The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4580
Spazzycazzy
That would be a bit tricky in our store, we have organic small, medium, large, normal small, medium, large & extra large, happy eggs medium & large, family 15 eggs packs, basics, & a few others I cant remember lol

Yeh we have that too, but most people buy the cheap ones.
Reply 4581
Wildebeest
This is actually a great idea. I'm always suggesting that they donate perfectly good eggs from a box where one has broken to the staff canteen so that we at least slightly cut down on food being wasted, but the whole thing just gets dumped in disposals and nobody seems to be bothered.

Hmm. The HR Manager at my store has suggested that they would like me to be a team leader, which is a really nice surprise, but I just wish something would become available that I would be suited to or have the knowledge for. As in, there are quite flexible vacancies for customer services, but my experience as a runner dictates that supervising that department isn't, well, the best experience ever, nor one that I can make a decent job of. I would definitely like to apply for bakery if it ever came up, but have no experience of the Sainsbury's side of things. I do have experience from a part time job with another employer, though it was mainly a customer role and although our store doesn't bake from scratch, the company seem to be hoping to convert that where possible. Getting promoted isn't looking that hopeful.

WRITE TO JUSTIN AND GET A SHINING STAR! Treat every Β£ as your own as they say 8-)

Our store are desperatly trying to get rid of the Easter stuff. To try and help them I put the cadbury creme eggs on the checkouts - hopefully they'll sell tomorrow.
Reply 4582
They have creme eggs on the checkouts now in my shop, but they're still full price. Night shift even started getting more out today. Considering they're now 10p in ASDA, Sainsbury's aren't with the game.
Reply 4583
Our easter eggs ran out before easter... shame I wanted some cheap chocolate :frown:
we still have some smarties eggs left!

i've done my back in and want to die, pretty much :biggrin: mainly cos its warm and sunny outside and i have to go to bed

so... good night!!!!
Reply 4585
how long does it take for a discount card to be activated after you sign the form and hand the card to the h&r office
Reply 4586
sdubz
how long does it take for a discount card to be activated after you sign the form and hand the card to the h&r office

24 hours I think.
Reply 4587
sdubz

Sorry I laughed at your use of H&R. I have a small mind.

I had a very stressful day today. I got told off by the duty manager a number of times.

"Sorry, it won't happen again" blah blah blah. x100

I bullied him in the cash office though ;D - OK, it was banter but w/e
Does anyone else use the Active Kids vouchers to punish customers? Like, if a customer doesn't respond when you say hello to them or whatever, no vouchers for them! Or is it just me? :ninja: Had quite a few ignorant customers today. And I'm getting sick of the Active Kids vouchers. They last way too long. I remember last year a customer got angry with me because I gave her like, seven vouchers instead of eight or something. >.<
teh_samby
Does anyone else use the Active Kids vouchers to punish customers? Like, if a customer doesn't respond when you say hello to them or whatever, no vouchers for them! Or is it just me? :ninja: Had quite a few ignorant customers today. And I'm getting sick of the Active Kids vouchers. They last way too long. I remember last year a customer got angry with me because I gave her like, seven vouchers instead of eight or something. >.<

I could see me doing the same thing if I worked on checkouts. How do they work then, do they get a certain amount depending on how much they spend or do you just give them a random amount?
Reply 4590
People complain to customer services if you don't give them vouchers. And if people say "keep them for the next person" do you actually give the vouchers to someone else? I don't.

Also, what's the crack with overtime? I put my name in the book for a day next week. Do I just turn up at the right time?
Reply 4591
teh_samby

Of course! And if the customer is really nice and polite then they can get a few extra AK vouchers (courtesy of previous customers who ask to have them passed on :wink: )

But generally I punish customers who don't reply to my greeting at the start of a transaction in a way I consider to be satisfactory. Punishment is that I use them as a guinea pig, to see how fast I can scan and to get my IPM up. It works though, my IPM is consistantly high thanks to the 1 in 2 customers who ignore my hellos.

They usually turn out to be quite nice and polite towards the end of the transaction though so I make a special effort to keep a smile on my face and remain polite after ignore me at the start rather than being.

On a separate note, I served an elderly customer last Saturday who was very nice, kind and polite. She said to me she'd tell the person at the customer services desk that I treated her fruits and vegetables well. I was a bit confused but kept quiet as I didn't wanna divert the Shining Star that was heading my way :biggrin: But the supervisors didn't seem to take seriously the fact that I'm careful when handling fruit and veg :frown: A few laughs and being the subject of jokes and banter, but I'm still lacking a Shining Star after 20 months at Sainsburys.
Reply 4592
PJ991
People complain to customer services if you don't give them vouchers. And if people say "keep them for the next person" do you actually give the vouchers to someone else? I don't.

Also, what's the crack with overtime? I put my name in the book for a day next week. Do I just turn up at the right time?

With the vouchers I use to keep a big pile which would build up as people say "give them to the next person". I thought of it as 'free parking' on Monopoly. It was actually quite nice giving an unsuspecting stressed-out customer with 3 rowdy kids and Β£130 worth of shopping her 13 vouchers plus about another 12 from that pile. But then I found that the vouchers were disappearing faster than ever and I hated having to call for more vouchers or ask a colleague on the till behind if I could have some of theirs, so now I'm quite stingy with the AK vouchers so that they last as long as possible.

Although sometimes if I'm low on 1s I may round the number of vouchers up for a customer by 1 or 2 and give them a 5 voucher instead of several 1s.
Anybody know how they calculate holiday pay if your leaving?

Is it something like total holiday hours / 365 = holi per day Then number of days(since April 11th) * holi per day * Β£6.03
Reply 4594
I'm fed up of AKV's too :frown: The worst thing is, we still have another couple of months left of them. What annoys me is:
- Tills run out one after another, so you go and get some for till 6, then 15 want's some, followed by till 4, then 11 etc... you get my point!
- They get left out of the till when it's closed, meaning having to get the key to get them back in the till to stop somebody taking them.
- Customers thinking they can get vouchers for spending under Β£10, then thinking I'm mean if I say no, but making their day if i give them one!

Will be glad to see them go to be honest, and I'm sure when they do, we'll still be offering them unconsiously... Are you collecting the.... oh wait!
Reply 4595
Oh-No!
I'm fed up of AKV's too :frown: The worst thing is, we still have another couple of months left of them. What annoys me is:
- Tills run out one after another, so you go and get some for till 6, then 15 want's some, followed by till 4, then 11 etc... you get my point!
- They get left out of the till when it's closed, meaning having to get the key to get them back in the till to stop somebody taking them.
- Customers thinking they can get vouchers for spending under Β£10, then thinking I'm mean if I say no, but making their day if i give them one!

Will be glad to see them go to be honest, and I'm sure when they do, we'll still be offering them unconsiously... Are you collecting the.... oh wait!

When idiots leave the school vouchers out I just put them in the "lottery trolley" and stick them in the cash office at the flight. I havent had any complaints yet about it *shrug*

Oh.. Ialso stopped saying Active Kids Vouchers. I was doing a cashier shift on the basket till and after like an hour I had said it so many times I got tongue tied. It also stops customers going "wot r active kids vouchers".

Last night I got stuck with the worst job ever. I was laminating notices for all the tills. Lets just say I was upstairs for a few hours >_<
seriously, who stacks these cages and pallettes? anyone with a bit of sense would see you should put heavy stuff on the bottom so you don't damage other stock but no, in my stock all the light and easy damageable stuff goes on the bottom with light stuff on top. we had so many packets of tablets damaged yesterday because whoever stacked the cages decided paracetamol and allergy tablets should be underneath baby milk and shampoo... plus a whole pack of fruit and fibre was damaged so that you couldn't put a single one out because it was under several heavier cereals and biscuits. it's just stupid!

we are having a stock take very soon, lets hope it's better news than last time lol.

oh, someone had obviously gone and stolen a few high priced stuff yesterday- they found cocktail sticks all over the store near the higher priced items.
Reply 4597
Foulish
Last night I got stuck with the worst job ever. I was laminating notices for all the tills. Lets just say I was upstairs for a few hours >_<

Worst job... lol... no customers, must of been hell :eek:

You know it's going to be a good shift when you are given those sorts of jobs :yes: That's until it gets busy and you have to go back :eek:
i keep getting the crappy jobs eg cereals, they're just too heavy for someone like me :frown: i look like i've been beaten up haaaha. i'm glad i don't really deal with customers.

oh, we're getting those self scan checkouts soon
Reply 4599
I think they are at the phase of rolling self checkouts out to every store (or at least most of them) now.
Every store on my region will be getting them by the end of the summer apparantly.

Latest