Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I limited myself to about three hours sleep, so I'm in line if I need to be.
    Don't know how I'll manage to stay up for Boxing day though
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i'm working boxing day too, gonna be so ****** lol cos i'll end up waking up about 5-6 am in the morning cos I always do, URGH.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure no one cares at this hour but does anyone know what the sick pay policy is? I've been ill more than 3 days and I've worked there approx a year and 6 months now? I'm so worried I might not get paid; christmas has wrecked my bank account!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orchid)
    I'm sure no one cares at this hour but does anyone know what the sick pay policy is? I've been ill more than 3 days and I've worked there approx a year and 6 months now? I'm so worried I might not get paid; christmas has wrecked my bank account!!!
    You'll get paid as long as you do a return to work interview thing when you get back, to ahve it authorised. They just ask you what was wrong, how long for and if you went to the doctor's, really.

(Original post by orchid)
    I thought you didn't get sick pay until you had been at Sainsburys for two years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I heard we're getting paid on new years day. Could be very wrong though.
    I was told we where getting paid new years eve. HR even put a sign up saying so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    I served Alex Reid today Katie Price's (ex?) boyfriend. I just served him as I would any other customer with the usual small talk. I don't think I would have recognised him if I hadn't overheard all the surrounding whispers. Very nice man, very down to earth. I thought about asking him for an autograph but I thought it would make me look very unprofessional :P

Anyone on here served anybody vaguely famous or recognisable?
    I had to approve alcohol for someone on self serve, who used to be on CBBC years ago. couldn't remember his name, recognised his face though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I was told we where getting paid new years eve. HR even put a sign up saying so.
    Same here.

Yay, SO glad I don't have work tonight and didn't have it last night either. Work tomorrow... My grandma went into Sainsbury's just before closing time yesterday and apparently the shelves were pretty much empty. Tomorrow is going to be so fun Do day staff go in as normal, the ones that are contracted to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Same here.

Yay, SO glad I don't have work tonight and didn't have it last night either. Work tomorrow... My grandma went into Sainsbury's just before closing time yesterday and apparently the shelves were pretty much empty. Tomorrow is going to be so fun Do day staff go in as normal, the ones that are contracted to?
    My store is closed boxing day, so we'll be the first people in since yesterday evening.

There was tonnnes of stuff that was given away to staff at the end of yesterday after closing. Apparently there were about 10 trolleys of stuff that was due to go out of date over Christmas that they gave away free to staff. My brother (works checkouts) came home with several carrier bags full, including a Christmas tree, some steaks, lamb leg, pizzas, salads etc. etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    My store is closed boxing day, so we'll be the first people in since yesterday evening.

There was tonnnes of stuff that was given away to staff at the end of yesterday after closing. Apparently there were about 10 trolleys of stuff that was due to go out of date over Christmas that they gave away free to staff. My brother (works checkouts) came home with several carrier bags full, including a Christmas tree, some steaks, lamb leg, pizzas, salads etc. etc.
    yeah ours is closed too... i guess we 'll be the first people in as well then urgh.

how are they going about reducing stock? is it already done or are we the night shifters gonna have to help out with that?

ReputationRep:
    I had to approve alcohol for someone on self serve, who used to be on CBBC years ago. couldn't remember his name, recognised his face though.
    Steve Wilson?:love:

ReputationRep:
    Same here.

If you haven't pre-arranged a "shift-swap" or worked earlier in the week or booked it as holiday, then you'll need to work boxing day.

Xmas eve was funny. The store manager came down half an hour past closing time and did a 5 minute countdown. Anyone after the 5 minutes didn't get served. Quite a few didn't get their food, let me add ^_^
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you haven't pre-arranged a "shift-swap" or worked earlier in the week or booked it as holiday, then you'll need to work boxing day.

Xmas eve was funny. The store manager came down half an hour past closing time and did a 5 minute countdown. Anyone after the 5 minutes didn't get served. Quite a few didn't get their food, let me add ^_^
    No I'm just interested to know if day staff are going in - otherwise surely night shifters are going to have a **** load to do? :tongue: I'm working, sadly!

ReputationRep:
    No I'm just interested to know if day staff are going in - otherwise surely night shifters are going to have a **** load to do? :tongue: I'm working, sadly!
    I'm also working We are open boxing day, so there must be people in there now stacking the shelves.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm also working We are open boxing day, so there must be people in there now stacking the shelves.
    hah, we're shut. no shift on tonight thank goodness (i'd normally be working) is tomorrow premium rate or what? i suppose even if it is i only get paid for the 3 hrs it is still boxing day :mad: haha how crap

ReputationRep:
    hah, we're shut. no shift on tonight thank goodness (i'd normally be working) is tomorrow premium rate or what? i suppose even if it is i only get paid for the 3 hrs it is still boxing day :mad: haha how crap
    I don't think tomorrow is a bank holiday (This year Boxing Day is Monday) so no premium. Monday should be the premium day I believe.

Could be wrong though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    I don't think tomorrow is a bank holiday (This year Boxing Day is Monday) so no premium. Monday should be the premium day I believe.

Could be wrong though.
    yeah that's what i thought but there's a bit of confusion about it =)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    4 hours until my 10 hours of hell starts !!!last night though til wed!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck inksplodge.

How busy is December 27th usually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)

Could be wrong though.
    I thought its still boxing day today, but because it falls on a saturday, monday then becomes a bank holiday?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.