Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gav008)
    My manage is asking me to come in 10-7 on New Years Day. My contract is 2-10 on that particular day, so what are my 'rights'(for want of a better word)?

I spoke to my HR manager about this, as my manager asked me to do something like this. As it's your day to work, you still have to work but you can start at 2 and finish at whatever time the store closes.
    Probably it will be sunday trading hours being New Year day - 9-4 or 10-5 I duno, but you start at 2 and can finish when the store closes. They still have to pay you as if you were working till 10.

Thats what I were told
    This is what is happening to me but i am just going to take the change in hours.... means i can go to a bell ringing quiz night, yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Did you click the link for Store Details when you search for the store. The popup box on the map only shows the normal hours but if you then click through to store details it should list the christmas hours at the bottom.
    Yeh, the Christmas hours are there, but not hours for new years Eve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    Will Sainsburys be open on New Year's Day? I know that the one I work at is shut for Boxing Day but there's no mention about NYE/NYD. Due to start my first shift tomorrow since September.
    We open 10-6 on NYD, and I'm working from 9 :eek: I'll regret it I'm sure after NYE :o:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    don't know about openings for NYD, i'm working that night though

ReputationRep:
    I just calle in sick, because really do have the flu and the manager goes "It's not looking good if you've only been here for 2 weeks and are calling in sick." What exactly is that supposed to mean? I told him I could get a doctors note as well.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miml)
    I just calle in sick, because really do have the flu and the manager goes "It's not looking good if you've only been here for 2 weeks and are calling in sick." What exactly is that supposed to mean? I told him I could get a doctors note as well.
    Are you a temp? Or is your job permanent after your probationary period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Are you a temp? Or is your job permanent after your probationary period?
    Permanent after probationary period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    Then your manager is right really. It doesn't look good! He's only being honest with you, about the way most companies would work really.
    I would get the doctors note. Be a shame if you dont get taken on permanantly because you were genuinely ill.
    I'm struggling to imagine anyone chatting on the net if they actually have flu though, its supposed to be pretty horrible. (cant remember when I last had it) *smug face
    (watch me get it for xmas now!) :mad:

Your manager is right but if you can get signed proof that you were genuinely ill then there's no reason why it'll count against you.

ReputationRep:
    When do we get payed this month then?
    I heard that we get money on Christmas Eve and also 1st January, it's spread out kind of thing .
    Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crawleytownfc)
    When do we get payed this month then?
    I heard that we get money on Christmas Eve and also 1st January, it's spread out kind of thing .
    Is this true?
    That didn't happen last year :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uvatiarru)
    Hi there, I'm new here.

I've just been offered a temp Xmas job as a catering assistant in the JS cafe. I originally applied for general assistant but when they offered me the job they had decided to change it. During my interview they said my contract would definitely end on the 24th of Dec - I start on saturday so this is less than 2 weeks work and I was completely open to working boxing day, NYE, whatever, but I guess I can't now even if I wanted to!

So, what are the chances that they might keep me on after my contract ends?
    If they don't offer you an extention to your contract, just phone up your manager a few times over the following month asking if he has a need for you.

(Original post by The Undertaker)
    hello im a former worker at sainsbury's left about a year ago due to intership. i applied for sainsbury's job back in September but failed on question in the interview dvd.

now i heard that former workers have come back without apllying online etc. I phoned head office they said this is not allowed but how come by local sainsbury branch allow this. the people that have come back had a great friendship relationship with the checkout Manager.

this is unfair and corroupt. has this happened to any of your local sainsburys store?
    I know that they don't always open application on the website. A person in HR was impressed by the performance of a team leader in Morrison's and asked her if she wanted to work in Sainsbury's. She agree'd.

(Original post by flipshot)
    I had that once, I was on a normal till nowhere near the kiosk and someone asked to do lottery. I told them we don't do it here you need to go to the kiosk. They then told me they can do it at the normal tills they have done it before. I just kept telling them there was no possible way they could have done the tills don't even have an option for lottery. Eventually they accepted it but I saw them asking my supervisor the same thing after they left.
    You can/could in Tesco. When I was in the kiosk we used to always get Tesco reciept roll with lottery numbers.

(Original post by Angeo)
    haha thats messed up, we have the option for the lottery in the desk but not on the checkouts. Wat the hell lol i would be suprised by what he said if he said it to me lol.

im in work again tomorow night, the desk better had not be in a mess like it was last week
    You can actually access any PLU group from the till. Just press "1" then press Plu Group, then go all the way through to about 150. You'll eventually get to it. I only know this because of the long hours I spent on the Kiosk for about 6 months in the evenings.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told I'm getting paid on Jan 1st.

I'm currently a Xmas temp, my contract runs out on Dec 31st - If they're gonna keep you on do they tell you in advance at all? Or will it be like my last day? I only do 3 nights a week, so wouldn't mind keeping it on, I don't think the chances are high, but ya never know :lol:

Also my shifts say Thursday nights 6.30pm-10.30pm but the store clsoes at 6pm Xmas eve (Thursday) so do I just have that night off I presume? Or will they give me another shift instead?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miml)
    Well then they could possibly use that against you :dontknow: Just prove the doctor's note though to show it is genuine =)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by RandomGirly)

I'm currently a Xmas temp, my contract runs out on Dec 31st - If they're gonna keep you on do they tell you in advance at all? Or will it be like my last day? I only do 3 nights a week, so wouldn't mind keeping it on, I don't think the chances are high, but ya never know :lol:

Also my shifts say Thursday nights 6.30pm-10.30pm but the store clsoes at 6pm Xmas eve (Thursday) so do I just have that night off I presume? Or will they give me another shift instead?
    I've been told 30th Dec, or 31st, or possibly 28th... lol.

You should check to see what your arrangements are for xmas eve- they might've moved your hours or you might just be expected to work the normal ones.

ReputationRep:
    My mum called the flu helpline while I was asleep and apparently I need Tamiflu, as it could be swine flu. The problem is that I am not allowed to see my GP (as it is contagious), and if I can't see my GP I can't get a note. I called them (manager) up just now and apparently it should be fine and I've been advised to take 5 days off. I'll see how it goes and call up the GP tomorrow, see if I can get a note over the phone. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_180996 says I can self-certify the first 7 days of illness, and hopefully the evidence that I have been prescribed Tamiflu should be enough for it not to go any further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomGirly)

Experience tells me they move your shift forward. If you don't want to work it your meant to take it as holiday, but I presume xmas temps don't get holiday?

AAAAAARRGGGHH I'm in from tomorrow until next Wednesday, with the following hours: 6-12, 6-12, 6-12, 4-10, 4-10, 4-10, 2-6... I'm gonna die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    AAAAAARRGGGHH I'm in from tomorrow until next Wednesday, with the following hours: 6-12, 6-12, 6-12, 4-10, 4-10, 4-10, 2-6... I'm gonna die.
    We'll be thinking of you man:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Wuss, I worked 48 hours last week, I've just had my only day off this week and i'm working 9 hour shifts for the next 8 days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.