Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by inksplodge)
    they want us to change our hours on sat to 10-8, no thank you. they can't make me do those hours, can they?
    iirc they can provide alternatives, but if you don't accept any of them, they can terminate your contract with 12 weeks notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    New overtime rules, apparently you can't do more than 50 hours a week? so for night shifts that's basically one shift. And in our store if you started before 2007 you're not allowed to do overtime cos you get time and a half. Pretty damn pathetic, a lot of people are angry.
    Our store arn't allowed to do any overtime if it takes us over 39 hours in a given week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    Hola, just wondering, is there any way to get a job here if it isn't advertised on the internet? Because there never seems to be anything in London (except lorry drivers etc.) when I look and it doesn't really seem right that they wouldn't have ANY normal jobs in the whole of London.
    We had some interviews today and I was given a list of the people we where expecting to be interviewed and it showed their application method, and a few have CV written next to their name. If you give your CV to customer services and insist that they take it (Just keep insisting they take it, they will just to get you to shut up), it will eventually end up in the HR department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    iirc they can provide alternatives, but if you don't accept any of them, they can terminate your contract with 12 weeks notice.
    Your right, they can cancel your contract. My manager had to pass a cashiers name forward to the store manager because they where unable to change their shifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    We had some interviews today and I was given a list of the people we where expecting to be interviewed and it showed their application method, and a few have CV written next to their name. If you give your CV to customer services and insist that they take it (Just keep insisting they take it, they will just to get you to shut up), it will eventually end up in the HR department.
    Oh, okay then, I might try that, thanks.
    Do you work in a London branch then? I'm guessing that since you had interviews today there are no longer any vacancies? Are they quite rare or is it just a matter of checking the website at the right time? (Sorry for all the questions!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesky)
    Oh, okay then, I might try that, thanks.
    Do you work in a London branch then? I'm guessing that since you had interviews today there are no longer any vacancies? Are they quite rare or is it just a matter of checking the website at the right time? (Sorry for all the questions!)
    I work in a South London Branch. Some people arn't suited to the job - for example as a store greeter your expected to do tannoys for customers, and most of them couldn't understand what I was trying to ask them to do after 4 attempts to do so. How hard is it to sign a visitors book?

About the website, I honestly have only looked at the website for jobs when I was applying, and that was about 2 years ago, but from what I can gather it is luck of the draw.

Again, hand in your CV, insist they take it, and keep checking online to see if any jobs appear.

ReputationRep:
    I want a job at Sainsbury's too! I've been checking everyday online for almost 3 months and i've handed my cv in only to be told that they do everything online. Its really frustrating when i know i'd be good at the job as i've had 2 1/2 years experience but they keep letting friends and family get in :/ gahhhhh
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    there are no alternatives, it's just 'work 10 til 8'. that won't help IMO. on sat we were expected to do 24 hours work between the 5 of us in just 2 hours, it's ridiculous. they need more people!

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of leaving Sainsburys, what are the procedures? I think I have to give a minimum of 4 weeks notice? So, if I tell the manager I want to quit on Thursday May 27th, my last day working for them would be Wednesday June 23rd? and I need to write a letter?

The problem is, I applied for jobs that want me to start immediately, but I have to give 4 weeks notice.

I don't know if it's worth quitting Sainsburys, if I get a new job, and it ends up being a scam and I end up with no job.

ReputationRep:
    Im currently a checkout team leader @ Sainsburys. My contract hours are 16hours per week 8hours (2-10) thursday & 8hours (9-6) friday.
    Since my new store has opened I have never done my friday shift my manager always moves me around.
    Sometimes my manager splits my shifts & puts me in for example Sunday (8-4) then thursday (6-10) and then saturday (12-4).
    I want to know my rights, can my manager break my 8hour shifts down to 4hours over other days? Do I have the right to say NO if they put me down for a 4hour shift or on another day that isn't my contracted day to work?

Should I speak to my union rep at work about this, I always end up with crappy late night shifts or weekends when really my contract says otherwise.

Please can
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gav008)
    Im currently a checkout team leader @ Sainsburys. My contract hours are 16hours per week 8hours (2-10) thursday & 8hours (9-6) friday.
    Since my new store has opened I have never done my friday shift my manager always moves me around.
    Sometimes my manager splits my shifts & puts me in for example Sunday (8-4) then thursday (6-10) and then saturday (12-4).
    I want to know my rights, can my manager break my 8hour shifts down to 4hours over other days? Do I have the right to say NO if they put me down for a 4hour shift or on another day that isn't my contracted day to work?

Should I speak to my union rep at work about this, I always end up with crappy late night shifts or weekends when really my contract says otherwise.

Please can
    Thanks
    just say you cant make them shifts because of other commitments

(Original post by GuyUK)
    I am thinking of leaving Sainsburys, what are the procedures? I think I have to give a minimum of 4 weeks notice? So, if I tell the manager I want to quit on Thursday May 27th, my last day working for them would be Wednesday June 23rd? and I need to write a letter?

The problem is, I applied for jobs that want me to start immediately, but I have to give 4 weeks notice.

I don't know if it's worth quitting Sainsburys, if I get a new job, and it ends up being a scam and I end up with no job.
    If you want a good reference you'll need to complete the four weeks.
    If you don't you can leave whenever you want.
    tbh if the new job sounds like a scam I'd be happy to stay at Sainsburys. At least here you know the job is secure.
    And yeah you need to write a letter to your department manager saying when you'll be leaving.

ReputationRep:
    ****, I should have totally done my customary "begging for job routine" two months ago.

ReputationRep:
    On payslips, what does Shortime mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie1990)
    On payslips, what does Shortime mean?
    Contracted hours you have missed, so they have deducted the pay. Been ill or on holiday? If holiday you should have holiday pay shown as the same amount you were short timed

ReputationRep:
    I am contracted 12 hrs a week, and my store knows that I am now on study leave. On monday just as I was leaving I checked the schedules and they have put me down for 24 hrs for the week begining 6th June. I reckon theyre gonna do that for all the other weeks aswell. I really dont want to do any overtime. I find it really bad that they can just double my hours without asking me! Can they do that? Can I tell them to take it all off?

Also, I got my discount card done yesterday, when will it work? I want to buy something online ASAP? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPie2010)
    I am contracted 12 hrs a week, and my store knows that I am now on study leave. On monday just as I was leaving I checked the schedules and they have put me down for 24 hrs for the week begining 6th June. I reckon theyre gonna do that for all the other weeks aswell. I really dont want to do any overtime. I find it really bad that they can just double my hours without asking me! Can they do that? Can I tell them to take it all off?

Also, I got my discount card done yesterday, when will it work? I want to buy something online ASAP? Thanks!
    They can't do that. Talk to your department manager and ask them why they've done it, and tell them you're unable to work those hours.

You should have gotten instructions with your discount card. It should be activated pretty immediately after you return the form with signatures on it

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. God sorry Im full of questions, I just rang the online people who added my card to my account, and he said it would work from now on, but Im trying to order something now and it doesnt say anything about any discount?

The total is still coming up as the normal amount? How do I know that its gonna be on? Arrrgh this is sooo complicated its ridiculous! I rang about 20 mins ago? How long does it take to go on?!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by gav008

Please can
    Thanks

Following my previous post,

At my store there is me & 3 other full time T/L. If I refused or said ive got comitments on certain shifts could my manager go to the HR manager and turn around & say no you have to do it "for the needs of the business". I do know some people having their contracts changed because of "the needs of the business", I was just wondering if I said no to 4hour shifts/weekends they could say that & make me work. But thats not the case if 3 other T/L work that day/shift etc..

Please help

ReputationRep:
    noone knows about my question??

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.