Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Once or twice yes. You dont know who's shopping you have because its not done by name now is it, but by number. Funny after a few items though, & you think hang on, I ordered all this
    LOL!

Happy "Other Departments" Day...

It makes me laugh reading that thing... business disaster line... it's hardly a disaster is it?

I think continuity is a far more appropriate word to use to describe the happenings in these little situations!

I had to do an "other department" day last Saturdy, I had to go do GM late night for a while!! I got one of the deputy managers on my side though for tidying up the big pallets next to the back door though :p:

ReputationRep:
    do i have to speak to my manager first if i want to transfer departments and does anyone know a good reason and explanation for it.

also if there is no vacancy for that department will i still be aloud to transfer as its just 1 person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yeah, driving in at 5.15 this morning was mental. The store car park was all snow, so it was okay. Sometimes there's someone there clearing it up but not always.

On the upside, our store is totally overrun with stock where we've been able to get deliveries in, but then the snow comes down and staff can't make it in. None of the shopping has been delivered for the past three days now, and this morning I was working on bakery for half an hour to fill the shelves with yesterdays bread, and then worked on grocery for a bit. The bakery this morning only had one person in so there was no fresh bread being made, and as we're well into the middle of a refit now, customers were getting pretty annoyed. The online manager and team leaders have been getting a lot of complaints about shopping not being delivered, but those people 'can't' make it into the store to pick it up, so how do they expect the vans to go out and deliver to their door? The store manager, who is still fairly new, was saying it isn't good enough, but everyone's just getting sick of him atm and I think the drivers are going to have a little word with him soon.
    Our store manager says if she can drive her car (its a 4x4) then the delivery drivers can drive! We are only delivering morning & early afternoon shopping though. One of the drivers I know about has refused to drive in it. Which is fair enough I guess.
    Our previous online manager, who was still around when we had all that snow in february last year, simply said back then no, my drivers aren't delivering in these conditions, & that was that.
    We're expecting more snow this weekend, so apparently we're still shopping but people can pick their shopping up? They might as well just go in & do their own shopping if they have to pick it up!

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, you seem to all be having such an exciting time this week with the snow that I'm sad I missed it :p:
    I wonder if manager's claim of "Never having missed a day's work because of the weather" that he boldly made just last week is still true. (he lives in the valleys of Wales about 70 miles away)

ReputationRep:
    anyone else have a salt shortage in their store? some lady was after low sodium salt, when told it was out of stock because of the snow, she said they aren't gonna use that it's the expensive type. (psst it's not that more than normal salt)
    expect a cat litter shortage too.

oh and do you think customers will find it funny if i say 'sorry we dont have any salt left but we do have salt and vinegar crisps'
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    not sure about salt... hate it when a customer asks me about stuff thats on promotion and its out of stock and they dont seem to get that we dont have any! argghhh this is why i work nights - to avoid them as much as possible ...

ReputationRep:
    Complete nightmare at work today. It was busier than christmas time. We ran out of table salt, dishwasher salt, yeast, powdered milk and sliced bread before lunch time and people kept asking me for it every 2 minutes. There was a powercut when i was on checkouts and it took ages for the tills to reboot, there were massive queues up the aisles. Everyone was then shoved over to fresh to take everything out of the chillers, then the power came back after about 2 hours. I was back on checkouts at the time on a code 1 and there were power surges that meant the tills went off 3 times in about 20 minutes and because of the power cut the scales weren't working so everytime there was weighed veg we had to call a supervisor and they took ages to come as it was so busy. I officially hate snow

Dunno if we have a salt shortage. Had a ******** of sliced bread and milk from yesterday though.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh shop was so busy. Do not like BGTY re-branding much.

ReputationRep:
    God, it seems like everywhere was mental today! Every till open, queues up the aisles for each till, about 15-20 people waiting PER till... I've never seen the place so busy, its worse than christmas.... we even took more money than christmas!
    Trolleys completely ran out, couldn't get them back from the car park quick enough, not enough baskets to go round..... absolute madness... and all because of the snow!
    Wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Oh, and we have a salt shortage too.

ReputationRep:
    oh god, its reassuring that it wasn't just manic in my store! It was terrible. Was wiped out of bread. Literally just a few pack of rolls left. All milk was gone about from some blue topped milk.

I wasnt there at xmas, but im assuming it was worse today than it was then!

Oh & yesterday we had a pigeon fly in, it didnt know where it was going :')

ReputationRep:
    So glad I was doing my training for the first couple hours. It got really busy through the whole store (obviously GM is always a bit less busy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdubz)
    do i have to speak to my manager first if i want to transfer departments and does anyone know a good reason and explanation for it.

also if there is no vacancy for that department will i still be aloud to transfer as its just 1 person

any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhaco)
    Complete nightmare at work today. It was busier than christmas time. We ran out of table salt, dishwasher salt, yeast, powdered milk and sliced bread before lunch time and people kept asking me for it every 2 minutes. There was a powercut when i was on checkouts and it took ages for the tills to reboot, there were massive queues up the aisles. Everyone was then shoved over to fresh to take everything out of the chillers, then the power came back after about 2 hours. I was back on checkouts at the time on a code 1 and there were power surges that meant the tills went off 3 times in about 20 minutes and because of the power cut the scales weren't working so everytime there was weighed veg we had to call a supervisor and they took ages to come as it was so busy. I officially hate snow
    During our powercut, I found out that if you log off, get someone else to login, zero the scale, log them out, then log back in with your username and pass, it fixed them ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdubz)
    any help
    You need to talk to your line manager. Just tell them the truth. They'd rather move people around than lose them, otherwise they'd have to re-train people which = £££

Bear in mind though that if your moving from checkouts you'll end up being a standby, being called to checkouts every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    So glad I don't work during term time.. Christmas was enough to contend with.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    was doing bread&cake earlier and wow, i'm surprised at how many rolls etc had gone - i'd filled it up only the previous night, full to bursting and usually there's a lot left but nope :woo: the sandwiches were all gone too and a lot of stuff on fresh. not much bread either. our delivery was fairly small.

ReputationRep:
    Im sick of this bloody VAT change. Being on Price Control i naturally get the job of having to sort it out. I had 250 price increases today, i usually have 5/6 on a sunday, it took me two hours, i was nearly an hour late out of work and didn't finish what i needed to do, i ad to a write a handover to the person who wrote me a hand over saying i couldn't do any of the stuff, and they would need to do it, plus things i couldn't get done. Its doing my head in
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    sounds like a **** job, wish they'd stop changing things haha.

ReputationRep:
    lol i did a bit of price control last week, they said they were short and i was just waiting on delivery so i agreed to do some confirming, went to do foyer; vat increase on all cigarettes. :eek3:. bws didn't do my confirming rate any favours

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.