The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3740
I don't want to annoy you all with my questions, but I have a few more. I know I should wait until my interview to ask, but I'd be grateful if you could answer.
What was your starting pay? The ad listed between 4.90 and 6.09 I think
When do/did they contact your referees?
What's it like for getting time off? Where I used to work you just wrote your name in a book for the days you wanted.
How monotonous is checkout work?
Reply 3741
£6.09 is for 18+, the lower is for 16-17 year olds.
They contact your referees within the first 12 weeks I believe.
You have to book pretty much all your holiday at the start of the year. Any changes of holiday have to be signed off by the department manager. You can't just walk out on holiday for a week whenever you feel like it.
Very.
FXX
Well it's a bit different working in a supermarket with 75 people in at a time than it is working in a kitchen with 14 others.

Yeah, but you get to know the people in your department, and people in other departments who you need to know.
Although if your just working checkouts, you probably don't meet too many people.
I work in online, so I know people from almost every dept, but not very well.

Plus everybody working for Sainsburys is helpful, so you can just ask other colleagues for help even if you don't know their name.
Reply 3743
Nevasleep
Yeah, but you get to know the people in your department, and people in other departments who you need to know.
Although if your just working checkouts, you probably don't meet too many people.

Plus everybody working for Sainsburys is helpful, so you can just ask other colleagues for help even if you don't know their name.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant really, I just cba to explain it :p: In a supermarket, it's not like everyone is bundled in the same area, so you're not overloaded with new faces all at once.
There's maybe 20 people tops in our dept and I've only just learnt all the names :cool: oh, I've been there nearly 3 months now :biggrin:
PJ991
I don't want to annoy you all with my questions, but I have a few more. I know I should wait until my interview to ask, but I'd be grateful if you could answer.
What was your starting pay? The ad listed between 4.90 and 6.09 I think
When do/did they contact your referees?
What's it like for getting time off? Where I used to work you just wrote your name in a book for the days you wanted.
How monotonous is checkout work?

My starting pay was £6 something, cant remember
Time off? If you haven't got a rubbish HR dept like me you might just get a holiday form out of them to be able to fill in. Ive been waiting nearly 2 weeks. And they moan when you haven't used all your holiday by march? Doesn't make much sense really does it :rolleyes:
I dont work on checkouts personally.
I have had my nose put right outta joint! I was approved a loan with my bank today, then I realised Sainsburys do them. No problem I think, ive got 14 days to cancel the bank one. Cheaper APR with staff loans through work! So I ring them up, only to go through the application & get refused! Lmao! :-(
Grrrr!, won't disclose details but just met a real spanner in work today, working behind pharmacy counter and me having finished.
No wonder our store failed MCM(?) so badly if they employ people like that!!.
Then went to buy a couple things, and it was either today's date or out of stock.

I think it was a **** YOU Sainsburys, I'm going to Tesco day:biggrin: .
Nevasleep
Grrrr!, won't disclose details but just met a real spanner in work today, working behind pharmacy counter and me having finished.
No wonder our store failed MCM(?) so badly if they employ people like that!!.
Then went to buy a couple things, and it was either today's date or out of stock.

I think it was a **** YOU Sainsburys, I'm going to Tesco day:biggrin: .

Makes me laugh when you find something on the shelf thats yesterdays date. You give it to that relivant depts staff & they just bin it. Its disgusting isn't it.
Reply 3749
ajay12345678
hi

do u no the orange jacket thing do they give you that too free

All work related tools are given to you. Even pens.
Reply 3750
Nevasleep

I worked on the kiosk for my first 6 months of employment of Sainsbury's. Since the kiosk is "away" from the checkout line, when I became a supervisor I ended up having to learn the names. After a year of being at Sainsbury's I am just getting used to the names. There's the odd one or two people I don't know (Thank god for name badges!).
Reply 3751
setmefree
They will provide you with one garment for warmth whether it be a jumper or a zipper. I dont know what store you are working in but alot of stores including the one I'm in is now sporting the plum uniform - no orange fleeces anymore.

The insides are still orange for some reason :frown:
Foulish
The insides are still orange for some reason :frown:

And the badges. They refuse to leave the orange behind completely :s-smilie:
Reply 3753
Well the orange is part of the branding. All the lorries are still orange. If they made everything plum red/purple/burgundy, they'd lose the branding.
They also have folders full of orange named badge labels in my store:woo:
Nevasleep
They also have folders full of orange named badge labels in my store:woo:

Have you all got the newer sunburst style name badges?
Reply 3756
is it guaranteed that i will be transferred departments if i ask my department manager. Also is saying that i am able to work a extra day at that department which is night shift a good reason
Reply 3757
Writer14

I have one, but I don't use it. I leave it in my car incase I forget to pick it up on the way to work. Other than that I use the dull orange one.
Reply 3758
sdubz
is it guaranteed that i will be transferred departments if i ask my department manager. Also is saying that i am able to work a extra day at that department which is night shift a good reason

It isn't guaranteed, but if your that desperate, and like my store, their wanting to cut hours, you can try bribe them by offering to drop an hour from your contract in exchange for a department change.

I don't fully understand what your asking, but I assume you want to move to nightshift. I don't know how nightshift works, but I have been told for a dayshift department swap (With the exclusion of petrol) if they say no at first you should offer to drop some of your contract time.

Needless to say, ff you do decide to drop an hour make sure you can afford it first!
Writer14

Sunburst? When I started there, they were straight orange, mat texture, now they are shiney orange/brown colour, is those what you mean?

Latest

Trending

Trending