Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    lol i did a bit of price control last week, they said they were short and i was just waiting on delivery so i agreed to do some confirming, went to do foyer; vat increase on all cigarettes. :eek3:. bws didn't do my confirming rate any favours
    Haha, i was supposed to do the cigs last week, i gave them to checkouts, though i had to confirm them, takes longer then it should

ReputationRep:
    I need to change my hours some how! just no chance will manage to get from uni to work! hoping they don't take it badly! still gonna work the hours just a different day. Our store has been deserted since it snowed at least it has when I worked!

ReputationRep:
    do i have to speak to my manager first if i want to transfer departments and does anyone know a good reason and explanation for it.

also if there is no vacancy for that department will i still be aloud to transfer as its just 1 person

ReputationRep:
    jess: if they know your a student then i'm sure they'll understand if you require your hours changed.

sdubz: best to let your manager know first that you would like to change departments so he can plan just incase you do move. any reason would be fine, different scenery, not enjoying it etc.

departments have a certain number of hours they are allowed so one extra person would make it very tight to fit all workers in to the allocated lot. so they may be reluctant to bring in anyone if they dont need to.

ReputationRep:
    im at the petrol station and wanna move to night shifts at the main store - you got any other reasons

ReputationRep:
    people who moved from petrol to main store in ours said they just simply wanted to be working in the store. the reason for night shift could be just personal choice, dont think they really need to know reasons for, but you can say no customers, like to work in all different departments (produce, fresh etc.).

i suppose someone from shift could swap with you but would mean a total change of hours for them. ive always liked the idea of being in petrol, thats like running your own corner shop that sells petrol.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you No show no call?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDS)
    What happens if you No show no call?
    You get a bolloking I expect. And it will go on your file as a warning.
    Why wouldn't you ring in then?

We are delivering shopping like normal now, but the local roads are still filled with snow, I really feel for the drivers.
    I expect we have all just got a bit more used to driving in it, even though not a lot has changed in the last 5 days! :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    only move to nights if you're sure, cos it doesn't suit everyone by the sounds of it

ReputationRep:
    Hmm could do with some advice.

I currently work in the pharmacy but I've been offered a job in an independent pharmacy by one of the locums. It's about 20hrs a week (the new job) whereas my old one is 14hrs at the Junior rate (so only £4.90). The new job would pay me £6 hour but it's about 16 miles away (whereas JS is 8 miles away) and my Sainsbury's pay goes up to £6.45-6.50 soon. What should I do? I'm currently in Sixth form

Working 20 hours a week while in sixth form is a stupid idea. You don't need that much money. Stick with Sainsburys in my advice.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd stop at Sainsbury's! Don't put added pressure on yourself - it's not needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hmm could do with some advice.

I currently work in the pharmacy but I've been offered a job in an independent pharmacy by one of the locums. It's about 20hrs a week (the new job) whereas my old one is 14hrs at the Junior rate (so only £4.90). The new job would pay me £6 hour but it's about 16 miles away (whereas JS is 8 miles away) and my Sainsbury's pay goes up to £6.45-6.50 soon. What should I do? I'm currently in Sixth form

I'm with the other people, I would stick where you are. Its not like its a main job is it. You're working hard enough at the moment as it is being a student & working. And its not the best place to be but Sainsburys is a pretty safe place to work in the current climate :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I don't work at Sainsbury's but through desperation for a job and some money, I applied today for a 12 hour per week job online.

Can anyone tell me how long a reply usually takes, and if I was to get accepted and offered the job, how long should I expect to wait before actually starting?

(I just hope I passed the online test. I failed when I applied 2 years ago straight after I finished my GCSEs, but McDonalds was enough then)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Hi everyone. I don't work at Sainsbury's but through desperation for a job and some money, I applied today for a 12 hour per week job online.

Can anyone tell me how long a reply usually takes, and if I was to get accepted and offered the job, how long should I expect to wait before actually starting?

(I just hope I passed the online test. I failed when I applied 2 years ago straight after I finished my GCSEs, but McDonalds was enough then)
    It really depends on how desperate they are for staff. I applied on the Wednesday and got an interview and the job the next Friday.

Whereas some people on the induction I did applied 4 weeks beforehand.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I applied on a Sunday, was informed on the Tuesday that I had an interview, then had the interview on Wednesday, informed I had the job on Saturday, and had my induction on following Fri & Sat ... then started the next week.

ReputationRep:
    Well they've left me a message that I have an interview next tuesday. I need to phone back to arrange a time.

Is it just a standard interview you get? Or is there group stuff or practice on tills etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Well they've left me a message that I have an interview next tuesday. I need to phone back to arrange a time.

Is it just a standard interview you get? Or is there group stuff or practice on tills etc.?

It's a normal interview. You have to watch a DVD and answer a few questions, it's pretty easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crawleytownfc)
    It's a normal interview. You have to watch a DVD and answer a few questions, it's pretty easy.
    Thanks.

I'm booked in now. I'm hoping I get it, but won't be surprised if I get turned down:rolleyes:

I don't know how I'd manage working somewhere with so many people. I've only ever worked in McDonalds ( ) and there was never more than 15 people on at a time, and only about 50 on the payroll, but only about 40 actively working.

Well it's a bit different working in a supermarket with 75 people in at a time than it is working in a kitchen with 14 others.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.