Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I would like to apply for General Assistant (when a vacancy appears ) and i was just wondering, how much time youd end up being on the tills? Ive read in the sainsburys thread(s) already that if extra staff are needed for the tills that you could be called on, but would that be general assistants, or other roles as well?

Tills seem pretty daunting haha..

(Original post by Eddikins)
    Hi Guys

I would like to apply for General Assistant (when a vacancy appears ) and i was just wondering, how much time youd end up being on the tills? Ive read in the sainsburys thread(s) already that if extra staff are needed for the tills that you could be called on, but would that be general assistants, or other roles as well?

Tills seem pretty daunting haha..
    Hi Eddkins

Unfortunately, I can't give you a definitive answer to that question. It varies greatly on the store and/or department.

However, on average, once you're called, you'll only be on there for around ~20/30mins. In most cases, you'll only be called because someone is late. So as soon as they arrive, you'll be relieved.

It doesn't matter which department you are from. We have had people from every department down on checkouts at one point. However, if you aren't confident with checkouts, and/or would not like to be on checkouts, you could always ask not to be called. In most cases, if you aren't confident (or for whatever reason) you wont be called. For the fact that your performance could impact the MCM (Mystery Customer Measure).

ReputationRep:
    I currently work at Sainsburys on the Customer Service Desk and I sometimes do a bit of Checkout supervising if my manager's stuck for people.

I'm trying to update my CV because when I go to uni I probably wont be able to get a transfer because our HR department is rubbish so I was just wondering if anyone could please help me with what to put on my CV because my mind's gone blank.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I accepeted a job at Sainsburys, i was told over the phone on friday that i need to attend induction training on the 9th & 10th. I went in on the 9th to find out i'm a month early :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie1990)
    I accepeted a job at Sainsburys, i was told over the phone on friday that i need to attend induction training on the 9th & 10th. I went in on the 9th to find out i'm a month early :facepalm2:
    LOL! That is quite gutting tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    :eek:

I know that our store could do with some Online Shoppers. I guess I now know why the department is so short staffed. :eek3:

I would have loved to have done a PT shift on Online, but I doubt I'll have the time for it.

It seems like a nice department. :yes: I guess I prefer it more, because it's the 'list' element. I like to go into work, get a list of things what I need to do, and get on with it? :yes:
    Its definately a very easy job :yes: And to be honest I really dont think I could be doing full time, but 4 hours is great for me, I do 4 days of that & the time does go fairly fast, especially if the shops are varied & I get a frozen bunged in there somewhere It suits me fine for now, lifestyle wise, as I need to work part time, but I want to be able to go do my hours, go home & forget about it til the next shift, & this is that kind of job :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I am so fortunate to have been given an interview for customer assistant position in sainsbury's this coming thursday. Just want to ask what a Customer service assistant do in the store?

When I applied online I saw that the hours contracted was Mon 4pm to 11pm and Sat 4pm to 11pm. If I do get the job hopefully is there any chance that you could change it and move to days because I prefer working in the morning or is it fixed at those times and days?

(Original post by valzkye)
    I am so fortunate to have been given an interview for customer assistant position in sainsbury's this coming thursday. Just want to ask what a Customer service assistant do in the store?

When I applied online I saw that the hours contracted was Mon 4pm to 11pm and Sat 4pm to 11pm. If I do get the job hopefully is there any chance that you could change it and move to days because I prefer working in the morning or is it fixed at those times and days?
    Hi

Congratulations on making it to the interview stage.

As a Customer (Service) Assistant, you'll be working mainly on the checkouts and/or Customer Services Desk.

In most cases, the hours detailed on the vacancy are the hours you'll be working. Most stores are rather tight with their budget at the moment, and therefore are only hiring where they need staff. If this is the case, then the possibility of changes hours are minimal. However, it's not unheard of to be given a job offer with the hours being totally different to what you originally applied for.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    can't believe you guys left me in the old thread

(Original post by mug51)
    can't believe you guys left me in the old thread
    Aww!

I guess you've now found the new one though.. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    ...is it worth writing a letter to the manager (department) anyway and asking if any of the following kinds of vacancy appear in another department I would like an immediate transfer because I'm getting just a little tired of the abuse and a little like bored out of my skull working on checkouts?

Saturday a prime example...

Customer: "excuse me can I get cigarettes and pay for them here?"
    Me: "No sorry you have to buy them from the kiosk..."
    Customer: "What? The what? Where's that?"
    Me: "Over there... the kiosk"
    Customer: "What, you mean I have to queue again? This is ******* ridiculous where's your superviser? I don't trust you bloody lot trying to get rid of me aren't you?!"
    Me: "No... I want nothing of the sort, fine if you must ask a superviser, do it, they'll tell you the same thing..."

*customer approaches a superviser who's monitoring self-scan, asks her and gets the same response I just gave, returns to my till muttering...*

Customer: "Well that's bloody ridiculous can do it anywhere else I'm not shopping again and you're useless as well"
    Me: "Think you'll find out otherwise..."
    Customer: "Yeah well what's this with them employing you lot underage if you can't sell it you shouldn't be allowed jobs"
    Me: "Yeah... right... screw all of us eh..."
    *Customer finally pays up and leaves*
    Customer: "Don't expect to see me again, you and the rest of you won't last in your jobs"

WELL THANK YOU, ****. :mad:

I can't believe I actually got into an argument with a customer over something so ludicrous? What's he gonna do anyway.... its not the point though right?! I shouldn't have to lol - misunderstanding's one thing, that's another.

Next time, stare at them blankly for a few seconds. I do it all the time when a customer starts. Doesn't happen very often on online, but when it does there is no point trying to reason with them.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed new bags for life and super shoppers at my store, didn't realise we were getting a whole new set......they look good though!!

Thoughts??

ReputationRep:
    We have to let customers buy cigarettes from any till in our store, we don't have self service though so I guess that may be different. I wish we didn't let them though because it makes everything take longer while the supervisor goes to get them, or getting a supervisor to come over in the first place.

I also hate the excuse people use for bringing more than 5 items to the kiosk. They say they know they have more than 5 items but they need cigarettes or they need lottery as if that makes everything ok and more important than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilne21)
    I've noticed new bags for life and super shoppers at my store, didn't realise we were getting a whole new set......they look good though!!

Thoughts??
    Yeah we've been starting to get more and more of the new range in. Everyone on checkouts is obsessed with the freezer bag having I keep my cool on it. We have one just hanging high up on display because everyone loves it so much.

ReputationRep:
    Had a great day actually.........1:30 TO 7:30 Shift. As soon as I started my shift the store was empty. Then I was sent to help produce department and I was happy filling juices. Then did a couple of service calls then back to juices. Then finally they wanted me on tills but hey my Break time :d Then came back........was helping to do left behinds, trolleys and baskets. Then suddenly all the supervisors gone........just 1 supervisor and 1 Checkout managment and the manager was busy interviewing people.......Then they made me supervisor for 1 hour.....lol I t was great supervising. People were like could you call the supervise and I was like YEAH I AM THE SUPERVISOR NOW LOL..........Then had to relive fast track colleague and did 30 minutes on fast track..........I wish everyday was like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    Had a great day actually.........1:30 TO 7:30 Shift. As soon as I started my shift the store was empty. Then I was sent to help produce department and I was happy filling juices. Then did a couple of service calls then back to juices. Then finally they wanted me on tills but hey my Break time :d Then came back........was helping to do left behinds, trolleys and baskets. Then suddenly all the supervisors gone........just 1 supervisor and 1 Checkout managment and the manager was busy interviewing people.......Then they made me supervisor for 1 hour.....lol I t was great supervising. People were like could you call the supervise and I was like YEAH I AM THE SUPERVISOR NOW LOL..........Then had to relive fast track colleague and did 30 minutes on fast track..........I wish everyday was like this
    Haha! Supervisor for an hour....

Then a shift....

Then a day...

Then forever!!

Muhahahah:woo: !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Haha! Supervisor for an hour....

Then a shift....

Then a day...

Then forever!!

Muhahahah:woo: !
    Nahhhhhhhhh I will be working in Admin after 31st August lol

(Original post by Lukely)
    ...is it worth writing a letter to the manager (department) anyway and asking if any of the following kinds of vacancy appear in another department I would like an immediate transfer because I'm getting just a little tired of the abuse and a little like bored out of my skull working on checkouts?

Saturday a prime example...

Customer: "excuse me can I get cigarettes and pay for them here?"
    Me: "No sorry you have to buy them from the kiosk..."
    Customer: "What? The what? Where's that?"
    Me: "Over there... the kiosk"
    Customer: "What, you mean I have to queue again? This is ******* ridiculous where's your superviser? I don't trust you bloody lot trying to get rid of me aren't you?!"
    Me: "No... I want nothing of the sort, fine if you must ask a superviser, do it, they'll tell you the same thing..."

*customer approaches a superviser who's monitoring self-scan, asks her and gets the same response I just gave, returns to my till muttering...*

Customer: "Well that's bloody ridiculous can do it anywhere else I'm not shopping again and you're useless as well"
    Me: "Think you'll find out otherwise..."
    Customer: "Yeah well what's this with them employing you lot underage if you can't sell it you shouldn't be allowed jobs"
    Me: "Yeah... right... screw all of us eh..."
    *Customer finally pays up and leaves*
    Customer: "Don't expect to see me again, you and the rest of you won't last in your jobs"

WELL THANK YOU, ****. :mad:

I can't believe I actually got into an argument with a customer over something so ludicrous? What's he gonna do anyway.... its not the point though right?! I shouldn't have to lol - misunderstanding's one thing, that's another.
    I know it is difficult, but it's best not to even bother replying to them. If anything, it only fuels the flame (so to speak).

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, but I don't think comments like; 'Me: "Yeah... right... screw all of us eh..."' are professional. Even though it was tongue-in-cheek.

I know of a colleague that faced disciplinary action because she stood up for herself against a customer, in a similar situation are yourself. Unfortunately, in big corporations, the customer is always right, and you aren't allowed to defend yourself. Defending yourself only places your job at risk.

(Original post by smilne21)

Thoughts??
    I quite like the black one personally! :yes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.