Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently booked off some holiday time which included a couple of days off around Feb time.
    Will someone get back to me to confirm that I can take that time off and how long does it usually take?
    I gave the form in towards the end of december/start of january.
    Or will it be written in on the schedule sheets up on the notice board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EverythingInTransit)
    I recently booked off some holiday time which included a couple of days off around Feb time.
    Will someone get back to me to confirm that I can take that time off and how long does it usually take?
    From my experience, they don't verbally confirm it with you; they only talk to you about it if your holiday request has been declined. Best to look at the schedule or ask your line manager about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EverythingInTransit)
    Ask for a holiday form, it will be on there if its been allowed. Unfortonutely for some of us, its the only communication our store does in regards to holidays, they really would rather we didn't ever have any at all! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I wasn't really told much about the holiday booking procedure, just gave the form in and that was about it.
    I'll check the schedules and if I can't find anything about it I'll head to HR and see if they signed and authorised my forms :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from my interview. Certainly a lot harder than a McDonald's interview :awesome: (obviously)

ReputationRep:
    yoyoyo wagwaning.

I got my induction on 26th and 27th. I know a lot of people have probably asked this before but what do I wear to the induction?!!

I am a dude. A sexy one. :| :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you don't take any holidays? Do you get paid for that? or do you just lose it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nevasleep)
    What happens if you don't take any holidays? Do you get paid for that? or do you just loose it?
    Lose it apparently. They tend to allocate you it anyway if you dont book it.

To inductions just wear smart casual. By day 2 you will all be in jeans anyway.

Good luck Pj, let us know how you get on x
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We got our uniform the first day of induction, but everyone just wore smart clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, smart but not to smart or you might look a bit silly!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, if you have applied for one position and you get an interview, is it possible to change?

Just that the position I've applied for is trolley collection but I'd rather have something in store, if that makes sense?

Sorry if this has been asked loads of times before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    Just wondering, if you have applied for one position and you get an interview, is it possible to change?

Just that the position I've applied for is trolley collection but I'd rather have something in store, if that makes sense?

Sorry if this has been asked loads of times before!
    You can change departments once you're employed, but they might be a bit peeved if you want to do that as soon as you start, because trolleys is what they hired you for. Maybe if you get the job, stick it out for a bit and ask in a few months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    You can change departments once you're employed, but they might be a bit peeved if you want to do that as soon as you start, because trolleys is what they hired you for. Maybe if you get the job, stick it out for a bit and ask in a few months?

Ah right okay that's fine, a job's better than nothing! Does anyone know what trolleys is like? Stressful? Fun?

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather do trolleys than tills. There's probably fewer people to moan at you.

Does the pay vary between depts.? I was told I'd be paid 6.07 and I looked at the site today and an Online Shoppers pay was only 5.80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I'd rather do trolleys than tills. There's probably fewer people to moan at you.

Does the pay vary between depts.? I was told I'd be paid 6.07 and I looked at the site today and an Online Shoppers pay was only 5.80.
    As far as I know all dept's pay the same, apart from team leaders/managers. Its more related to your age? Possibly length of service too? Someone else will probably know more.
    Tills better not be paid more than shoppers anyway, that will please me loads, not!

ReputationRep:
    Im finished with my probational period on friday and i still haven't finished my foundation training pack and still don't know how to do half of the stuff at the petrol station as the manager's never in when i have my shifts - also im working with a new starter on saturday and still don't know all the closing up, driveoff & refund procedures. Also should i wait till the 1st Feb to ask if i can be transferred

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    Ah right okay that's fine, a job's better than nothing! Does anyone know what trolleys is like? Stressful? Fun?
    It's one of the least stressful jobs in the store tbh. There's no manager breathing down your neck etc.

It's hardly fun, but that doesn't differentiate it from any other job in the store. Generally, expect to be... pushing trolleys all day! And stand around in the kiosk for about 5 minutes every hour chatting to the girls on the kiosk. That's about it.

It's better in the winter than the summer, and if you don't have a trolley pushing machine, there'll be a few cars you'll be afraid of hitting. Might find a few wallets and get rewards for collecting them (I was always good and declined such rewards >_>)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Pay is the same across the store, it just relates to age. £6.07 is for over 18s starting rate...

I can imagine pushing trolleys is ok - no customers to deal with but like, it's cold outside and stuff so :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have read many threads of 16 year olds that work in sainsbury's that are still in school.

AFAIK, you can only apply for jobs online at sainsbury's. So, did you just say you were online and blag it instore or apply another way?

A reply would be very helpful. My nearest has an ideal job but they go within hours!

ReputationRep:
    Back at Sainsburys now...
    I applied for the job of General Assistant.. Ive been till trained etc however my store trainer thinks im going into warehouse and all that stuff... but Ive just checked Sainsburys recruitment again, and my store are recruiting for an actual Warehouse assistant now, the same rota as mine.
    So what I want to know is, am I going into warehouse no matter what, does she just seem to think I am, can I mention this to her and see if it is the actual dept I will be definatly going into..
    Hope this makes sense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.