Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i don't understand where they're goin to put the checkouts anyway, there's no room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i don't understand where they're goin to put the checkouts anyway, there's no room...
    Take out a couple checkouts I guess.

ReputationRep:
    They will actually rip out some of your checkouts. I assumed they would put them near the store entrance, but I was surprised when they ripped out 7 of our tills in place of self scan.

(Original post by Oh-No!)
    Worst job... lol... no customers, must of been hell

You know it's going to be a good shift when you are given those sorts of jobs That's until it gets busy and you have to go back
    Don't worry, I pretend I hate those silly jobs, but I actually love them. *sad*

When we had a refit earlier in the year we lost 7 checkouts and had 6 self-scans put in place. Only reason I like the self-scans is because after a long shift starting at 6am, the last thing I want to do is have a forced conversation with the cashier about the weather which I haven't seen because I've been working since it was still dark. I want to buy my things and leave as quickly as possible, thanks :p:

ReputationRep:
    Self scans are hatefull, especially when there is 16 of them and for some reason you end up on your own :mad: grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Self scans are hatefull, especially when there is 16 of them and for some reason you end up on your own grrr.
    You have 16 self scans?!

When I was first trained on self scan I was unable to operate 9 on my own. Inexperience etc.. I just said to my manager "I can't do all 9 on my own" and preceded to closing 3 of them down.

I can now run all 9 and can probably run another 9 if I wanted it.

I now hate covering self scan. Whenever you do you ALWAYS get one idiot of a cashier saying "OMG GET ME THIS ITEM FOR THIS CUSTOMER".

"I can't I'm on self scan"

*they give me a dirty look*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    You have 16 self scans?!

When I was first trained on self scan I was unable to operate 9 on my own. Inexperience etc.. I just said to my manager "I can't do all 9 on my own" and preceded to closing 3 of them down.

I can now run all 9 and can probably run another 9 if I wanted it.

I now hate covering self scan. Whenever you do you ALWAYS get one idiot of a cashier saying "OMG GET ME THIS ITEM FOR THIS CUSTOMER".

"I can't I'm on self scan"

*they give me a dirty look*
    Yeah, my store is like a big convenience store, i think we are actually classed as being main chain but we are small compared to most stores. But it means we have 16 self scan, and usually 2 kiosk tills on and we have 2 belts, theres usually one 1 on though.

There is supposed to be 2 people on selfscan at least, but it always seems to be the way then you can end up on your own
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    hah, we don't even have that many normal checkouts! we have a really small store.

ReputationRep:
    hah, we don't even have that many normal checkouts! we have a really small store.
    Same with us, only have 15 checkouts (18 with CSD & Kiosk). We have 9 Belts and 6 basket pods. We don't know the plans yet though, so we'll have to see what happens. The refit people have been in to have a look at what needs to be done, so it's just a matter of time now, as the instal isn't until August.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know where to go to make a complaint about a manager other than HR, all our managers are so far up eachothers a*s'* nothing will ever get done and nothing ever does get done and this particular manager has taken it too far with a few too many people now, something needs to be done about it. please get back a.s.a.p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Same with us, only have 15 checkouts (18 with CSD & Kiosk). We have 9 Belts and 6 basket pods. We don't know the plans yet though, so we'll have to see what happens. The refit people have been in to have a look at what needs to be done, so it's just a matter of time now, as the instal isn't until August.
    I had to count all the tills for those notices I had to print and laminate. It appears on the main checkout line there is 35 checkouts (With the 13 self scans being counted as two), Three Kiosk, Two CSD, Two GM, Two Pharmacy.

44 altogether. With the self scan counting as 1 individual till that's 53...

If you ever have to empty the self scans of their money you will begin to hate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeyyyy1234)
    anyone know where to go to make a complaint about a manager other than HR, all our managers are so far up eachothers a*s'* nothing will ever get done and nothing ever does get done and this particular manager has taken it too far with a few too many people now, something needs to be done about it. please get back a.s.a.p
    In order: your line manager; your line managers manager; The HR Manager; The Store Manager; The regional manager; the guy above him; Justin King.

You could just ring up the Risk Avert number and tell them. They usually have stickers up in the cloakroom/toilets.

If it is serious enough, call crimestoppers.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i feel sorry for my manager, he is trying to get a department change due to serious health reasons and because he has a few run ins with the assistant manager some people reckon the assistant manager has put in a bad word for him. he hasn't been able to switch when the opportunity has arisen- someone else always gets the job. everyone on shift seems to hate the assistant manager for some reason i have only seen them a couple of times never spoken so i don't really know what they're like

oh yeah... how much does pay go up to after 6 months or whatever? i've been told my pay goes up this month and i keep forgetting to check how much? it's like £6.07 currently.

ReputationRep:
    i feel sorry for my manager, he is trying to get a department change due to serious health reasons and because he has a few run ins with the assistant manager some people reckon the assistant manager has put in a bad word for him. he hasn't been able to switch when the opportunity has arisen- someone else always gets the job. everyone on shift seems to hate the assistant manager for some reason i have only seen them a couple of times never spoken so i don't really know what they're like

oh yeah... how much does pay go up to after 6 months or whatever? i've been told my pay goes up this month and i keep forgetting to check how much? it's like £6.07 currently.
    That's a shame, think the health system is flawed at Sainsburys, seems as though everyone with a problem has issues with the company.

It differs depending on what region you're in mine went from 6.05 to 6.23 I think but I'm not 100%! It's something like that anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeyyyy1234)
    Risk Avert, usually a sign on the toilet door, or alternatively you'll have to confront HR!

Or 08000 271 371

ReputationRep:
    I got my first "behind closed doors" search today.

Shoes, Waistbands, collar, badge, pockets socks, and locker.

They must have seriously thought I took something, because random searches NEVER consist of a locker search. Most I had in my locker worth any value was my phone and about £1.20 that I chuck straight into my locker when using the machines upstairs :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I got my first "behind closed doors" search today.

Shoes, Waistbands, collar, badge, pockets socks, and locker.

They must have seriously thought I took something, because random searches NEVER consist of a locker search. Most I had in my locker worth any value was my phone and about £1.20 that I chuck straight into my locker when using the machines upstairs :P
    We occasionally get random searches but only if we're on the shopfloor and only an empty your pockets sorta thing, what could be so bad that you can carry in your socks :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I carry my keys, wallet and ipod in my pocket when working as they haven't given me a locker and there's no where to keep them. If I get searched I reckon I'll be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    You certainly will :P You can always leave them in the managers office orrr go to HR and get a locker?

ReputationRep:
    i carry my car keys in my pocket, a lot carry mobile phones. when random searches happen, all the searcher says is 'just make sure it's put in your locker'.

a wallet though will be a probs especially on checkouts if youre on there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.