Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm working till Midnight tonight. I swear being snowed in at Sainsburys is my idea of a NIGHTMARE. Not going to happen. I'll walk it if nesseccary (6 miles)

ReputationRep:
    My shopping arrived & everyones in work. About 10cm's of snow, on top of my garden table anyway. I am not looking forward to driving in it later. Main roads are ok the driver said & one van got stuck so far, its the little roads that are a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    I'm working till Midnight tonight. I swear being snowed in at Sainsburys is my idea of a NIGHTMARE. Not going to happen. I'll walk it if nesseccary (6 miles)
    Im working until 1am. I don't particularly want to be stuck in a near empty building - especially now that I have heard our store has a "resident ghost".

Our store was build on an old monastary and apparently a monk haunts the warehouse.

When they told me I was like... :'( - then I had to walk through the warehouse.

I'm a sucker for a ghost story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Im working until 1am. I don't particularly want to be stuck in a near empty building - especially now that I have heard our store has a "resident ghost".

Our store was build on an old monastary and apparently a monk haunts the warehouse.

Does your store not have a nightshift?!

Don't be scared of ghosts, the living are far more scary :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going in today. Still feel quite crap but I actually felt quite guilty leaving my team on Wednesday, especially given it's only me and one other who saty until 10. I'll most likely have some sort of disciplinary or verbal warning or something but meh it was unfortunate timing. Should I offer to make up the hours, or would tht not make a difference (I am probably thinking this is much worse than it is, but I really like this job and don't want to lose it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)

Our store was actually built on the ground my old school was on its strange thinking ive walked on that area as a kid & now work on it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    I'm going in today. Still feel quite crap but I actually felt quite guilty leaving my team on Wednesday, especially given it's only me and one other who saty until 10. I'll most likely have some sort of disciplinary or verbal warning or something but meh it was unfortunate timing. Should I offer to make up the hours, or would tht not make a difference (I am probably thinking this is much worse than it is, but I really like this job and don't want to lose it)
    You could offer to do that? Ive dont it a couple of times earlier in the year & it doesn't go down as absent. But I didn't ring the sick line then, only my department? So that might make a difference :yep:

ReputationRep:
    heyy i have a question if anyone can help out?!
    I've recently been ill, I've been diagnosed etc.. and I really need some time off work. My doctors have recommended I stay off work and have given me doctors notes. Basically what I'd like to know is how much time off can I have? and will they pay me sick pay, does anyone know what the official policy is for sick leave etc..
    I've been there over a year if that makes a difference!
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any advice on this for me?
    Basically.. they couldnt give me a store transfer for when I moved for Uni, but they said I could be a part time vacation student. So I told them in October when I was available in Christmas, they said they would ring me back nearer the time with hours. Got to late November/Early December and nothing, so I kept ringing , noone was picking up, or the right person wasnt in the office. Got hold of them eventually and they said they hadnt sorted out the hours yet and would ring me... rang 2 days ago as I heard nothing and they said they aren't hiring any vacation students as ''thats the way business has fallen'' so I said well can I tell you the dates I will be available for Easter so you have it on record... and the woman LAUGHED down the phone as if to say haha what a loser, and then said erm haha lets get christmas out the way. WHAT IS THERE TO GET OUT OF THE WAY ... help I'm now struggling to find a job!Its so misleading, they said it would be guaranteed they would hire part time people and now I've been left like this at christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Does your store not have a nightshift?!

Don't be scared of ghosts, the living are far more scary :p:
    The store is actually pretty full with collegues, but I am unable to see them so gives the illusion that there is nobody there.

Elsewhere, my store is back in the news: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-accident.html

I'm not going to say anything about it because it isn't worth my job, but some parts of that article isn't true.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    that's awful, but parents should keep an eye on their children. ANYWHERE can be dangerous for a child if unsupervised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    I've recently been ill, I've been diagnosed etc.. and I really need some time off work. My doctors have recommended I stay off work and have given me doctors notes. Basically what I'd like to know is how much time off can I have? and will they pay me sick pay, does anyone know what the official policy is for sick leave etc..
    Thank you in advance
    I dont think anyone gets sick pay at Sainsburys? One of the downfalls of working there :mad: Lots of plus points to it though. Its just not good for people if they get sick.
    Although saying that, one of our drivers has been off with stress a couple of months now, & apparently he got pay for the first 6 weeks. Not sure if that was statatory sick pay though, through the government?

ReputationRep:
    I think it might depend on how long you've been in their employ. I would guess that you don't get anything.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the exact date we get paid next? Into my overdraft now, ooohhhhhh dear!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    Thank you in advance
    I don't know how much time you're allowed off - I think they might call you in for a discussion or something if it goes on over a month, but they can't force you to work and I don't think they can sack you if you have all doctor's notes covering every date you've been off.
    They don't pay sick pay, unless you've been there ages, can't remember how many years it is, quite a few though.

ReputationRep:
    Just found this when Googling....

SAINSBURYS SICK PAY

04.12.2009 | Author: Dog Chat | Posted in Dog Discussions
    non existant!

not a happy bunny. the week before last I fell ill, was diagnosed with swine flu, on the day, feeling rough as a badger’s arse I went in on friday morning, thinking it may pass, stayed for an hour. saturday rang to tell them am ill and not coming in. rang again monday to confirm I am not coming in. returned to work friday.

recieved payslip and have been short timed, not only a full week – 30.5 hours (having worked 1h) but an hour extra too!

am on a permanent contract and way past my probation period. turns out you must have worked there for two years and then you only get 30% sick pay.

gutted, xmas coming and a damn council tax bill too.

Christmas online shopping starts tomorrow, so it's a nice 4am start (with the snow that's supposed to fall tonight on top of the ice we already have, that should be interesting). Had to cut all the orders yesterday but only a few got cut out today, although it doesn't mean the shopping is going to be delivered if the roads are too dangerous. Store was so busy today though, it was a bloody nightmare. Ah well, all part of the fun :p:

ReputationRep:
    I went in yesterday and my manager was actually really nice about it. Said I could go home early if I wasn't feeling well. Didn't get a warning or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Christmas online shopping starts tomorrow, so it's a nice 4am start (with the snow that's supposed to fall tonight on top of the ice we already have, that should be interesting). Had to cut all the orders yesterday but only a few got cut out today, although it doesn't mean the shopping is going to be delivered if the roads are too dangerous. Store was so busy today though, it was a bloody nightmare. Ah well, all part of the fun :p:
    We've had notices to say any shopping we pick monday & tuesday has to have the date up til 25th or it goes in a blue bag. Fair play really, is your store doing that?

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    We've had notices to say any shopping we pick monday & tuesday has to have the date up til 25th or it goes in a blue bag. Fair play really, is your store doing that?
    Haven't heard anything yet but I'm always the last to hear about things. Most of the stuff we've had is dated to the 27th already anyway where the shelves have been cleared of the shorter life stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.