Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    What about some admin work in the night? Like the price labels or w/e?
    Don't think anyone does that at night... not at our store any way? The guy is on about getting a wheelchair and just dressing the bottom two shelves only lol

Did I mention someone else has a leg injury? We're now 4 people down (two left, two sick) with 2 more leaving, and one person is off quite regularly with some problems. I'm soooo looking forward to work tomorrow - the biggest delivery of the week and we have like 8 people, max :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Did I mention someone else has a leg injury? We're now 4 people down (two left, two sick) with 2 more leaving, and one person is off quite regularly with some problems. I'm soooo looking forward to work tomorrow - the biggest delivery of the week and we have like 8 people, max :awesome:
    I bet the day staff are even happier about it:yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nevasleep)
    I bet the day staff are even happier about it:yep:
    The day staff at our store don't seem to do any work :lolwut: it is only toilet roll they seem to work. Everything else is left for us to do Whenever I go in the only stuff being actively worked is produce. And there are never any staff on the shop floor except on the checkouts! There is only one person on day shift who works the health and beauty stuff which is ridiculous as they are only in two days a week and we don't have time to do backstock all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RB59)
    Unfortunately most management see you as just a figure and will get you to do anything to help earn themselves higher bonuses. A lot of them don't care about you as a person and and this is part of why I decided to leave just over a year ago. Too many high and unachievable expectations, not enough reward, motivation or training. I did come back later as I was desperate for money. But a different store and I was lucky enough to have the best manager ever! No job is worth more than your health and sanity. Don't allow yourself to get pushed around. We have laws in this country to protect workers so you won't get sacked if you refuse to do something and are genuinely not able to. Although some employers will try to break the rules if they think they will get away with it.

^^^
    Good post.
    We were only talking about something similar today, some people run around doing the online shopping, getting it done in under the designated time, a few months ago one of the chaps had a stroke, he had been over doing it. And now we're hearing they are thinking of shortening the allocated shopping time for each one. So the pressure will be on even more. Saturdays are a nightmare because the shop is busy, that slows you down for various reasons.
    Online shopping isn't like any other position in the store, its been said that an 8 hour shift has you walking 10-12 miles on average per day.
    When you have extremely rich companies that keep pushing & pushing to get more & more out of you, its starts having you thinking maybe the union needs to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Just quoting to get your attention :p: We have a new pick speed target of 37 seconds in online, and we have to start the next shop as soon as we've finished the current one now rather than go back to the 1-2-3 screen when we go back to the office. This is impossible, just wondering if it's all across the business?

Ahh just seen your post. See my one above! lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    what baffles me is that sainsbury's management are willing to put everyone's health at risk for the sake of a bit more money.

ReputationRep:
    hey, any help would be appreciated

i got called for a interview this coming Monday for the online shopper role, is there anyone who knows what the interview will be about, i want to know what i should prepare and what my chances are to get this job. also what the job is actually like if anyone if knows

thanks!

P.S. what clothes would be acceptable for this interview, my plan, black shirt, black trousers, black shoes.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ You have to watch a DVD and answer a couple questions about it, and there is a short maths test.
    Just think Safety>Customer>Business, at least thats what I did.
    Then the Dept manager will talk to you about the role.

Out of interest, how long will your shifts last? 4 hours?
    As they are currently rolling out some productivity initiatives(**** off), and it seems like 4 hour shifts might be the max for new online shoppers.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ You have to watch a DVD and answer a couple questions about it, and there is a short maths test.

As they are currently rolling out some productivity initiatives(**** off), and it seems like 4 hour shifts might be the max for new online shoppers.
    thanks for reply, yea 4 hour shifts, and maths test eh :rolleyes: hmm interesting, guess i need to brush up on my addition and subtraction hah

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit pissed off today. Some old people came up with their shopping, so, as you do, start scanning. I come to a box of grapes (sealed in cellophane etc.) and some chocolate éclairs. Now the éclairs had some cream coming out the side of the box, and some managed to get onto the cellophane wrapper of the pack of grapes.

Any sane person would realise it was off the grapes, but they made a big show of it. They first started muttering while I carried on "oh what's that", "I dunno", "Should we tell him?" etc. They eventually did, and made me get someone get them a new pack. So me being on till number 30 or something ridiculous, has to shout across the whole shop to get someone.

When the manager dude came to get a new one, he just went round the corner, wiped off the cream, and brought the same pack back.

Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I was a bit pissed off today. Some old people came up with their shopping, so, as you do, start scanning. I come to a box of grapes (sealed in cellophane etc.) and some chocolate éclairs. Now the éclairs had some cream coming out the side of the box, and some managed to get onto the cellophane wrapper of the pack of grapes.

Any sane person would realise it was off the grapes, but they made a big show of it. They first started muttering while I carried on "oh what's that", "I dunno", "Should we tell him?" etc. They eventually did, and made me get someone get them a new pack. So me being on till number 30 or something ridiculous, has to shout across the whole shop to get someone.

When the manager dude came to get a new one, he just went round the corner, wiped off the cream, and brought the same pack back.

Idiots.
    Yeh, I do that too. Also if people ask for a new milk because the top has been pushed in, I just unpop it and bring it back to them.

Personally, I don't understand why people pick up boxes that are damaged? If you know you don't want a broken box don't pick a broken box up >_<
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i'm sooooooo tired

sometimes i pick up stuff that's broken without realising

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I do that too. Also if people ask for a new milk because the top has been pushed in, I just unpop it and bring it back to them.

Personally, I don't understand why people pick up boxes that are damaged? If you know you don't want a broken box don't pick a broken box up >_<
    I like that Will have to try it!
    It's silly how some people manage to pick up some of the broken items, because they are so broken, it's impossible not to notice.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    our store has started reducing items that are even just slightly damaged, like a ripped edge or something...never used to it unless it was REALLY damaged

ReputationRep:

I wonder what the logic is in 4 hour max shifts. I do 4 hours & I gotta admit I wouldn't want to do more!
    Just wondering where their reasoning behind it is though. We have a few full timers (8 hours)
    Maybe its the momentum, people start lagging after 4 hours?
    Sayishere, the black for the interview sounds fine.
    And the math test bit is easier than you think. Maths has never been my strong point, but I did alright I think, well, I got the job anyway lol
    Good luck :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    I wonder what the logic is in 4 hour max shifts. I do 4 hours & I gotta admit I wouldn't want to do more!
    Just wondering where their reasoning behind it is though. We have a few full timers (8 hours)
    Maybe its the momentum, people start lagging after 4 hours?
    Yep, its fatigue. I know after 8 hours of online, i'm dead:p:
    At my store we do alot of 6 hour shifts which work well.

We are also moving to a new build later in the year, so they may use it to cut hours:rolleyes: , and have upto 60 shoppers P/T.

What are the locations like in your store? I know if ours were correct, we'd all be alot faster

ReputationRep:
    Yep, its fatigue. I know after 8 hours of online, i'm dead:p:
    At my store we do alot of 6 hour shifts which work well.

We are also moving to a new build later in the year, so they may use it to cut hours:rolleyes: , and have upto 60 shoppers P/T.

What are the locations like in your store? I know if ours were correct, we'd all be alot faster

In terms of special offers being where they should be...bad lol
    Walkers salt n vinegar crisps for example, on offer, location it says on shelf is empty, sub it, get out the aisle & there's loads on the end of another aisle :mad:
    That is a big problem at the moment, starting to scan ends of aisles, but its hard as ours is a big shop.
    It definitely slows us down. Availability is not as good as it was a year ago I know that much. I would have maybe one or 2 subs a day a year ago, now I am likely to have about 1 per customer! :yep:
    Not sure if thats our night shift, or just stuff not in stock. But I refuse to be going out back every 5 minutes to search the warehouse. Especially when they cut the shopping times!
    Whats your average shops per day? Easter hols have been bad, the average is only about 120 a day this week! we've been majorly overstaffed & running out of work by about 11am.
    They need to change the system we think. They dont know until 9pm how much shopping is needed the next day. Thats crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i'm sooooooo tired

sometimes i pick up stuff that's broken without realising
    You should be punished.. with chopsticks in the eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    I like that Will have to try it!
    It's silly how some people manage to pick up some of the broken items, because they are so broken, it's impossible not to notice.
    I also keep a box of eggs near me, because 1 out of 10 of the boxes of eggs that go through are cracked and they pick up on it.

So rather than put 2/3 boxes of eggs into the damages, we only have one box that needs to be thrown out - saving them money. Gosh, i'm so thoughtful. (If you do this you need to make sure their the same eggs otherwise you will be shot by your manager.

ReputationRep:
    I also keep a box of eggs near me, because 1 out of 10 of the boxes of eggs that go through are cracked and they pick up on it.

So rather than put 2/3 boxes of eggs into the damages, we only have one box that needs to be thrown out - saving them money. Gosh, i'm so thoughtful. (If you do this you need to make sure their the same eggs otherwise you will be shot by your manager.

That would be a bit tricky in our store, we have organic small, medium, large, normal small, medium, large & extra large, happy eggs medium & large, family 15 eggs packs, basics, & a few others I cant remember lol

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.