Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    you got to feel for some managers, they get moved to where sainsburys want them to move, that could be departments or stores.

but yeah some managers will be rubbish, but in my store i really don't see a bad one. but i do find a team leader, diff dept to mine, tell us what to do, even though we know and will do.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Our manager isn't too bad but I heard they were really awful in the past. Is quite nice to me though. Yeah you do get a bit of attention from guys but for the most part I feel like I've got an extended family. Like lots of brothers or uncles or something :woo: I really like working for Sainsbury's on night shift. =) I've learned to cope with the unsociable hours and stuff and I still see my friends I just have to make sure I make time to sleep as well.

ReputationRep:
    The youngest female working nights at my store was 30ish and already married.
    That said, there were only two guys under 30 too, so it's kinda all really intimidating :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    That said, there were only two guys under 30 too, so it's kinda all really intimidating :p:
    I'm the youngest female, there's another girl in her 20s recently started and the other is like 50 ish but they're both awesome Everyone else is 20s-30s ish with a couple older than that/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Haha this was the same for me all the females were 50 plus except one 20 year old.

But on the plus side i've never been called attractive so many times in my life! Just people saying stuff like "your a beautiful girl" and "you're very pretty" x 100, my god what a confident boost. But yeh i had lovely people at my store Just terrible managers...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Our manager isn't too bad but I heard they were really awful in the past. Is quite nice to me though. Yeah you do get a bit of attention from guys but for the most part I feel like I've got an extended family. Like lots of brothers or uncles or something :woo: I really like working for Sainsbury's on night shift. =) I've learned to cope with the unsociable hours and stuff and I still see my friends I just have to make sure I make time to sleep as well.
    The problem is the mangers can make or break how good the store atmosphere is, and a good atmosphere = a good production. For me it was more that the store seemed divided, like the managers vs the workers...the fact they used to watch us on the cameras all the time etc...

Also the fact they never got stuff done when i asked...

And how instead of digging into the job they just used to wonder about basicly watching people....and i dont mean that in a positive way

I guess you are just super lucky then eh

ReputationRep:
    I quiet like my managers, there alright, my computer in the office is next to the managers pc too, so its a good job i get on with them. The duty who was in today is cool, shes not much older then me so we can have a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about holiday entitlement.
    I got my sheet to book holiday entitlement from March 2010 to March 2011 the other day and it occured to me that I never had an holiday entitlement given to me to use up until then.
    Basically because I only started a few months ago I wasn't given it because it was already halfway through the year and i had forgotten to ask.
    Will they still be able to calculate some hours for me based on the months I will have worked by March? Or is it too late?
    It's just because I wanted to take some time off in a month or so and the date isn't covered by the form I had the other day.
    Sorry if that's all a bit confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    this year for me at sainsbury's has been so easy lol, pretty funny seeing myself stroll along on GM on my own while watching other departments being mega busy.

anyone after pes2010 on xbox, it's going through tills at £15 recently, never seen an xbox game in the charts price that low. after discount grab it for £12.75.

anyways, people opening electricals and not putting it in the box properly does my head in, just stop it. we all know if you take something out of the box it's not going to go back in. takes me 5 minutes to put one back in the box, it's easy if there is one in a box on the shelf, you can take it and see how it fits in. damn hard if there isn't and it's a food processor with all the bits.
    worse is if they take the bedding out, or duvet, those we just dispose of lol.
    Yeah, I find 8 hours goes quickly on GM, especially if I take my break towards the end of the shift. After 8pm it's pretty much dead, and it'll be even quieter by the end of the month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolarEclipse)
    I have a question about holiday entitlement.
    I got my sheet to book holiday entitlement from March 2010 to March 2011 the other day and it occured to me that I never had an holiday entitlement given to me to use up until then.
    Basically because I only started a few months ago I wasn't given it because it was already halfway through the year and i had forgotten to ask.
    Will they still be able to calculate some hours for me based on the months I will have worked by March? Or is it too late?
    It's just because I wanted to take some time off in a month or so and the date isn't covered by the form I had the other day.
    Sorry if that's all a bit confusing!
    Ask HR/your department manager about it. You should be entitled to about two weeks holiday (or a bit less depending on when you started pro rata).
    If you don't take it or they aren't able to offer it all, they'll pay you the difference in unclaimed hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Ask HR/your department manager about it. You should be entitled to about two weeks holiday (or a bit less depending on when you started pro rata).
    If you don't take it or they aren't able to offer it all, they'll pay you the difference in unclaimed hours.
    Ok I'll ask HR next time I'm in work.
    Thanks for the help
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I started at the end of September and was entitled to 3 weeks holiday. We couldn't book any more holiday after the beginning of December or something though...

ReputationRep:
    There is a new convenience store opening near my store and they put posters up advertising some jobs.

There is a CTS position available on the checkouts and I'm tempted to take it. Do ya' reckon it's wishful thinking?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you may as well go for it

ReputationRep:
    anyone interested in animal crossing with wii speak, it's available for £6, £5.10 after discount.

i love just randomly scanning games and see they are lower than priced

ReputationRep:
    Oh another quick question, does anyone know what time the HR department work until in general?
    Everytime I go there, there seems to be no one in the office and all the lights are switched off :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think it depends - I think ours is open 2 or 3 days a week!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    anyone interested in animal crossing with wii speak, it's available for £6, £5.10 after discount.

i love just randomly scanning games and see they are lower than priced
    £6 :eek3: i paid £30 for mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolarEclipse)
    Oh another quick question, does anyone know what time the HR department work until in general?
    Everytime I go there, there seems to be no one in the office and all the lights are switched off :rolleyes:
    Supposed to be 8-4 weekdays. My store never sticks to this.

ReputationRep:
    I cant decide if I prefer this new BGTY packaging or the old one :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.