Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    What process do you have to go through if you decide to quit?
    Just hand a letter in writing to your dept manager, make sure to include the date your handing it in, and the date of your last shift or day(28 days later).

They will then send you a letter in the post explaining your final shift, pay date and what to do with your uniform/locker key, and an anonymous questionnaire to fill in.

I've only got two weeks left , although I bet i'll end up returning in the future:eek3:

------------

What do you use for references?, is it the HR dept of the store?

(Original post by Oh-No!)
    My bonus (plus more) all went off in tax... bast*** Government
    lol I got taxed £30, my only bit of tax for the year. Needless to say I'll be claiming it all back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    new tax year has started so im sure what you get paid tomorrow will start from 0.

but i'm not sure on the tax side of things, all i know is the tax man owes me around £1500.

as for avatar, i think im going to buy it, hopefully blu-ray version will be a good price at sainsburys. not seen it so dunno if the popularity was because of the 3dness or the plot was amazing.
    I started up the till at 12.30am yesterday to do a flight (After the till update/end of day), and it looks like Avatar is going to be limited to 2 per customer. (A message comes up whenever I logged in saying so).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Oh cool, maybe it was more than I thought it was going to be then. Do you do more than 16 hours a week though? I did work bank hol monday, but ive only been there since november 2008, so I shouldn't get extra for that should I?
    I will have a look at my payslip in the morning when I get there.
    You should get the bank holiday premium and at least 1% bonus.

I started a month before you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I started up the till at 12.30am yesterday to do a flight (After the till update/end of day), and it looks like Avatar is going to be limited to 2 per customer. (A message comes up whenever I logged in saying so).
    really? they are really taking this thing seriously, even on the wii promo they had 1 per customer in small print and said colleagues had to make sure it was 1 per customer as a message wouldnt pop up.

think the last big release was harry potter, we received around 400 copies for launch, avatar is double that. entertainment staff are gonna be busy turning the stock around in the safa/alphas cases, think we will only have 150 cases for avatar after the rest of the other dvds have been put in less the amount that go awol.

ive never worked the morning of a big release, dunno whether thats a or .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    really? they are really taking this thing seriously, even on the wii promo they had 1 per customer in small print and said colleagues had to make sure it was 1 per customer as a message wouldnt pop up.

think the last big release was harry potter, we received around 400 copies for launch, avatar is double that. entertainment staff are gonna be busy turning the stock around in the safa/alphas cases, think we will only have 150 cases for avatar after the rest of the other dvds have been put in less the amount that go awol.

ive never worked the morning of a big release, dunno whether thats a or .
    Well when COD: Modern Warfare came out we had a queue of about 50 people outside the store before opening time, and the phones where ringing all day asking if we had any stock. I even went as far as to answer the phone with "Hello, Call of Duty hotline". Made their day a bit brighter :P

The Wii thing did pop up on the tills (Similar to an Alcohol Think 25 screen), saying something along the lines of "Limited to 1 per customer."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    lol I got taxed £30, my only bit of tax for the year. Needless to say I'll be claiming it all back...

I got taxed too! Whats that about? Only about 20 quid I think. Ive never been taxed before though, only doing 16 hours a week.
    I did get my P60 in my payslip, maybe I need to give that a read.

ReputationRep:
    You should get the bank holiday premium and at least 1% bonus.

I started a month before you.

Ah ok, so the premium is different to what the oldies get then, I assume they get double pay?
    I'm glad ive not booked so many bank holidays off this year then. I had most of them off last year!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i got £25 bank holiday premium, £153 bonus, and my payrise cos i've been there for 6 months, which was about an extra £40. They took £194 off in tax/ni Urgh. Still got more than I usually get though! Someone I know got taxed £240 JUST IN TAX, not including NI... unlucky bugger.

ReputationRep:
    For all you guys who are concerned about tax, I may be able to help a little.

I assume that your pay this month included your bonus? Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are deducted from your pay under a system called 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE). The way that this works effectively looks at your total income for the year to date and compares this with the proportion of your tax-free 'personal allowance' (currently £6,475 for most people) that relates to the proportion of the tax year that's elapsed so far. One month in, for example, your income is compared to 1/12×£6,475=£540, and you'll pay Income Tax at 20% on the excess over this threshold.

Now, assuming that your monthly income for the rest of year will be lower (as your bonus won't be included) and in total for the year your income will be below £6,475, you should find that any Income Tax that you've paid in the month of your bonus will be refunded on later paydays, as a negative 'deduction' from your pay, without you having to do anything yourself. The PAYE system effectively corrects the total amount of Income Tax that you've paid for the year each time that you're paid. It's important that you're on the correct 'tax code' for this to happen correctly, though, so check your payslip to see what this is. If your code is "647L" you're probably fine; if it's something else (particularly if it's "BR") then this may be incorrect and it would probably be a good idea to call your tax office (contact details here) to query this and get your code corrected if necessary.

Be aware that NICs are calculated for each pay period in isolation, so if you've paid more NICs as a result of your bonus then you won't be able to reclaim these on the basis of your annual income.

If anyone would like more guidance please feel free to ask (quoting me would probably be best), though also see the links in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    For all you guys who are concerned about tax, I may be able to help a little.

I assume that your pay this month included your bonus? Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are deducted from your pay under a system called 'Pay As You Earn' (PAYE). The way that this works effectively looks at your total income for the year to date and compares this with the proportion of your tax-free 'personal allowance' (currently £6,475 for most people) that relates to the proportion of the tax year that's elapsed so far. One month in, for example, your income is compared to 1/12×£6,475=£540, and you'll pay Income Tax at 20% on the excess over this threshold.

Now, assuming that your monthly income for the rest of year will be lower (as your bonus won't be included) and in total for the year your income will be below £6,475, you should find that any Income Tax that you've paid in the month of your bonus will be refunded on later paydays, as a negative 'deduction' from your pay, without you having to do anything yourself. The PAYE system effectively corrects the total amount of Income Tax that you've paid for the year each time that you're paid. It's important that you're on the correct 'tax code' for this to happen correctly, though, so check your payslip to see what this is. If your code is "647L" you're probably fine; if it's something else (particularly if it's "BR") then this may be incorrect and it would probably be a good idea to call your tax office (contact details here) to query this and get your code corrected if necessary.

Be aware that NICs are calculated for each pay period in isolation, so if you've paid more NICs as a result of your bonus then you won't be able to reclaim these on the basis of your annual income.

If anyone would like more guidance please feel free to ask (quoting me would probably be best), though also see the links in my sig.

Ahhhhh now that makes it all a bit clearer! Thanks for posting that. I'll check out my payslip for the code. x

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, so the premium is different to what the oldies get then, I assume they get double pay?
    I'm glad ive not booked so many bank holidays off this year then. I had most of them off last year!
    I've found that if you book a week off during a bank holiday, you will still get the bank holiday premium.

ReputationRep:
    I feel terrible.

I feel like I have lost someone their job. Please tell me what you think of this situation:

A cashier was on their break and he/she used self service to buy a few things. They put through a coupon for a few pounds, but didn't surrender the coupon and kept it for themself and put it back into their wallet/purse

Word has recently spread that the person has been seen putting stuff into their shopping (semi-high value goods), so the attendants thought it would be a good idea to keep a watch on them.

When she left the till, she left her receipt. They used the staff discount card, and it clearly stated they used the coupon, but no coupons where handed in all day on that particular self service till

The attendant instantly flagged it up and I took the receipt to the team leader and explained what had happened. She took it to the duty manager and now the person has been suspended.

I feel guilty because I feel like I have made him/her lose their job.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I feel terrible.

I feel like I have lost someone their job. Please tell me what you think of this situation:

A cashier was on their break and he/she used self service to buy a few things. They put through a coupon for a few pounds, but didn't surrender the coupon and kept it for themself and put it back into their wallet/purse

Word has recently spread that the person has been seen putting stuff into their shopping (semi-high value goods), so the attendants thought it would be a good idea to keep a watch on them.

When she left the till, she left her receipt. They used the staff discount card, and it clearly stated they used the coupon, but no coupons where handed in all day on that particular self service till

The attendant instantly flagged it up and I took the receipt to the team leader and explained what had happened. She took it to the duty manager and now the person has been suspended.

I think it would have happened anyway. That person knew what they were doing clearly and they deserve to be punished for it :dontknow:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    So can you confirm I've got this right: I earn about £930 a month now... I have only just this month started paying tax (wasn't quite at the end of the personal allowance last year - was about £5800 so tax is completely new to me) ... how is tax worked out? Is it the same, 20% on the excess of £540? So technically paying 20% on the £390? Or am I understanding this completely wrong? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I feel terrible.

It was only a matter of time. Sorry but if staff are swindling the company, they should be sorted. If she wasn't swindling the company then all will be fine.
    I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. I wouldn't want to work with someone disshonest, do you want to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    So can you confirm I've got this right: I earn about £930 a month now... I have only just this month started paying tax (wasn't quite at the end of the personal allowance last year - was about £5800 so tax is completely new to me) ... how is tax worked out? Is it the same, 20% on the excess of £540? So technically paying 20% on the £390? Or am I understanding this completely wrong? :tongue:
    That's pretty close, yes, though if you're not paid exactly on a month-end date you'll probably find that the amount of Income Tax that you pay isn't exactly 20% of £390. What you should actually look at is your total income for the year at the end of each month and compare this to £540, £1,080, £1,620, etc., but for constant earnings this should give the same answer.

If your level of earnings changes then you'll find that there are a few months where the amount of tax you pay varies a bit (due to PAYE working on a cumulative basis, as I explained above), but it provided that your level of earnings remains constant then so should the amount of tax that you pay.

ReputationRep:
    We had a celeb do his shopping in our store today, I dont expect many of you will know who Wet, wet wet were, your parents will! Apparently he shops in there a lot. I never normally notice anyone!
    Bit gutted, a woman that started the same day as me in november 2008 handed her notice in today (

Bit gutted, a woman that started the same day as me in november 2008 handed her notice in today (
    Out of the 10 of us that started in August 2008, 4 remain. One died two weeks after the induction (he was only 16!), one left after about 8 weeks, a couple left for university a year later and the rest found better jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Out of the 10 of us that started in August 2008, 4 remain. One died two weeks after the induction (he was only 16!), one left after about 8 weeks, a couple left for university a year later and the rest found better jobs.

Oh no, that must have been a shock the 16 year old one!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.