Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I can beat all of those stories. I applied in May, got an interview start of June, found out I was successful at the start of July and started at the beginning of August =/

This happened to me too =)

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what a bakery assistant does?
    Uniform?
    Also do you get paid extra for unsociable hours?
    Cheers

(Original post by Mattgeezer)
    Any idea what a bakery assistant does?
    Uniform?
    Also do you get paid extra for unsociable hours?
    Cheers
    Hi

As a Bakery Assistant, you'll be assisting within the Bakery department. Jobs could include;
    Replenishing Bakery Products (Bread/Cakes etc)
    Manning the Bakery Desk (the little bit at the front where people can get open cakes etc..)
    Slicing (operating the slicing machine..)

I think the uniform is the basic Sainsbury's unifrom, with the additional white coat (and the hat).

Unsociable hours are no longer paid as standard, however, some roles and hours do have an extra bonus (mainly night shift).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Hi

As a Bakery Assistant, you'll be assisting within the Bakery department. Jobs could include;
    Replenishing Bakery Products (Bread/Cakes etc)
    Manning the Bakery Desk (the little bit at the front where people can get open cakes etc..)
    Slicing (operating the slicing machine..)

I think the uniform is the basic Sainsbury's unifrom, with the additional white coat (and the hat).

Unsociable hours are no longer paid as standard, however, some roles and hours do have an extra bonus (mainly night shift).
    Cheers for that, sounds good, although the one i've applied for has no bakery desk, so i guess it will mostly be replenishing etc,
    The position i've applied for is 6am-2pm weekends and is £6.30 an hour, sound about right?
    Cheers for the info.

EDIT: just realised its a Customer Service Assistant - Convenience with the bakery as the base dept, so does this make it any diff?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I need help with the new PLU screens!

ATM, I just change back to the old screens and go from there, but I guess they will be phased out soon.

On the new PLU screens, we get little pictures of the products. But what do we do then to select them?

Whenever I weigh bananas for example, I go to FAVOURITES and then press '2' and enter ('2' being the banana picture number). I thought this was the correct way, but whenever I do it, it says 'error with scales' or something similar.

It is not really an error with the scales, as it only ever happens with Bananas, so am I doing it right? How do you use the new PLU screens?

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, I work in a Sainsbury's where we reimburse customers' car park tickets from 70p up to a maximum of 1.40.

Today a lady came in with 2 70p tickets, and asked if she was allowed to use both (I checked the validity such as dates and times). I was unsure at first, but I didn't see the harm in allowing it (even if it was a one-off). BUT, what I did was KEY CASH AMOUNT>1.40, rather than KEY CASH AMOUNT>0.70 and then repeat again.

The difference between these techniques is important I think, as now the electronic records for my till will show that I deducted 1.40 when in fact the tickets in the till would be two 0.70 tickets (when they may be looking for a 1.40 ticket). So I am wondering if that will get me into trouble.

(Original post by Mattgeezer)
    Cheers for that, sounds good, although the one i've applied for has no bakery desk, so i guess it will mostly be replenishing etc,
    The position i've applied for is 6am-2pm weekends and is £6.30 an hour, sound about right?
    Cheers for the info.

EDIT: just realised its a Customer Service Assistant - Convenience with the bakery as the base dept, so does this make it any diff?
    Cheers
    If it doesn't have a bakery desk, then it will most probably be replenishing. As it's an early morning shift, you'll probably spend the bulk of your time taking the fresh baked stuff, and making it ready to sell - so packing and replenishing! £6.30 is a decent rate! I think the standard pay is £4.54 (under 18) £5.92 (or something) for over 18s. So the pay probably takes into account an area bonus (I think London etc has an area bonus).

I don't think the title matters too much. In most cases, it's either 'General Assistant', or 'Customer Service Assistant' with the base department being the department you'll be focussing on.

Good Luck with your application!

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Additionally, I work in a Sainsbury's where we reimburse customers' car park tickets from 70p up to a maximum of 1.40.

Today a lady came in with 2 70p tickets, and asked if she was allowed to use both (I checked the validity such as dates and times). I was unsure at first, but I didn't see the harm in allowing it (even if it was a one-off). BUT, what I did was KEY CASH AMOUNT>1.40, rather than KEY CASH AMOUNT>0.70 and then repeat again.

The difference between these techniques is important I think, as now the electronic records for my till will show that I deducted 1.40 when in fact the tickets in the till would be two 0.70 tickets (when they may be looking for a 1.40 ticket). So I am wondering if that will get me into trouble.
    I doubt it. I think when the Cash Office tally it, everything will balance and it will be fine.

However, I'm not too sure if you're supposed to use the cash option. I'm sure it's coupon is it not? I didn't have the parking rebate at my store, but we had a similar thing, and it was entered as coupon - where the ticket/receipt was initialled and put in the till.

I might be mistaken. However, if you aren't sure either (I'm sorry if I have perhaps made you doubt now..) I would confirm this with a CTS in your store on the protocol too. In any case, it may be minor, but it's better to clarify things. It could turn nasty if the person before you is pinching from the till, and as you're the one putting in cash deductions (with no cash going in the till) it could come back on you..

ReputationRep:
    Help!

I am turning 18 in 9 days, and applied for a position that says I need to be 18 (Warehouse assistant) it is in my area and it seems perfect. Will I automatically get rejected because I am currently still 17 even though it will be only for another week? I called HRSS about this before and they said something about manually checking my date of birth and if I will be 18 next week, it shouldn't be a problem, but I am just not too sure!

Another problem is that another job in my area has no title, when I click on it it says Replenishment Assistant/Sales, I tried to apply for that but it has no online questionnaire just wanted me upload my CV, and I am wondering if this is not a job I am meant to be applying for, but replenishment assistant sounded like a normal job

EDIT: It says this for the job

"Job Title R2140|Replenishment Assistant|Sales

Location Stanmore A2041 "

All applications onto the site get looked at by a human, so if they see you'll be turning 18 in a few days time they'll still call you in for interview if they think you're suitable. Go for it - what's the worst that can happen?

Not sure about the second bit though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    All applications onto the site get looked at by a human, so if they see you'll be turning 18 in a few days time they'll still call you in for interview if they think you're suitable. Go for it - what's the worst that can happen?

Not sure about the second bit though.
    Thank you, Hmm it is weird the 2nd bit, I searched through the roles on their website and could not find 'Replenishment Assistant', do you know if higher ranked jobs does not require an online questionnaire but just a CV

ReputationRep:
    In period 7 all eligible colleagues will get a payrise of 2.5%. What does it mean by "ELIGIBLE" colleagues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    just got called to say i got the job (woop! ) but my induction starts tomorrow and it's smart/casual, meaning i am panicking about what to wear :rolleyes:
    what did everyone else wear to theirs? i'm quite tempted to wear jeans with a smart top but i don't know if smart/casual fashion rules deem that unsuitable.

alsoo, i've just found out that i'm going to have to miss a whole week of work (well technically the three days of the week that i'm supposed to work) as my grandad's having to come down to live near us and he needs 24 hour care and bloody social services are too slow to do anything until the week after and my mum can't take time off, so i need to be there with him but i'm a bit worried about telling them...especially since i'm (hopefully) off to uni on the 28th Sept, meaning i'm only going to be with them for about 4 weeks. should i bring it up at the induction or wait until i start work in the store? cos the induction isn't in the same store as the one i'll be working in!
    We all (17 of us) wore smart trousers the first night, then jeans the next 2 sessions I would wear jeans if I was doing it again ive gotta admit.
    As for the other thing, no idea. I would probably of not taken the job & let someone else have it, I mean, I expect they want someone for longer than 2 weeks? Might be best to give them a ring. They might have someone on standby that will take the job who was interviewd the same time as you? Otherwise they are going to have to go through the interviewing again & pay another persons induction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Thank you, Hmm it is weird the 2nd bit, I searched through the roles on their website and could not find 'Replenishment Assistant', do you know if higher ranked jobs does not require an online questionnaire but just a CV
    Theres no such thing as a Replenshment assistant, its called 'General assistant' and no, theres no positions except store manager which doesnt require an online questionaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    Theres no such thing as a Replenshment assistant, its called 'General assistant' and no, theres no positions except store manager which doesnt require an online questionaire.
    hmm well I don't think it is for store manager, because it said under 15,500 and said produce and the pay was 6.30 ph

They obviously entered the data wrongly, but does that make the application I did, void?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Help!

I am turning 18 in 9 days, and applied for a position that says I need to be 18 (Warehouse assistant) it is in my area and it seems perfect. Will I automatically get rejected because I am currently still 17 even though it will be only for another week? I called HRSS about this before and they said something about manually checking my date of birth and if I will be 18 next week, it shouldn't be a problem, but I am just not too sure!

Another problem is that another job in my area has no title, when I click on it it says Replenishment Assistant/Sales, I tried to apply for that but it has no online questionnaire just wanted me upload my CV, and I am wondering if this is not a job I am meant to be applying for, but replenishment assistant sounded like a normal job

EDIT: It says this for the job

"Job Title R2140|Replenishment Assistant|Sales

Location Stanmore A2041 "
    Replenishment is just shelf stacking surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Replenishment is just shelf stacking surely?
    Yep that is what I thought, but there was no online questionnaire only that they wanted me to upload a CV which is very different from what I normally do, and I have applied alot (Today, once again I was told that I got through to the next stage but others are going to get the interview over me)

ReputationRep:
    I am paranoid that I am 'being watched' in my store.

I have done NOTHING wrong (and if I have, it's an innocent error due to inexperience) but I just get the impression that I am being watched. I can notice people's changed attitudes with me.

One of our long-time ccheckout staff (who also acts as a checkout captain occasionally) has been suspended in the past week or so, apparently because he was stealing from the till. WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THEY CANGET AWAY WITH THAT KIND OF THING?

Today I did a lunch cover for somebody, but I was told to open up my own till rather than just sit on someone's till while they were at lunch, and this seems very strange to me. I am always told to go to the same till, even during busy queue-busting periods.

^^ that does sound like I am being watched doesn't it? They want me on a specific till to see if anything 'goes wrong', in which case they will KNOW it's me.

:mad:

ReputationRep:

I have done NOTHING wrong (and if I have, it's an innocent error due to inexperience) but I just get the impression that I am being watched. I can notice people's changed attitudes with me.

One of our long-time ccheckout staff (who also acts as a checkout captain occasionally) has been suspended in the past week or so, apparently because he was stealing from the till. WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THEY CANGET AWAY WITH THAT KIND OF THING?

Today I did a lunch cover for somebody, but I was told to open up my own till rather than just sit on someone's till while they were at lunch, and this seems very strange to me. I am always told to go to the same till, even during busy queue-busting periods.

^^ that does sound like I am being watched doesn't it? They want me on a specific till to see if anything 'goes wrong', in which case they will KNOW it's me.

Oh dear Maybe they're just being cautious, and doing it with everyone? Giving everyone their own assigned tills.
    It must feel horrible, but they have to protect themselves. Just try and keep your head down, Im sure it'll pass

ReputationRep:

It may not be you who they are looking at - the way they wanted to make sure no one went on the other person's till could suggest that they're carrying out a spot check on that person who you were doing lunch cover for, and so by you going on would muck up the results. Also doing Spot Checks doesn't mean that anyone is under suspicion, just that a set number of checks have to be carried out each period. These are normally picked at random and has two parts - the till count part, where a report will be pulled off before and after a persons shift saying how much money should be in the till and this is compared to how much is actually in there - and then the personal search part, where you have to empty your pockets etc. Don't panic about it, and if even if they are looking at people closely, it'll just be to eliminate people so they can find out who is taking money. If you've done nothing wrong then you've nothing to worry about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.