Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Haven't heard anything yet but I'm always the last to hear about things. Most of the stuff we've had is dated to the 27th already anyway where the shelves have been cleared of the shorter life stuff.
    Its usually the same for me. Apparently we are suppose to pack as we go along, but no one has ever told me that, only others weeks ago, so I only start packing when I get to the cereals in our store lol
    I had some customer moaning at me on thursday, saying everything is dated 24th & no later! I felt like saying get a grip! Thats a week away! Cant expect to have sausage rolls etc with more than a weeks date on them surely??? :rolleyes:
    We had notices cellotaped to the trolleys about the dates today.
    I dont mind becaue I'm having my shopping delivered monday & I dont want crappy dates myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Haven't heard anything yet but I'm always the last to hear about things. Most of the stuff we've had is dated to the 27th already anyway where the shelves have been cleared of the shorter life stuff.
    Hahaha. I know for a fact that all of the sausages and Christmas fresh stuffing on the shelf at the moment is dated the 24th. There's a lot of both of them, and I have a nasty feeling that the vast majority will end up as waste

Apparently my store won an award for best Christmas decorations in the region, and on Sunday they're being judged for the best in zone. This means that they'll have live reindeer, Santa's grotto in the JSR, and lots more such silliness. Wish I was there to see it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    bloody gm, i hate it! CANT WAIT FOR XMAS TO BE OVER. ill miss the singing xmas toys though :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Store was very cold to day, if you stood down some aisles you could see your breath!

ReputationRep:
    The other day, a woman was screaming her head off because she wanted her cigarettes to be brought to the checkout so she wouldn't have to queue for 30 seconds at the kiosk. Apparently this is illegal as she can get nectar points for them? Just another sweetheart customer at my Sainsbury's lol!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies
    i cant believe they dont pay sick pay! that is so ridiculous, i mean fair enough for the odd day when people are just pulling a sickie but when its an actual diagnosed disease leading to a period of time of work?! anyway, will just have to hope i dont get fired for all the absences, my manager doesn't like me anyway hope she does'nt use this as an excuse to fire me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    thanks for the replies
    i cant believe they dont pay sick pay! that is so ridiculous, i mean fair enough for the odd day when people are just pulling a sickie but when its an actual diagnosed disease leading to a period of time of work?! anyway, will just have to hope i dont get fired for all the absences, my manager doesn't like me anyway hope she does'nt use this as an excuse to fire me!
    lol, Sainsbury's aren't above the law. They can't fire you for being sick.

Hope you're better now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    The other day, a woman was screaming her head off because she wanted her cigarettes to be brought to the checkout so she wouldn't have to queue for 30 seconds at the kiosk. Apparently this is illegal as she can get nectar points for them? Just another sweetheart customer at my Sainsbury's lol!
    This was a service we offered in the store I used to work in. I used to think it was stupid but we had to call a supervisor and they had to go and get the cigarettes whenever a customer asked.

All the tills know not to give nectar points for them though so its not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, I have never done more than a 4hr shift so far (xmas temp) but this week I have to do 8-10hr shifts. What breaks do I get? and how long are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_pickle)
    Quick question, I have never done more than a 4hr shift so far (xmas temp) but this week I have to do 8-10hr shifts. What breaks do I get? and how long are they?
    You'll get thirty minutes paid break.
    If your shift is over lunchtime (say, 8:30 until 5:30) then you'll get an hour's unpaid lunchbreak and your paid break will be 15 minutes in the morning and fifteen minutes in the afternoon.

If your shift is at any other time of day, you'll likely just have the thirty minutes paid break sometime in the middle of your shift. Iirc, if you're under 18, you might be legally entitled to more, but I've never seen anybody get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    You'll get thirty minutes paid break.
    If your shift is over lunchtime (say, 8:30 until 5:30) then you'll get an hour's unpaid lunchbreak and your paid break will be 15 minutes in the morning and fifteen minutes in the afternoon.

If your shift is at any other time of day, you'll likely just have the thirty minutes paid break sometime in the middle of your shift. Iirc, if you're under 18, you might be legally entitled to more, but I've never seen anybody get it.
    I am doing 10-5, which I think means lunch break?! its all so confusing! and why don't they ever tell you! Looked in handbook thing but was confusing! I swear 1 day training misses out essential information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_pickle)
    I am doing 10-5, which I think means lunch break?! its all so confusing! and why don't they ever tell you! Looked in handbook thing but was confusing! I swear 1 day training misses out essential information!
    Yep, pretty sure that's a lunch break.

Didn't anyone tell you? The Sainsbury's Thread™ is your one-stop shop for Sainsbury's info old and new *

*This was intended as a joke Mr King, if any Sainsbury's employees do want to know anything about their working lives they should go to their manager who will be "happy" to help (yeh, right)

ReputationRep:
    Why did the whole world decide to go food shopping today??
    It's been mad all day up to about 6ish then it was dead all evening.

And god, do i hate Abba and Happy New Year :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    Cigarettes have to be sold "over the counter", it has nothing to do with Nectar points - the tills know when to not issue Nectar points.

We used to offer Nectar points for cigarettes, but we arn't allowed ot be seen "encouraging" smoking.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    work is soooo cold this week is gonna be boring, the whole shift is in pretty much and well even though im sure the drops will be massive but yeah lots of people = done quickly! oh and i get two 30 min paid breaks.

zzzzz want to go to bed now! hate the warehouse, it's so full and cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    work is soooo cold this week is gonna be boring, the whole shift is in pretty much and well even though im sure the drops will be massive but yeah lots of people = done quickly! oh and i get two 30 min paid breaks.

zzzzz want to go to bed now! hate the warehouse, it's so full and cold
    How long do you work to get 2 30 minute paid breaks? I don't know of anyone who gets that

Apparently they had a snow machine arrive this morning to cover the roof of the store in fake snow. Right...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    How long do you work to get 2 30 minute paid breaks? I don't know of anyone who gets that

Apparently they had a snow machine arrive this morning to cover the roof of the store in fake snow. Right...
    10 hours... three shifts a week :tongue:

lol @ fake snow, ours is covered in REAL snow!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, snow machine. We have real snow too.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh i'm up at 3am to start for 4am in the morning
    Why....oh why....did I put down for THAT!?????
    *Bangs head aginst a brick wall*

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Oooh i'm up at 3am to start for 4am in the morning
    Why....oh why....did I put down for THAT!?????
    *Bangs head aginst a brick wall*
    Hey I did it this morning, and I've got to do it for the next two mornings. It ain't that bad :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.