Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am paranoid that I am 'being watched' in my store.

I have done NOTHING wrong (and if I have, it's an innocent error due to inexperience) but I just get the impression that I am being watched. I can notice people's changed attitudes with me.

One of our long-time ccheckout staff (who also acts as a checkout captain occasionally) has been suspended in the past week or so, apparently because he was stealing from the till. WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THEY CANGET AWAY WITH THAT KIND OF THING?

Today I did a lunch cover for somebody, but I was told to open up my own till rather than just sit on someone's till while they were at lunch, and this seems very strange to me. I am always told to go to the same till, even during busy queue-busting periods.

^^ that does sound like I am being watched doesn't it? They want me on a specific till to see if anything 'goes wrong', in which case they will KNOW it's me.

:mad:
    this also happened to me, twice my till was counted in two days...
    i was also made to close for my 30 mins break, rather then get taken over, and for my 15 minutes break, the checkout manager took over for my break wtffffffff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    We all (17 of us) wore smart trousers the first night, then jeans the next 2 sessions I would wear jeans if I was doing it again ive gotta admit.
    As for the other thing, no idea. I would probably of not taken the job & let someone else have it, I mean, I expect they want someone for longer than 2 weeks? Might be best to give them a ring. They might have someone on standby that will take the job who was interviewd the same time as you? Otherwise they are going to have to go through the interviewing again & pay another persons induction.
    ahh i'm too scared to wear jeans! :p:

how soon did you start work after your induction? if i start work next week then i'll be working for them for at least 4 weeks. i do feel bad but then again, i really need the money for uni (yes there's loans etc but that no where near covers it all) as i'm worried that if i don't find a job quickly when i get there, i'll be in serious trouble. meh, i dunno is what i'm doing really bad? ha too late now i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)

how soon did you start work after your induction? if i start work next week then i'll be working for them for at least 4 weeks. i do feel bad but then again, i really need the money for uni (yes there's loans etc but that no where near covers it all) as i'm worried that if i don't find a job quickly when i get there, i'll be in serious trouble. meh, i dunno is what i'm doing really bad? ha too late now i guess.
    Yeah for Sainsbury's it's really bad because they spend their time and money training staff in the hope that they will stay for a while. Also someone else who really needs a job could be getting it instead. Are you moving far from the store when you go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    The Till count thing has happened to me as well.
    Although I knew about it, because me and my supervisor are close so she told me that I was being spot checked and it was simply procedure.
    After I had finished serving, she asked me to help count it, It was 1p up from when i first sat on it, and that was because a customer told me to keep the change from 99p given a £1
    Thought that was pretty good for 8 hours on a till!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)

morally it's probably wrong, but don't worry about it.. you're on probation so you can leave when you want, you just know now you want to leave in 4 weeks, instead of realising in 4 weeks you want to leave
    you're not going to make ridiculous amounts in 4 weeks. but i suppose every little helps. ask about overtime asap if money is what you're after (what are your contracted hours?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Yeah for Sainsbury's it's really bad because they spend their time and money training staff in the hope that they will stay for a while. Also someone else who really needs a job could be getting it instead. Are you moving far from the store when you go to uni?
    oh ok i do feel bad but i think i've gone a bit too far now to just leave...i would go somewhere else for work but i've been looking for so long and sainsburys were the only ones who accepted me/actually had any vacancies!

yeah, am moving to bristol/sheffield which is over 100/200 miles away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samsam123)
    morally it's probably wrong, but don't worry about it.. you're on probation so you can leave when you want, you just know now you want to leave in 4 weeks, instead of realising in 4 weeks you want to leave
    you're not going to make ridiculous amounts in 4 weeks. but i suppose every little helps. ask about overtime asap if money is what you're after (what are your contracted hours?)
    18. but at the interview, the manager went on about how he's always needing people to do more!

thank you for the reassurance btw do you know how long the probationary period is exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    In period 7 all eligible colleagues will get a payrise of 2.5%. What does it mean by "ELIGIBLE" colleagues?
    ????????

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know in general what sort of time we get paid on friday? Is it like early morning, as soon as it turns into the 14th?
    Cause I'm going out tomorrow night and will be low on funds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    18. but at the interview, the manager went on about how he's always needing people to do more!

thank you for the reassurance btw do you know how long the probationary period is exactly?
    Probationary period is 12 weeks.
    Why don't you just get a transfer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer.re)
    Does anyone know in general what sort of time we get paid on friday? Is it like early morning, as soon as it turns into the 14th?
    Cause I'm going out tomorrow night and will be low on funds
    Depends on the bank not Sainsburys. If your bank is good it will be in dead on midnight. Mine even goes it a few hours early at 10pm on Thurs some months, with Lloyds TSB. Others don't update until later in the morning. When I was with Natwest it used to take until 6am some months before payments from that day showed up. It shouldn't be any later than early morning though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    oh ok i do feel bad but i think i've gone a bit too far now to just leave...i would go somewhere else for work but i've been looking for so long and sainsburys were the only ones who accepted me/actually had any vacancies!

yeah, am moving to bristol/sheffield which is over 100/200 miles away!
    Will you be working part time at Uni? Maybe ask about dual store contracts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)

12 weeks. If I was you I would do the same thing,, seriously don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Depends on the bank not Sainsburys. If your bank is good it will be in dead on midnight. Mine even goes it a few hours early at 10pm on Thurs some months, with Lloyds TSB. Others don't update until later in the morning. When I was with Natwest it used to take until 6am some months before payments from that day showed up. It shouldn't be any later than early morning though.
    I'm with Nationwide. It would handy if it came in early.
    I'll just have to hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Will you be working part time at Uni? Maybe ask about dual store contracts?
    oh wow i didn't know that existed! i'll be sure to ask about that, cheers.

(Original post by samsam123)
    12 weeks. If I was you I would do the same thing,, seriously don't worry about it
    ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Stop trying to send her on a guilt trip ffs. I'm in a similar position - I need to work for a few weeks before I go back uni to make a bit of cash, and when I go back I don't know whether I'll be able to carry on with the job. That and my training was all irrelevant since I'm doing nightshift and so none of the customer service or think 25 DVDs were applicable, so it's Sainsbury's problem for spending 'time and money' to train me.

And somebody is always going to need the job a bit more than you do. If you job hunt with the mentality that you're taking the job away from someone more worthy then you're going to be permanently unemployed. Good sportsmanship doesn't really apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)

Well I started inductions on the thursday night, & finished saturday at 6pm, then started the job monday. I had only been at the previous job 5 weeks, so I only had to give them a weeks notice, so finished that on my second day of inductions, the friday (our inductions were thursday & friday 5-9pm & saturday all day)

ReputationRep:
    Just a random query, when they say contact HRSS in 24 hours to book an interview, that means you got until the end of next day to book your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Just a random query, when they say contact HRSS in 24 hours to book an interview, that means you got until the end of next day to book your interview?
    I guess so, but I would be ringing them before that 24 hours is anywhere near up! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yay... no work for 11 days

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.