Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got deducted tax aswell on my first pay slip and this is my first job so I haven't earnt over the limit. No idea who to contact.

(Original post by Charmaiinn)
    I got deducted tax aswell on my first pay slip and this is my first job so I haven't earnt over the limit. No idea who to contact.
    They project it based on you earning that much every month over the year. Contact HR.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what Sainsburys have 15 year olds doing whilst they are on work experience in their stores? And what hours do they have to do for that week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Does anyone know what Sainsburys have 15 year olds doing whilst they are on work experience in their stores? And what hours do they have to do for that week?
    Are you sure they allow under 16s to work there, even on a work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    No idea, but why on earth would anyone want to do work experience at Sainsburys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    No idea, but why on earth would anyone want to do work experience at Sainsburys?
    It would put you off working anywhere ever again right?:p:

My work experience was at the airport:cool:

I didn't think Sainsburys had any work experience people. If they do they probably get stuck upstairs in HR or in one of the other offices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I didn't think Sainsburys had any work experience people. If they do they probably get stuck upstairs in HR or in one of the other offices.
    I know they did in my store, had them putting out bread and produce. Think they must have only been about 15/16.

ReputationRep:
    We've had a few work experience people - they normally move round the different departments and help out with things. When they came to checkouts they'd do things like baskets and GLB, which saved us having to do it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah we had work experience people too, but I'm not gonna comment on what I heard happened with the ones that did...

As for people having tax deducted on their first pay slip, weren't you given a form to fill in on your induction? All the people who'd never had a job/not had one for a long time got given a piece of paper to fill in so that we wouldn't be placed on the emergency tax code.

ReputationRep:
    I once went to my store when I was 10 or 11 to see how the bakery worked,

ReputationRep:
    Thanks folks. Yes, our store takes 15 year olds for work experience. We had a girl last year, just wondered what they had them doing. Work experience isn't always connected to what they want to do when they leave school (so the letter says anyway) its an introduction to work, hours, going out to work. Sainsburys isn't the worst place to work part time though, which maybe work experience there could lead onto in a year or so, weekends.
    Was enquiring for a family member.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I kind of just want a weekday job and work Saturdays at Sainsbury's. Do you think they'd let me work the one day a week? They are incredibly short staffed on Saturdays and nobody wants to work them so?!

You need to work a minimum of 12 hours a week unless you're in exceptional circumstances... which you aren't :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    They project it based on you earning that much every month over the year. Contact HR.
    Phoned the tax office and they said it was due to them not receiving the P46 I filled in yet and it was temporary or something.

ReputationRep:
    When does period 13 end? I am leaving on Saturday 20th of March (cut off for payday this period) and have 19th/20th off so won't be going in those days. I offered to go in on the 21st (for my notice), but my dept manager said I won't be paid for that day as it is the start of a new week, and I'm not completing the week (I call BS), but he also said I may be short because I have taken all my allocated holiday hours and left earlier than the date the holidays were conditional on (if that makes any sense - basically he thinks that I have been allocated x number of holiday hours if I work until a particular day, but I am leaving before this date). On the holiday form however the last possible date I could book off was 20th March, and I am leaving on or after that (if I won't get paid for the 21st I'm not going). All I really want to know is how much monies am I getting this month, and if I have to do any overtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I kind of just want a weekday job and work Saturdays at Sainsbury's. Do you think they'd let me work the one day a week? They are incredibly short staffed on Saturdays and nobody wants to work them so?!
    I think you do have to do 12 hours a week. But thats baffles me because youngsters at college/6th form will have to do a saturday & sunday if they want to do online shopping, atleast 6 hours both days, or 8 hours one day & 4 the next. How awful never getting a lie in!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know Sainsbury's policy on tattoos? Thinking of getting one on my wrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    all the book says is "tattoos should be unobtrusive and inoffensive"

I suppose the unobtrusive bit would be open for debate. I know someone with a big one down his forearm and is allowed to have it showing when he's working at the deli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    I dont think they mind at all. We have a girl on checkouts that has big stars all up her arms from wrist to upper arm, about 5 or 6 on each arm. Some filled in, some just the outline of stars. Blergh. She always has short sleeve top uniform on too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.