Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you work on the shop floor or somewhere of "high risk" my store provides safety shoes but if you are on checkouts just wear some smart shoes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    I don't work for Sainsbury's, but for Tesco. The shoes you wear depend on your stamina and your job.

If you're working on shop floor (shelf stacking or stock control), I would definitely not wear heeled shoes. You will be on your feet for your whole shift, bar your breaks, and my feet hurt enough after a five hour shift in flats, nevermind heels. I do know some women who wear heels, but they are in a very definite minority. If you're on customer services, you'll be standing still or walking short distances, so low heels are a possibility, but I would have thought high heels would still be a bit risky. If you're on a checkout, it doesn't matter what shoes you wear, as you have the choice or sitting down.
    As the OP is male, I very much doubt high-heeled shoes would be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    no orange fleeces anymore.
    I can't stand my Orange Fleece....It's just too bright and i don't like it, lol! Roll on the new Plum Zip Up's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    They will provide you with one garment for warmth whether it be a jumper or a zipper. I dont know what store you are working in but alot of stores including the one I'm in is now sporting the plum uniform - no orange fleeces anymore.
    That sucks I just got a polo shirt and trousers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    That sucks I just got a polo shirt and trousers
    It's alright, it won't be in all stores until the end of 2009, so you may have longer than you think!

ReputationRep:
    I went for an interview for Sainsburys a few weeks back and was told I got the job. But I turned the job down because I was offered another job with hours that suited me more. When I went for the interview they told me they provided trousers or even a skirt. I prusume you would wear black smart shoes or even dolly shoes for women.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I started working at my store when they'd got the new uniforms, old ones are so ugly but i'm moving to my uni store and it's much smaller so i'm worried they still have the old ones

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought I'd hate the new uniform but i've grown to quite like the blouse now.

ReputationRep:
    can you have a skirt or trousers?

sorry this is not about the uniform but I just wondered what you do on your induction days at Sainsburys ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felicity_Ella)
    can you have a skirt or trousers?

sorry this is not about the uniform but I just wondered what you do on your induction days at Sainsburys ?
    I think its just trousers and induction is just watching videos and signing forms and a tour of the store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yes Sainsbury's provide the trousers which apparently are complusory and must be worn. However, if you've got long legs - legs which they cant accomodate for, they order them!!! I started in July 2005 and then left June 2006 and I still havent seen these special ordered trousers!!!..................... .....
    I think I will fall into that category!!! Anybody know what happens whilst waiting for thr trousers to arrive? I'm 6ft 5 with particularly long legs!!!

(Original post by Darren78)
    I think I will fall into that category!!! Anybody know what happens whilst waiting for thr trousers to arrive? I'm 6ft 5 with particularly long legs!!!
    Just wear your own! . . I did and no-one said a word. I work at Asda now and they say the same rubbish of ''you must wear our trousers'' . . no-one has said anything to me of wearing my own. And furthermore, the trousers are thin, cheapy type which feel horrid against the skin (well they do against mine), hence why I wear my own long legged one's.

So long as your trousers are black, they won't bat an eyelid.

I wear my own trousers at Sainsburys and no one has said anything yet. You'll be fine as long as they look alright.

The same thing goes for the 'no trainers' rule. I have some black trainers which I use that look smart on the top so they don't look out of place,

ReputationRep:
    You can wear skirts, they are part of the uniform at my store. Women can either chose a skirt or trousers or both i think.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wearing my own trousers at Sainsbury's for 11 months, although, last month when we changed to the new uniform and people were looking at the uniforms more I bumped into the store trainer and she said to me 'are those the work trousers?' I just said 'no they are being washed' and made a sharp exit lol. I just hate the high waisted polyesters! I don't see why it matters if they are the same colour and look fine.

ReputationRep:
    At my store they put on the Checkout newsletter that it is not acceptable to wear your own trousers, you have to wear those provided, which is ok for a few shifts, but if you are working overtime, they do need to be washed, so with only one pair (they won't give me 2) its hard to wash one pair after finishing in the evening ready for the morning. I really don't see the problem with wearing own trousers, as if the customers care what we wear, especially trousers!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think aslong as they look similar enough to the work ones, are clean and presentable then there should be no problem. If anyone ever moans at me I will just tell them they are too uncomfortable.. because the high waist does sit right on my belly piercing and it would dig and just irritate it in general lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just a question guys.

Applied for sainsburys night shift. 20 hrs per week.

sun 9pm-7am and mon 9pm-7am

it will be 5.92 plus £1.45 night shift premium

im a bit confused. How much can i come out with per month i.e. what are the night shift hours and will i get paid more for a sunday plus the night shift premium?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You won't get paid more for sunday, and overtime rate is exactly the same as your normal pay. You will get about £590 every 4 weeks, and I don't recommend it at all. I used to work night shift for about 8 months and it absolutely sucks. I had bad managers who treated everyone like robots. On the plus side, after 6 months your pay goes up by about 20p, and every year, every employee gets an annual pay rise of about 25-30p. You might only get 45 minutes break for the whole 10 hour shift, depending on what store you are at. I made a good decision by leaving.

ReputationRep:
    lol i work at asda night shift for 8.50 an hour
    Managers are great well some, but we all stick together and will put any manager in there place :P
    breaks are 1 hour for my 8 hour shift paid
    foods cheap
    i work 3 days each month i pick up about 800
    its good! but you just need to get faster, i can easily do my pallet of work now within 3-4 hours depending where i am before it would take all night but you do improve.
    Plus you can have your earphones in listening to revision notes or what not :P.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.