Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkdonut)
    When I worked for a different Sainsburys store I was on checkouts most of time, and when I started back at a new store I was on checkouts for a couple of weeks, before going to my new job of warehouse/ back door
    Have you tried chatting to the checkout manager? Easiest way back

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have an interview for a team leader position. I've heard that this will require me to do a role play, if this is true, what will it involve?, what kind of things will i be asked in it?
    Thanks
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve123321)
    Hello,
    I have an interview for a team leader position. I've heard that this will require me to do a role play, if this is true, what will it involve?, what kind of things will i be asked in it?
    Thanks
    Steve
    Hey Steve,

Welcome to TSR and the finest thread on it

Others here will be able to give you more details but I believe there is an activity of sorts down on the shopfloor for team leader positions where you have to basically run the checkouts for an hour or so to see how you'd be in certain situations. Not sure about roleplay, but it is possible. Hope this helps a little bit.

Do you work for Sainsbury's at the mo or coming in from outside?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Hey Steve,

Welcome to TSR and the finest thread on it

Others here will be able to give you more details but I believe there is an activity of sorts down on the shopfloor for team leader positions where you have to basically run the checkouts for an hour or so to see how you'd be in certain situations. Not sure about roleplay, but it is possible. Hope this helps a little bit.

Do you work for Sainsbury's at the mo or coming in from outside?
    thanks for reply....i work there at the moment, have done for a few years part time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    Promise to bring back the Christmas bonus, increase the staff discount to 50% and slip a few quid my way and you'll have my full support

Blasphemy?!

If staff discount is over a certain amount you get into trouble with the tax man and you have to declare it to them 8-)

ReputationRep:
    I got myself a nice £233.70. It feels so good to be earning money after so long. And that's only 2 weeks + induction.

Hoorah, money. Looks like they've paid me for all my overtime, but gonna have to check the payslip... Time to order my new phone

ReputationRep:
    Payday :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Payday :woo:
    Yay!.
    Can't check how much, Natwest iphone app not working:rolleyes:

Has anybody here had to claim tax back before?
    Haven't earned anywhere near £6000 this tax year, but because of my hours I'm now getting automatically taxed.

Would the best way be to call Sainsburys' tax office before April? any better ideas?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nevasleep)
    Yay!.

Haven't earned anywhere near £6000 this tax year, but because of my hours I'm now getting automatically taxed.

Would the best way be to call Sainsburys' tax office before April? any better ideas?.
    Have you seen my guide in the TSR wiki, here? Let me know (please quote me) if anything's unclear after reading that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Have you seen my guide in the TSR wiki, here? Let me know (please quote me) if anything's unclear after reading that.
    Hey thanks for the link , just read it again, as I only skimmed through it before.

Looks like I'm on an emergency tax code - 647L WK1 (for my 2 payslips so far).
    I'll pickup my latest Payslip tomorrow, if I'm still on 647L WK1 the best thing to do would be fill in a P46 and hand it into HR?

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the link , just read it again, as I only skimmed through it before.

Looks like I'm on an emergency tax code - 647L WK1 (for my 2 payslips so far).
    I'll pickup my latest Payslip tomorrow, if I'm still on 647L WK1 the best thing to do would be fill in a P46 and hand it into HR?
    Give your tax office a call first (contact details here) as this may not be necessary, but yes, completing a form P46 is often the way to fix this. Have you previously been employed (or in receipt of Jobseekers' Allowance) during this tax year (i.e., since 6 April 2009)? If you have, then just completing a P46 would probably not suffice and you'd need your tax office to take action to get onto a standard 'cumulative' tax code.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yay pay day but nearly half of it has gone already cos of rent and council tax etc. sad face anyone here clued up on council tax? i'm having to pay practically full whack and i'm sad (i live at home with parents) :mad: when i start at open uni will i technically be classed as a student therefore exempt, or does it not work that way? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yay!.

Natwest online banking wasn't working right this morning. I was lucky to eventually be able to sign in, it was pretty much taking ages to get to each page. Maybe something wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    yay pay day but nearly half of it has gone already cos of rent and council tax etc. sad face anyone here clued up on council tax? i'm having to pay practically full whack and i'm sad (i live at home with parents) :mad: when i start at open uni will i technically be classed as a student therefore exempt, or does it not work that way? :rolleyes:
    I may be wrong but you are only exempt from council tax if the people you are living with are all students.

ReputationRep:

It's strange because I was looking over my old payslips and i saw that I was paying tax when I was earning under the threashold, in this tax year.
    I am now over the threashold so I know i'm due to pay now, but confused as to why I had to pay it when I was under the threashold.
    And someone said I may be able to claim it back, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wannabe)
    I hate Tax.
    It's strange because I was looking over my old payslips and i saw that I was paying tax when I was earning under the threashold, in this tax year.
    I am now over the threashold so I know its due to pay now, but confused as to why I had to pay it when I was under the threashold.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    And someone said I may be able to claim it back, is this true?
    Income Tax (and National Insurance) are collected from employees using a system called 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE), which works on a cumulative basis, effectively spreading your personal allowance across the 'tax year'. It's not the full picture, but broadly, if you're earning at a rate that would mean that you'll exceed your tax-free 'personal allowance' over the course of the full year, then you'll likely have Income Tax deducted. I won't bore you with the technical details of the calculation (unless you're interested, in which case please ask).

As for the potential for a refund, while I don't know the full details of your situation, from what you're said I think that this is unlikely. The PAYE system automatically corrects the total amount of Income Tax that you've paid in the year each time that you're paid, so provided that you're on the correct tax code (likely "647L") you would have already received a refund if you were due one. As it is, the tax that you paid earlier in the year will most likely just form a contribution against your total liability for the year, and not be due as a refund.

ReputationRep:
    Income Tax (and National Insurance) are collected from employees using a system called 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE), which works on a cumulative basis, effectively spreading your personal allowance across the 'tax year'. It's not the full picture, but broadly, if you're earning at a rate that would mean that you'll exceed your tax-free 'personal allowance' over the course of the full year, then you'll likely have Income Tax deducted. I won't bore you with the technical details of the calculation (unless you're interested, in which case please ask).

As for the potential for a refund, while I don't know the full details of your situation, from what you're said I think that this is unlikely. The PAYE system automatically corrects the total amount of Income Tax that you've paid in the year each time that you're paid, so provided that you're on the correct tax code (likely "647L") you would have already received a refund if you were due one. As it is, the tax that you paid earlier in the year will most likely just form a contribution against your total liability for the year, and not be due as a refund.
    Ahh right I see,
    I don't know what a tax code is, but it says im on a 653L code.
    It's all very complicated! I started paying when I had earned just over £2000.
    Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wannabe)
    Ahh right I see,
    I don't know what a tax code is, but it says im on a 653L code.
    It's all very complicated! I started paying when I had earned just over £2000.
    Thank you for your help
    A 'tax code' is a way of encoding the level of personal allowance that you have. In your case, "653L" indicates a personal allowance of £6,535. You'll have to pay Income Tax (at 20%) on any income above this over the course of the year. I'm slightly surprised that this is higher than the standard allowance (currently £6,475), though that certainly doesn't necessarily meant that there's anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    A 'tax code' is a way of encoding the level of personal allowance that you have. In your case, "653L" indicates a personal allowance of £6,535. You'll have to pay Income Tax (at 20%) on any income above this over the course of the year. I'm slightly surprised that this is higher than the standard allowance (currently £6,475), though that certainly doesn't necessarily meant that there's anything wrong with it.
    Thank you!
    Appreciate the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.