Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't bring a purse to work 'cos we keep our bags in the canteen... I don't have a locker either so I keep my phone in my pocket. Aside from that I keep a tissue, a pen and my gloves in my pockets :awesome: I've never been searched though.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time, phone, car keys, wallet etc. go in the locker.

I'll have my phone and ipod on me if we're closed (and i'm working) and my wallet usually as well. This tends to be on a sunday evening when I work.
    I sometimes keep my wallet on me if I am doing shopping before the end of my shift, but that's because I don't really want to leave it lying around in my carrier bag of shopping.

ReputationRep:
    My stuff gets locked in the safe in online.
    We had random searches the other day, I dont carry anything on me at all though so that was easy.
    Not sure why they say they carry that button thing around that you have to press & if it turns red you get searched, if it goes green you dont. Because they weren't using it the other day, most people seemed to be searched.
    Lockers were searched, & left open. It didn't go down too well.
    I dont have a locker. I rarely even go upstairs unless I want a holiday form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Most of the time, phone, car keys, wallet etc. go in the locker.

I'll have my phone and ipod on me if we're closed (and i'm working) and my wallet usually as well. This tends to be on a sunday evening when I work.
    I sometimes keep my wallet on me if I am doing shopping before the end of my shift, but that's because I don't really want to leave it lying around in my carrier bag of shopping.

you should put your car keys in your locker? i never knew this :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDS)
    you should put your car keys in your locker? i never knew this
    Although Sainsbury's say you can't haveanything on you, my manager is OK with house keys, but not with car keys. If your searched and you have car keys on you they can search your car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    My stuff gets locked in the safe in online.
    We had random searches the other day, I dont carry anything on me at all though so that was easy.
    Not sure why they say they carry that button thing around that you have to press & if it turns red you get searched, if it goes green you dont. Because they weren't using it the other day, most people seemed to be searched.
    Lockers were searched, & left open. It didn't go down too well.
    I dont have a locker. I rarely even go upstairs unless I want a holiday form.
    What button thing is that?

I carry my car keys/phone/wallet with me now. I didn't use to, I used to put them in my locker like we're supposed to. But then when we had our refit they decided to replace the lockers and start charging £5 for the key, which I refuse to do. If they don't want me to carry my belongings on the shop floor, they should be providing the space to put it. They can search my car if they like, I know I don't steal anything...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yeah, we're not supposed to carry anything with us - sainsburys induction we were told we're allowed locker key and that's about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    What button thing is that?

Ive never seen it to be honest, it was on a council meeting letter a couple of months back about it. Its supposed to stop people accusing them of discrimination, singling them out, if the light says you get searched or if it says you dont, its a random kind of thing? But they didn't use it the last time we got searched, so not sure where it is!

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Ive never seen it to be honest, it was on a council meeting letter a couple of months back about it. Its supposed to stop people accusing them of discrimination, singling them out, if the light says you get searched or if it says you dont, its a random kind of thing? But they didn't use it the last time we got searched, so not sure where it is!
    Out of the store via someone's back pocket I expect...

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you refuse to press the button if you think it is fixed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    what happens if you refuse to press the button if you think it is fixed?
    Its probably classed as a refusal of search and you'll probably get a disciplinary for it.

When we first got it I was told they where able to change the "search" frequency to w/e they wanted it to be, so they could change it t only 1 in 10 get searched or 1 in 5 or w/e

tbh i've only seen it once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I carry my car keys/phone/wallet with me now. I didn't use to, I used to put them in my locker like we're supposed to. But then when we had our refit they decided to replace the lockers and start charging £5 for the key, which I refuse to do. If they don't want me to carry my belongings on the shop floor, they should be providing the space to put it. They can search my car if they like, I know I don't steal anything...
    That £5 (I Paid £8, what a scam!) is refundable as long as you don't loose the key.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have recently started working for Sainsbury's part time and have a few questions about think 25.

I obviously understand what its all about but wondered if some people who have worked on checkouts could give me their views and experience.

Here's my question-

Say a man looking about 30/40 odd came to the till with some beer and he had his 15 year old daughter with him. Now its clear he's the one buying the drink but his daughter is helping out as he's doing his grocery shopping etc too. Would you really need to ID the daughter in order to allow him to buy it?

Thats the only real part I am not clear on, obviously if its a group of lads and the oldest one has the ID you still need to ID them all etc, I just wasn't clear about the above scenario.

Any other info would be great, ta. For example if you were to serve someone underage what are the chances of actually being prosecuted, aka police watching or a sercuity guard stopping the customers outside.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerPele)
    Hi

I have recently started working for Sainsbury's part time and have a few questions about think 25.

I obviously understand what its all about but wondered if some people who have worked on checkouts could give me their views and experience.

Here's my question-

Say a man looking about 30/40 odd came to the till with some beer and he had his 15 year old daughter with him. Now its clear he's the one buying the drink but his daughter is helping out as he's doing his grocery shopping etc too. Would you really need to ID the daughter in order to allow him to buy it?

Thats the only real part I am not clear on, obviously if its a group of lads and the oldest one has the ID you still need to ID them all etc, I just wasn't clear about the above scenario.

Any other info would be great, ta. For example if you were to serve someone underage what are the chances of actually being prosecuted, aka police watching or a sercuity guard stopping the customers outside.

Cheers.

I guess its all to do with your personal discretion. For a family buying bottles of wine then no you wouldn't need to ask the daughter for ID, but for a group of young people buying alcohol together you should ID all of them, or at least all of the ones who look 25 or under.

If you sell an age-restricted item to someone underage you'd only get in trouble if it was a test/sting operation by the local council, trading standards or the police, or if the underage person was to be stopped by the police and questioned as to where they bought those things. Or possibly if an angry parent found out that you had sold their 13 year old alcohol or something and they wanted to take it to the police etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    I guess its all to do with your personal discretion. For a family buying bottles of wine then no you wouldn't need to ask the daughter for ID, but for a group of young people buying alcohol together you should ID all of them, or at least all of the ones who look 25 or under.

If you sell an age-restricted item to someone underage you'd only get in trouble if it was a test/sting operation by the local council, trading standards or the police, or if the underage person was to be stopped by the police and questioned as to where they bought those things. Or possibly if an angry parent found out that you had sold their 13 year old alcohol or something and they wanted to take it to the police etc.
    tbh in test/ sting operations they cant lie, so all you need to do is ask, are you over 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDS)
    tbh in test/ sting operations they cant lie, so all you need to do is ask, are you over 18?
    lmao seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerPele)
    Hi

Here's my question-

Cheers.
    From what you described I wouldn't ask for ID - unless the girl offered me the money, or handled any part of the transaction (Such as the nectar card).

If the situation was slightly different, and their entire shop was just alcohol, I would ask for ID without a doubt.

If anyone starts getting stressy with you (Believe me they will), but reply with "I and this store has a legal obligation to prevent the sale and passing of alcohol to minors." and when they say they will go to Tesco/Asda, inform them that they operate the same Think25 policy.

ReputationRep:
    do any of you care when customers say "i will go to asda or tesco instead".
    i don't i'd rather not deal with them so i don't know why they say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    do any of you care when customers say "i will go to asda or tesco instead".
    i don't i'd rather not deal with them so i don't know why they say it.
    Nope, I'm normally peed off with the company too.
    Although availability seems to have gotten better this week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.