Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miml)
    Out if interest what are the A-level/university requirements to be a store manager?
    Don't know about store manager but our deputy manager has a degree from an expoly. :dontknow: Shift manager has a degree I think, plus a management qualification. All our team leaders are doing the manager training and have maybe GCSEs I think - three of them have been there since they left school pretty much and the other has A levels.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Yeah quite alot of "managers" have worked their way up, and they have also reduced the requirements for the management scheme from Degree to A-Levels.
    Once you get into senior management, I think you are expected to move around the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Yeah all the checkouts staff in our store have different habits!! It's quite amusing... because some of us were trained by the deputy checkouts manager, some were trained by an "acting" store trainer, and others have been trained by a store trainer, and some have been 'trained' by people who have no experience with the checkout at all!!

My name is spelt wrong on the till.

Hahaha!! And... can someone please, please explain to me what the hell is it with the IPM thing?!?!

We've got these charts up in front of the clock in machine out back with a list of everybody who can use a till's operator numbers and a set of 4 'week' columns... and they put your items per minute in at the end of every week so we can all see them. What's really confusing me is the fact that they're actually putting the IPM for supervisors, and the colleagues who do self-scan!! And they get ridiculous numbers like 25-28 IPM, for doing nothing... and yet I go relatively quickly, hit the ENTER key and I still get between 14-16 IPM every week, yet people I know go as quick as me AND slower get HIGHER scores than me.

I think it's rigged. I think it's cos someone doesn't like my scanning!! I wonder who that might be? *I KNOW*

It's like I know how it works. I get it right. I get on with it and yet somehow I'm still one of the 'slow' ones. WHY...

Grrr.

As for the heating thing, my take on that is that they just want to save as much money as possible and they don't give any consideration otherwise!!

I remember they stuck laminated notices on the tables in the staff cafeteria over Christmas saying we apologise for the lack of heating etc in the store, we've had an engineer out blah blah blah only one of the 20 zones in the heating system is actually working - LIES. And funnily enough, that 1 out of 20 zones happened to be the upstairs staff area!! Hmm, bit fishy if you ask me!! No wonder we hardly saw senior management on the shop floor, at least not near checkouts over Christmas anyway!!!
    Supervisors still get their IMP counted - but because they do a large amount of saved transactions, it counts all the products on that reciept being scanned that minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    5020 1600

Haven't worked there for 5 months but I still remember that one, had to type it so many times.
    I dont think there is a single Creme Egg in existence which will actually scan!

Edit: Caramel egg is 5020 1969 too :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)

Edit: Caramel egg is 5020 1969 too
    Its also in PLU group under pick and mix
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    work tomorrow = do not want! pay day = want. still another week, why? boo, impatience.

ReputationRep:

Ive managed to find some which will scan on my little handset when i confirm tickets

ReputationRep:

I believe there is! I have found many. Though there just seems to be a lack of consistency!! WELL DONE CADBURY!

ReputationRep:
    The caramel eggs scan for me, but never creme eggs.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even try scanning creme eggs! I know the number so just put that straight in instead.
    You would of thought, after all these years that they would do something different! Maybe put a barcode label on them or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    I don't even try scanning creme eggs! I know the number so just put that straight in instead.
    You would of thought, after all these years that they would do something different! Maybe put a barcode label on them or something?
    exactly this.
    Lindt put a nice barcode sticker on top of the foil. It's a joyous occasion to get a scanning egg. And I've only been doing it 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    So on sundays we have a supervisor and one runner, and that runner has decided she doesnt wnat to run anymore because its stressful with the supervisor. Yeah the supervisor is a nutcase but i get along with her.

And in doing so i have now been picked for runner job on a sunday. I have done it as cover many times before and i really really dont want to do it all the time. its so tiring. But i am also happy that i have been picked out of all the other trained runners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    I believe there is! I have found many. Though there just seems to be a lack of consistency!! WELL DONE CADBURY!
    And who said the Kraft takeover was bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    And who said the Kraft takeover was bad?
    They should make a little wrap-around sticky label!!

ReputationRep:
    Handed in my notice!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nice =)

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing nights full time. General Asst. 40 hours.

I want to stay with Sainsbury's but want different hours. I would ideally like to do evenings and weekends. Like from 6 till 10 in the evening Mon-Fri. Maybe 8 hours on Saturday and same on Sunday if possible.

I don't want to speak to anyone officially just yet and would like to see if I can get some info on this beforehand.

You WANT a seven day week? Wow o.O
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by freshapple)
    So I'm doing nights full time. General Asst. 40 hours.

I want to stay with Sainsbury's but want different hours. I would ideally like to do evenings and weekends. Like from 6 till 10 in the evening Mon-Fri. Maybe 8 hours on Saturday and same on Sunday if possible.

I don't want to speak to anyone officially just yet and would like to see if I can get some info on this beforehand.
    It would depend on what they had available. My colleague recently switched to 'day shift' but he has to work when they want him. He also can't work 39 hours a week any more. They have enough people :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i think ive only posted once or twice on this thread but wanted to ask some advice lol!
    i got my job in sainsburys back in august but had also applied for another job for electronics company best buy at around the same time.
    well i ended up getting both jobs!
    it means now im working
    monday 9am-pmbest buy

tuesday 6pm-9pm best buy

wednesday 1pm-9pm sainsburys

thursday 9am-6pm best buy

friday 9am-6pm best buy

saturday 9am-2.45pm best buy
    saturday 6pm-10pm sainsburys

on top of those hours i also have my daughter who is nearly 2 to look after
    so i was wondering if any of you were in the same position as me then what would you do? would you carry on working all of those hours or hand in notice at one and only work at 1?

on my 9-6 i normanly have to be out of the hours by 7.40am, 6-9 i have to leave around 4.30, i am the not getting home til late so in a way i feel bad for my daughter as shes not getting to see alot of mummy or daddy (her dad is a bus driver so has odd hours aswell)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.