Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thnaks guys for all your support... hope other people are going to speak up here too RE: the paper issue...!

And you're exactly right, they end up in trolleys, on the floor etc.

Y'know? I'm glad I'm not alone here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Oh now, now, WhereIsMyMind... you know I'm serious when I post a big thing like that!!

To my knowledge, we have a baler yes but all they ever seem to put in it is waste cardboard/boxes from GM stuff. Checkouts are TERRIBLE. Everything that is rubbish we're just told to bung it in the bins... which are stuffed with carrier bags and then they're tied up, bunged in a big plastic sack and taken out as "rubbish" to the back door. Because they just mindlessly throw everything out, it can't be recycled anyway 'cos it's such a mix of materials.

I'm deadly serious.

I've never been baler trained. I can ask any of my checkout colleagues and nobody's ever been told of such a baler or trained to use one for said purpose!

You're in my store aren't you, I think it is you anyway lol
    If so, yes we have 2 balers, but they are only used for cardboard :yes:
    I agree about the carrier bag thing. I dont understand why online shoppers are bagging the shopping, why not just leave it in the tote??? The driver can then give it to the customer to empty onto their kitchen counter, then put it away when he's gone, no bag wastage. Bobs ya uncle

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    You're in my store aren't you, I think it is you anyway lol
    If so, yes we have 2 balers, but they are only used for cardboard :yes:
    I agree about the carrier bag thing. I dont understand why online shoppers are bagging the shopping, why not just leave it in the tote??? The driver can then give it to the customer to empty onto their kitchen counter, then put it away when he's gone, no bag wastage. Bobs ya uncle
    Because the drivers have six minutes to get everything in the customers house, get the paperwork signed and deal with any problems with payments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Because the drivers have six minutes to get everything in the customers house, get the paperwork signed and deal with any problems with payments.
    That and it is a right phaf about trying to empty individual items on to the counter/table when you have alot of items delivered, it is easier to have them in a carrier bag and then just take out the carrier bags, we then re use the bags though, in bins and stuff- no not a complete waste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Do they? :eek: Oh bless their little cotton socks then! Because one of them was telling me the other week about when he got stuck in the snow & had to walk the womans shopping down her road to her, she's disabled, it took him 35 minutes in all he said!
    Feel sorry for them tomorrow, its thick snow here now, more expected in the night

ReputationRep:
    Feel sorry for them tomorrow, its thick snow here now, more expected in the night
    We nearly cancelled all our deliveries this afternoon, kept going though and ended up as the only store in region completing all our deliveries

Expecting more snow here tonight too, eek! glad I've got a 7am start but not sure if there will be any work to do(Overtime for me )

ReputationRep:
    Where are you?

We're forecast snow but it hasn't started yet. If I can't get to work, then the roads are too bad to let the vans out anyway. Bit of a pickle though because I need the monies now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    We're forecast snow but it hasn't started yet. If I can't get to work, then the roads are too bad to let the vans out anyway. Bit of a pickle though because I need the monies now.
    Last time one of our managers went around the whole town in his own car picking up everyone who couldn't make it in. It took 2 hours but the customers had their food:p:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I live in the (hilly) countryside in Oxfordshire (yeah the 8inches of snow) and my superstore's in the large town 8 miles away. Hmm...This could be interesting if the snow is still here on Fri.

ReputationRep:
    My god the shelves were empty today!
    I had a simple shopping list... Milk, bread, Newspaper & Porridge
    Started at Sainsbury's thinking, yeah I'll get it all there... WRONG... No Bread, No Newspapers, No Porridge, only managed to get milk. Went to M&S... no Porridge but got Newspaper and Bread.... Then to the Co-op... they had everything, should of tried there first!
    It's crazy how people are panic buying. Ah well, day off college for me, no doubt I'll get a call asking me to start earlier.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we went in morrisons today [yes im a traitor] and they had practically nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Started at Sainsbury's thinking, yeah I'll get it all there... WRONG... No Bread, No Newspapers, No Porridge, only managed to get milk. Went to M&S... no Porridge but got Newspaper and Bread.... Then to the Co-op... they had everything, should of tried there first!
    It's crazy how people are panic buying. Ah well, day off college for me, no doubt I'll get a call asking me to start earlier.
    Is it still snowing there? Stopped here Not sure it's enough to get the day off!

ReputationRep:
    It's coming down fast here, has been since about 6pm. If it carries on there is no way I'll be able to make it to my car let alone Sainsburys.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it's snowing here and we're expecting more overnight!
    (midlands here too...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Last time one of our managers went around the whole town in his own car picking up everyone who couldn't make it in. It took 2 hours but the customers had their food:p:
    Your manager delivered all the shopping??? :eek:
    I'm in Bracknell, Berkshire. Near Windsor (south east)

Okay it's falling REALLY heavily here now. If it's supposed to be like this all night, my car is going to be buried in the drive in the morning. And I don't want to run the risk of not being able to get back home. See what it's like in the morning of course, but at this rate it's unlikely the vans will be let out tomorrow anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Finished work at 9. We've had about 15-20cm of snow here and it's still snowing heavily. My dad picked me up and we got stuck coming up the hill to my house. Looks like i'll be walking the 3 1/2 miles to work tomoz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Yeh... our store's shelves where empty too. Really busy tonight too. Abnormally busy, there where massive queues of about 10 people at 11pm at night - which isn't normal!

We also had about 30 trolleys of returns. I left the department a mess and went home.

ReputationRep:
    Your manager delivered all the shopping??? :eek:
    I'm in Bracknell, Berkshire. Near Windsor (south east)
    I think you mis-read it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.