Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ours are probably gonna be changed for 'the needs of the business' too and i'm not happy at all. i'm already ill enough thanks to work (and the doctor says i should really quit) and i am worried the time change to my hours will make it worse. i would try and switch my contracted hours but no chance since that day is extremely short staffed.

we're getting two new people next week, yay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPie2010)
    noone knows about my question??
    I have no idea! Never bought online cos I work in the store so I just buy in there :P: Can't you ring them up again? Doesn't the discount come up when yo go to the checkout?

Managers can't just change your shifts around regardless of whether you're team leader or staff, they must have your permission and if you reserve your right to refuse overtime or a shift swap then they'll have to find another way around it!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you have to sign off every shift if they're not your contracted hours though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryPie2010)
    noone knows about my question??
    If you had already "checked out" online, you need to amend your order, then place the order again, making sure you tick the staff discount declaration.

ReputationRep:
    I rang them up again in the end, and the woman I spoke to said that it had been added, so I tried again while on the phone so I could tell her that it didnt come up with the declaration, then it *conveniently* worked lol. Order came today, bargain, free next day delivery!

work are not gonna be happy that I dont want the hours but tough! They shouldnt have put me down for them without asking. If they have a go at me about it then I am very tempted to tell them where to shove it, Ive had enough of the stupid managers, they are so completely useless, and the work is sooo boring, I hate going to work now.

(Original post by gav008)
    Hi Gav008,

If you're on a RGS fixed contract, then no, your manager does not have the authority to reschedule your shifts without such changes being mutually agreed. It's common for department managers to move around shifts like this, it's one of the gripes I had with them.

If you're unable to commit to any changes with the scheduling of your shifts, you have every right to ask to be scheduled back to your contractually agreed hours.

Can I ask, are you new to Sainsbury's (as in within your probation period?), because if you are and your manager can't accommodate you on the Friday shift (it's also common for people to be hired under one set of hours, and then made to work another) chances are they'll end up 'dropping' you come your probationary review; it's not fair, but then there's no way to prove that is what has happened.

As for union involvement, I would speak to your department manager and ask her that you can't do the shift changes. If you're not given a straight answer, speak to your HR department. Ask them for a copy of your contract (if you don't have one) and ask them to confirm why you're not doing your contracted hours.

If this informal 'litigation' fails, you can raise an official grievance with the department manager. Please, do not be afraid to stick up for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I have been working at sainsburys less than a week and have only done about 10 hours. Today on checkouts i was observed without knowing by my manager and i was given a red as i didn't smile enough and spent to much time looking at the till. I thought this was totally out of order i have only just started there and am learning on the till and not sure where everything is and was trying my hardest. Does anyone know what getting a red in observation means?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    I have been working at sainsburys less than a week and have only done about 10 hours. Today on checkouts i was observed without knowing by my manager and i was given a red as i didn't smile enough and spent to much time looking at the till. I thought this was totally out of order i have only just started there and am learning on the till and not sure where everything is and was trying my hardest. Does anyone know what getting a red in observation means?
    In my store that generally means your being observed for other reasons - usually because that till (Note the use of the word till, and not individually you) is significantly lower than what they where expecting.

Was you asked to explain the proper procedure of flighting and locking your till, what you can take on the shop floor etc, if so it was a cash discrepancy.

Unless you have been taking money, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Technically they are able to give you a disciplinary for it, but I have yet to see someone get one because of red observations.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    one of the new guys we're meant to be getting next week has quit already, found a new job. so that means we're only getting one new person. great! not.

(Original post by Foulish)
    Unless you have been taking money, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Technically they are able to give you a disciplinary for it, but I have yet to see someone get one because of red observations.
    We've had a few people get disciplinaries for red observations, but you won't get the sack for it or anything - I think the threat of a disciplinary is supposed to make you perform better more quickly.

(Original post by AgentSushi)
    Hi

As has already been mentioned, if you've not been taking money from the till, and it's not a till-balancing issue, then you've got nothing to worry about

For what it's worth, the observation procedure is actually there for your benefit. If you're struggling on an aspect, be that till operation, or customer service, this will be logged in your training folder and on your reviews, these will be discussed with you, so where possible you can be given additional training etc.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You won't face disciplinary action for one, however, if you get three reds in one row, chances are you'll be spoken to by your manager at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    In my store that generally means your being observed for other reasons - usually because that till (Note the use of the word till, and not individually you) is significantly lower than what they where expecting.

Was you asked to explain the proper procedure of flighting and locking your till, what you can take on the shop floor etc, if so it was a cash discrepancy.

Yeah it had nothing to do with the till I got the red observation due to my customer service not looking at the customer enough etc. The reason for this is that i have just started the job and still learning but am still being punished by getting a red observation in stead of them just explaining to me and helping me learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    We've had a few people get disciplinaries for red observations, but you won't get the sack for it or anything - I think the threat of a disciplinary is supposed to make you perform better more quickly.
    I stand corrected.

With the till discrepancies - I used to get loads because I used to till hop (Relieving people for their breaks etc.), so I was on pretty much every till that is available for that day at some point.

Again, don't worry about it. Soon you'll be able to put bannanas in without having to PLU group it and other useless fruit. (If however you feel you are being individually targeted, flag it up with someone above your manager).

ReputationRep:
    Checkout life is becoming too much now...

I've done this crap for nearly 2 years. I don't know how anyone can do this for any longer!?

Our department's been such a mess since our manager went away on maternity leave. I actually don't know who our manager is anymore...? Holidays are all mucked up on the department. It's messy, everything is messy! A few weeks ago they started catching up on RTWs and so on from the past 2 months...!!

Now. I know this seems silly to bring in to it but you know that Measure 25 thing I was on about? Well. Literally. All I've ever heard of it was that one time someone said about it. And now, I've no idea. But I feel under immense pressure!! It's 6 weeks until I'll be 18.

On Saturday night a customer came to my till. She was 40-something and had a daughter with her who looked to be "of age", though the mother claims her daughter was 15. She looked about 18. So I asked her daughter for ID. In this woman's shopping was 2 bottles of Bacardi Breezer and a bottle of wine. Obviously I had to have a supervisor (see I know this inside and out...!) and we refused it. Supervisor asked for ID. The woman kicked off. She kept coming back and trying to buy it, not realising every till she went to had an underage cashier on!! So the same supervisor kept refusing it. And she kept kicking off...!!!

And then coming back and having a go at me as well! I saw her in town yesterday when I wasn't at work and she had a go at me then as well?!

I couldn't believe it!! :o:

But there you go...

That wasn't all that happened this weekend. We were so short-staffed that I had to stand at my till with a nosebleed, holding my nose in some tissue with one hand and carry on serving with the other!! The customer I was serving was like "This isn't fair I'm going to complain... they shouldn't be allowed to leave you just standing there look you're bleeding all over the floor!!"

I take her point. I don't agree with it. It's not right is it? Things like this keep happening... if someone is ill or needs the loo or whatever they're made to stand there and stick it out?? No matter how desperate...

I want to transfer departments. I'm absolutely sick of it! I don't have anything against Sainsbury's as a place to work. But the checkouts department is just taking it too far now.

Anybody have any suggestions/tips for writing to (I don't know who) to find out if there's any other departments I can go and requesting that I be transferred as soon as something suitable becomes available??

Tips/advice please... :o: :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I would go to HR or something first as in my store they are the ones you apply to if you want another job in a different department ...That is awful though! It's the same in our store, we are always understaffed. Everyone is mad now because the new people who were meant to work fri & sat now have no set days. What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I would go to HR or something first as in my store they are the ones you apply to if you want another job in a different department ...That is awful though! It's the same in our store, we are always understaffed. Everyone is mad now because the new people who were meant to work fri & sat now have no set days. What a joke.
    Nice. But I don't work at any times when HR is actually open... even though I start in the afternoon on a Friday (as in before 5!!!) there's never anybody in there? I've asked management before and they've just gone red like "WHERE ARE THEY"

lol

And I work too late on a Friday for anyone to be there. I have college and stuff so don't get chance to go in during the week... messy!!

If you're desperate, I'm sure you could find a spare 15 minutes to go in when there will be someone in HR
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Our HR people are always in first thng in the morning so try then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    On Saturday night a customer came to my till. She was 40-something and had a daughter with her who looked to be "of age", though the mother claims her daughter was 15. She looked about 18. So I asked her daughter for ID. In this woman's shopping was 2 bottles of Bacardi Breezer and a bottle of wine. Obviously I had to have a supervisor (see I know this inside and out...!) and we refused it. Supervisor asked for ID. The woman kicked off.
    What do you expect, it's a stupid rule. You aren't breaking the law by not ID'ing someone who isn't actually buying it. It's perfectly legal for this women to buy the alcohol and let her daughter consume it at home.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what Labour matching is?
    Thank you's x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.