Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by strawberry_princess)
    Hiya, this is what I posted the other day:

I have hol entitlement of 72 hours this year. Im leaving to go to uni in sept, so booked exactly half of my hol (36 hrs= 3 weeks). But they wrote at the top of my form that I have to book the rest of it so I asked my supervisor and she said just book it all. But surely Ill only have earned 36 hrs worth by september? What do I do? I will go and see HR about it next time Im in but Im a little confused so thought you guys might know! Thanks.
    Holidays are strictly on a pro-rata basis. So you're right in booking the amount you'll be entitled to (taking into account your leaving date).

HR have asked you to complete the holiday booking on the basis you'll be there for the whole year. In your case you're not, so the holiday allowance will need to be amended. However, chances are HR wont bother and you'll end up getting to keep that holiday.

Your supervisor is technically wrong in what they've said, but I don't blame them. In the time I worked at HR, I knew of two people in the same situation you're in. In the end however, the holiday allocation was added to their last pay; even though they were told the holiday allocation had been amended to reflect their change of circumstances.

(Original post by strawberry_princess)
    Thanks for the reply, seems noone really knows then! I dont quite get what you're saying I should do though?
    I'm saying that I would leave your holiday form as it is. So you've only requested the amount you're actually entitled to (taking into account your September leave).

Once you've explained this to your PTM/HR manager, they'll turn around giving you the whole; 'holidays are pro-rata and we'll give you an amended holiday form'. You won't get one, (because I don't think the computers have provisions to do that) and subsequently you'll end up only taking the holiday you're actually entitled to. But, because the HR department won't look further into it, once you've left, you'll find that your final pay will reflect the remaining holiday (because it's done automatically).

I'm advising you not to book the whole holiday that your sheet is currently allocating you, because your PTM/HR manager could turn around and be an arse and take that from your final pay.

ReputationRep:
    Since we're on the subject of holiday...

I started on 02/12/09 and am leaving on 17/03/10 which is 3 months and 15 days. Now according to the colleague handbook I should get (based on 27 hours a week) 41 hours of holiday. So far I have taken 25 hours and was due to take the remaining 16 hours on 19/03/10 and 20/03/10. But obviously I'm leaving before then. 9 hours were taken since the Saturday before the last pay day.

Will I be paid for the 25 hours or will they take back some of the 25 hours? I don't understand because I've worked 3 months but I'm being told that ill have to pay back some of the holiday. If anything surely i should be paid the extra 16 hours I didn't take? I don't even see how they can take back money for 25 hours because I have taken less than the holiday allocated for 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    Here's one for you...

I got put down to work overtime yesterday 12:00-16:00

That's fine. So I got there, dead on time as usual but about 13:45 the shop got quiet and they were trying to send over-timers home.

Are they actually allowed to do this (even though I said I really didn't want to go unless I absolutely had to), cos I'd re-arranged my entire day around getting there to do that overtime because I'd been asked specifically last-minute on Friday night!

I'm not overly amused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Here's one for you...

That's fine. So I got there, dead on time as usual but about 13:45 the shop got quiet and they were trying to send over-timers home.

Are they actually allowed to do this (even though I said I really didn't want to go unless I absolutely had to), cos I'd re-arranged my entire day around getting there to do that overtime because I'd been asked specifically last-minute on Friday night!

I'm not overly amused...
    I wish someone would try to send me home at times!

But that sounds odd, I mean, once you agree to overtime it's the same as your contracted hours and should be treated as such - they wouldn't try to send you home during hours you regularly work, so surely they shouldn't be doing that with overtime?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone here ever told Justin anything? and did anything come of it?

ReputationRep:
    I normally go home early if we finish work when I'm on overtime.

ReputationRep:
    Here's one for you...

I'm not overly amused...
    They did that at my store in the run up to Christmas, but that's a bit odd. Did you get sent home in the end?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't do overtime. Ever. I do 30 hours and that is enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    Here's one for you...

I'm not overly amused...

Yes they can. Overtime isn't in your contracted hours, its just extra, when they need you. If the work is finished early, they will send people doing overtime home.

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Yes they can. Overtime isn't in your contracted hours, its just extra, when they need you. If the work is finished early, they will send people doing overtime home.
    Even though that's commonly practised, it's not policy, if only Sainsbury's management were to practise their own policies!

Once you've agreed to overtime, it's (at Sainsbury's) treated as if it were your contracted hours, with the exact same obligations and 'strings' attached (notice for absence etc.)

Just as if your contracted hours were cut short, you'd get holiday in lieu or full pay, the same (according to Sainsbury's policy) should be applied to overtime.

But does it? Fat Lynda's arse from Produce does it.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    ...well then I shall be complaining in due course!!

They can say I went home willingly in the end, if they like, because I did but only because my parents were actually at home. 5 minutes later and they'd have left to go to a garden centre and I'd have been stranded at work anyway.

I did it because I wanted the money and re-arranged my whole day around them.

**** sake. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ...well then I shall be complaining in due course!!

They can say I went home willingly in the end, if they like, because I did but only because my parents were actually at home. 5 minutes later and they'd have left to go to a garden centre and I'd have been stranded at work anyway.

I did it because I wanted the money and re-arranged my whole day around them.

**** sake. :rolleyes:

Oh Lukely I keep forgeting we work in the same store. Yes, our store definately sends people home if they dont need them on overtime. It is common in online. I am doing wednesdays at the moment, overtime. If we finish the shopping at 12, they will send me home.
    Its not likely to happen mind you, we're run off our feet all but mondays at the moment. More shoppers definately needed tuesday-saturdays.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any ideas about my question on the previous page?

ReputationRep:
    I'm nearly constantly on trolleys, is there anyway I can get out of this? I was orginally on checkouts, but then now I've seemed to become the permament 'trolley boy.' Even when there are plenty others able - what ever happened to sharing? Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Did HR not given you a holiday form? This should have included the amount of hours you where entitled to, the hours holiday you mention sound about right though.

As you are leaving before the end of the Financial year, the use or lose it policy doesn't apply and you should expect all untaken holiday to be paid on top of your final paycheck.

As with anything of this nature though its always best to have a little chat with your HR department
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've got my discount card! :woo:

Overtime... Someone was refused overtime this week apparently there isn't any at all but 4 people have been able to get hold of some extra hours, and there are 3 people on holiday... plus Saturdays are ALWAYS short staffed :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke2008)
    I'm nearly constantly on trolleys, is there anyway I can get out of this? I was orginally on checkouts, but then now I've seemed to become the permament 'trolley boy.' Even when there are plenty others able - what ever happened to sharing? Haha.
    I always find it weird when you guys say you collect the trolleys - we have an external contractor!

Come in with a bandage on your wrist and when they say do the trolleys point with glee at your arm!

But srsly, tell them it isn't fair you always get lumbered with the trolleys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I always find it weird when you guys say you collect the trolleys - we have an external contractor!

Come in with a bandage on your wrist and when they say do the trolleys point with glee at your arm!

But srsly, tell them it isn't fair you always get lumbered with the trolleys.

I think thats a brilliant idea!

ReputationRep:
    Believe me I do, and they say they can get me doing what they like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.