield vouchers? Think again!

BUT THEN she decided she didn't have enough money "so can I go to my car, can you hold it so I can check?" but then the till froze up when I was trying to void the transaction and whatever because I had the basket only till and I'm under 18 and have no superviser number.

Ridiculous.

So she left me high and dry with a bag of un-paid-for shopping and a frozen till and a rapidly building queue.

Also I keep getting (despite there being a big sign on the machine to say so) customers asking me about CoinStar. We can't take them at the till. You have to take them to the CSD and get the money refunded using your receipt and C* voucher.

Ahhhhh!!

I'm planning to complain to my manager about the putting under 18s on Till 11 (basket only) issue!

The store's too big. And we don't have enough supervisers Friday/Saturday/Sunday to cope with it especially considering the rule that states that if you're working on self-scan you can't leave it to authorise an alcohol sale. AND you can't have the person behind you on another till authorise it for you if they're over 18...

I hate the Government. Making the "under 18s can't sell or buy" thing!!! Before it never used to be that way... 18+ to buy, under 18s could still sell. It's about time it went back that way unless there's ID or a "dispute" involved. Things are ridiculous. :eek3: :yep: :mad: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)

LOL yeh that kept happening yesterday too, apparently it was doing it in the night on friday. It doesn't just affect the tills either! Our hand guns kept resetting themselves, it was a royal pain in the but
    Tomorrow will be fun then if its still happening. I finished at 10am yesterday, & haven't been in since.

edit: wonder if its the doorbell??? That wasn't working for months, much to everyones annoyance on early starts, then it got fixed the other day, but stopped working again friday /

ReputationRep:
    Our doorbell was broken for about 3 months over the summer, and when they were fixing it we had to spend half of a night shift in total darkness, because it was apparently something to do with the lighting circuit :s
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    when we were having the refit the electrics were all over the place lol :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    I had that once, I was on a normal till nowhere near the kiosk and someone asked to do lottery. I told them we don't do it here you need to go to the kiosk. They then told me they can do it at the normal tills they have done it before. I just kept telling them there was no possible way they could have done the tills don't even have an option for lottery. Eventually they accepted it but I saw them asking my supervisor the same thing after they left.
    haha thats messed up, we have the option for the lottery in the desk but not on the checkouts. Wat the hell lol i would be suprised by what he said if he said it to me lol.

im in work again tomorow night, the desk better had not be in a mess like it was last week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    Oh thats why! I was always wondering if there's a logical reason as to which vouchers customers and why they get them. Sometimes even some who don't have Nectar cards seem to get more of those vouchers than those who spend huge amounts and get get loads of Nectar points.
    To convince them to get a Nectar card, probably.

First alcohol sale refusal today.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    how did they take it, absurd? :tongue: i'm so glad i don't have to deal with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Our doorbell was broken for about 3 months over the summer, and when they were fixing it we had to spend half of a night shift in total darkness, because it was apparently something to do with the lighting circuit :s
    Yeh our lighting all goes off when the surge happens. I feel sorry for the night shift, that must be freaky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    LOL yeh that kept happening yesterday too, apparently it was doing it in the night on friday. It doesn't just affect the tills either! Our hand guns kept resetting themselves, it was a royal pain in the but
    Tomorrow will be fun then if its still happening. I finished at 10am yesterday, & haven't been in since.

edit: wonder if its the doorbell??? That wasn't working for months, much to everyones annoyance on early starts, then it got fixed the other day, but stopped working again friday /
    Hand guns you say, Spazzycazzy?! Well. Better avoid you from now on then hadn't I!!

I was thinking about calling the Online manager today and asking about the Online General Assistant internal vacancy but I've decided against it because the hours are stupid! Then I thought "wait - no... I'll apply for Online Shopping Assistant!!" and then I saw the hours were:

Tuesday 06:00-10:00
    Saturday 06:00-10:00
    Sunday 06:00-10:00

I couldn't make the Tuesday and the Sat/Sun would be painful!

So I've put down for First Aid training "...which attracts an additional annual payment" hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Yeh our lighting all goes off when the surge happens. I feel sorry for the night shift, that must be freaky!
    ...especially when there were 20-odd surges (without a break between) on Saturday night when all us lot had left. Therefore I think there has to have been a bit of a short-circuiting issue resulting in only a quarter of the tills working on Sunday morning!!

NIGHTMARE! :woo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.