Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    If you can get on the M5, it's yours!
    I wonder how those split shifts would work with a commute up the M5? :p:
    Half our managers come in from south Wales every day. I wonder if they share a hotel over the Christmas period ^^

ReputationRep:
    Should I be calling the absence line today? I am not scheduled to work but the handbook says to keep in touch regularly. I don't have much to say though. Still feeling sameish, fever has gone though.

Nah you don't need to call again today.

ReputationRep:
    im almost finished my probational period at the petrol station after that how can i transfer to the main store doing night shifts stocking shelves
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sdubz)
    im almost finished my probational period at the petrol station after that how can i transfer to the main store doing night shifts stocking shelves
    I think you'd only be able to do it if they had a vacancy? And surely you'd have to do the trial period again?

Apparently I'm the fastest new starter. *Feels good*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I've been told 30th Dec, or 31st, or possibly 28th... lol.

You should check to see what your arrangements are for xmas eve- they might've moved your hours or you might just be expected to work the normal ones.
    I'll find out on Friday on my next shift. I won't be doing the normal hours, as I am on counters, and they will be shut!

I think you'd only be able to do it if they had a vacancy? And surely you'd have to do the trial period again?

Apparently I'm the fastest new starter. *Feels good*
    No. Probationary period only applies once (per store). If you've passed your probationary period on Fresh (for example), you're free to move to around without restarting the probationary period.

However, it's generally assumed that you can only transfer departments if there is a vacancy, however, not always. You can put a department change request in, as there could be someone that's looking to move into your department etc.

ReputationRep:
    Now I've been told that there is no night shift on NYE, despite the store being open on NYD afterwards? :s I should find out for certain this night (first night back on, and I'm already knackered).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Now I've been told that there is no night shift on NYE, despite the store being open on NYD afterwards? :s I should find out for certain this night (first night back on, and I'm already knackered).
    ask 'em! we've got no shift NYE either.

i'm back in again tonight too and i'm toooo tired

ReputationRep:
    Our stores opening hours next Tuesday is an hour later, so rather than close at 11, we close at midnight. I'm not going to get out until 1am :l

I usually finish at midnight

I haven't been asked if I am able to do that extra hour. I might throw a spanner in the works and say I can't do that last hour ahaha.

Whats worse is that they have dumped the whole department onto me that evening. I should at least have a team leader with me on one of the busiest days of the year? Shouldn't I?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know Sainsburys policy on snow? lol

It is really coming down here tonight and incase it does turn to the pandemonium of earlier this year - London effectively shutting down, no buses etc - I don't think I'll be able to make it in tomorrow. Well not at my normal store anyway. You see I've got a store closer to me I could WALK to - would they say I could just work in that one instead to help them out as I'm sure there could be some colleagues off there due to the same thing?

Who am I kidding...it's Sainsburys, this idea is far too smart for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)

It is really coming down here tonight and incase it does turn to the pandemonium of earlier this year - London effectively shutting down, no buses etc - I don't think I'll be able to make it in tomorrow. Well not at my normal store anyway. You see I've got a store closer to me I could WALK to - would they say I could just work in that one instead to help them out as I'm sure there could be some colleagues off there due to the same thing?

LOL thats just never going to happen.
    I am off tomorrow but in at 6am saturday. I wonder if my shopping will be delivered in the morning though :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)

I remember last year it was encouraged that if you couldn't get to the store you worked in, you went to a store that you could get to if possible. At least in my area anyway.

I got called in that day to help out in my store as they knew I walked in. Pretty good day though because none of the customers could get to the store.

I wasn't able to make it in this morning. Broomed all the snow of my car but it wasn't gonna go anywhere, and the main road is icy as hell. I'm not going to risk myself for 6 hours of shopping. I would be very surprised if many people in the online shopping department makes it in, and I'd be astounded if the delivery vans would be allowed out in this. They're just big cars, they aren't designed to plough through snow. They got stuck on a little bit of ice last year, no way they're going to go far in this.

Then again I think we've had the worst of the snow in the country. 15-20cm with another 3 hours of heavy snow predicted.

ReputationRep:
    Shift was tiring.
    SO MANY OVERS :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Shift was tiring.
    SO MANY OVERS :eek:
    same, same!
    but very little to do we were finished by 6am

ReputationRep:
    I'm just waiting for that call "Can you start early today?" lol

ReputationRep:
    same, same!
    but very little to do we were finished by 6am
    Same, despite working something like 18 rollers through bacon and sausages.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Same, despite working something like 18 rollers through bacon and sausages.
    :P We've had some pretty big drops but everyone works like crazy and there's usually a lt of people in now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I wasn't able to make it in this morning. Broomed all the snow of my car but it wasn't gonna go anywhere, and the main road is icy as hell. I'm not going to risk myself for 6 hours of shopping. I would be very surprised if many people in the online shopping department makes it in, and I'd be astounded if the delivery vans would be allowed out in this. They're just big cars, they aren't designed to plough through snow. They got stuck on a little bit of ice last year, no way they're going to go far in this.

Then again I think we've had the worst of the snow in the country. 15-20cm with another 3 hours of heavy snow predicted.
    Ive not had a call yet, & my shopping is due to be delivered anytime now :eek:
    I start at 6am tomorrow, hopefully it wont snow in the night lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.