Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdubz)
    is it best to ask to transfer after your probation period as mine ends on the 21st Jan so i was thinking early February. Also does anybody know if that NVQ qualification that is equivalent to 5 GCSE's A-C can get you into a level 3 btec national diploma course
    I would wait till the end of your probation period. Then you are fully signed off and things.

Well if the NVQ is equivalent to 5 GCSEs then it should get you into a BTEC course, as that is the usual requirement for a BTEC, but obviously NVQ and BTEC are different qualifications, so you may be better off taking an NVQ3 afterwards?

It also depends on each individual college so maybe you could ring the college and discuss entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    however on a till you sit there on your checkout and bleep the customers shopping through all day (where the only exitement is when there are vegetables or a customer who is willing to have a good old chat with you)
    :rofl:
    Pretty much sums up checkouts :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thought id share with you all a funny facebook group that is very very relevant for our store so i hope its true for other stores lol

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...0874461&ref=mf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    Quick question. Does any other store have the bizarre policy of logging off the till when not serving anyone? I got told off the other day for sitting there with my till on and no customers, apparently they do it to "stop the clock" on our IPM. We never did this in my old store.
    When i first started everyone on checkouts minus the team leaders, told me to log off when there was no customers.

then recently they clamped down and want us to stay logged on, but im not on checkouts anymore because im a customer service desk person and a runner.
    but i do believe it doesnt affect IPM either way.

ReputationRep:
    Some people in my store log out and others just bring errors up by pressing something random I imagine. How does this whole IPM thing work, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    when shud you start applying for summer vacancies in edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angeo)
    Thought id share with you all a funny facebook group that is very very relevant for our store so i hope its true for other stores lol

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...0874461&ref=mf
    Ha, I was already a member of that... so true though!

(Original post by melanz)
    when shud you start applying for summer vacancies in edinburgh?
    When the vacancies appear on the recruitment website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    interested... when do HR actually contact your referees?
    AFTER they have offered you the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    interested... when do HR actually contact your referees?
    I had been working a week when my tutor showed me the reference form just to confirm that it was for me, so I assume near enough straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Some people in my store log out and others just bring errors up by pressing something random I imagine. How does this whole IPM thing work, anyway?
    IPM is different depending on the scanners you have. If you have the old scanners it is 16 items per minute. If you have the new super-sensitive ones (that read the barcode before you even go to scan it), it's 21 items per minute.

To pause the IPM you need to go to the blue "SWIPE LOYALTY CARD" screen (Or if you did it first, the payment selection screen).

If you consistently get less than the required amount they have a word with you, and can technically result in a disciplinary (I have yet to hear someone getting a disciplinary).

I didn't know they timed the "downtime" of a cashier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    IPM is different depending on the scanners you have. If you have the old scanners it is 16 items per minute. If you have the new super-sensitive ones (that read the barcode before you even go to scan it), it's 21 items per minute.

To pause the IPM you need to go to the blue "SWIPE LOYALTY CARD" screen (Or if you did it first, the payment selection screen).

If you consistently get less than the required amount they have a word with you, and can technically result in a disciplinary (I have yet to hear someone getting a disciplinary).

I didn't know they timed the "downtime" of a cashier.
    I think it varies between stores. My current store takes IPM very seriously, has the awful old scanners and an IPM of 18. My old one had the fancy new scanners with an official IPM of just 16, but they never kept track of it or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that my store has both a target of 21IPM and the old scanners. Riiigghhtt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    I'm pretty sure that my store has both a target of 21IPM and the old scanners. Riiigghhtt...
    Same as mine... no-one can get to 21 though... i think the fastest is 20, and the slowest is about 10 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Same as mine... no-one can get to 21 though... i think the fastest is 20, and the slowest is about 10 :eek:
    I think two cashiers (of the 100 or so strong department - I think) have reached 21 (they probably weren't there full time either).
    It's a ridiculous target though: the cashiers aren't at all motivated to reach it, and the way that you're told to serve in order to achieve the IPM (scan a dozen items quickly, then pause the clock) can really piss customers off and generally affects customer service - it has no real effect on the rate at which customers pass through the tills.

ReputationRep:
    We're really pushing IPM at the moment, and I think all stores are meant to be at the moment The main reason being that checkout hours are being drastically cut across the company, so those hours remaining have to work as hard as they can to keep the queues moving. 21 IPM is quite achievable really, if you think about it it's one item around every 2 seconds. Obviously it's not aseasy if you still have the old scanners, but they are replacing them all eventually as far as I know.

So glad I don't work on checkouts. I thought our target of one item every 39 seconds on Online was crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    So glad I don't work on checkouts. I thought our target of one item every 39 seconds on Online was crazy.
    You don't need to move quite as far to pick up the next item, however :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Same here, I think. At least I don't think we have new scanners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Same here, I think. At least I don't think we have new scanners.
    New: http://www.dascus.de/shop/images/ncr78.jpg
    Old: http://www.thepossite.com/images/realscan83large.jpg

Week off in 2 weeks :woo: Seems like ages since my last one :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.