Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Can anyone tell me what Labour matching is?
    Thank you's x
    It's when you change the hours around so that you have the manpower when you need it. IE you may have too many people in at the start of the week, and not enough at the end of week when it's busier. A print out is produced that will tell the manager to move certain hours from some days to other.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Lol, wish my shift managers did that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Lol, wish my shift managers did that
    Well if there's one thing that's guaranteed in retail; managers who don't know what they're doing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Taurus-)
    Well if there's one thing that's guaranteed in retail; managers who don't know what they're doing.
    We don't really have enough people that want to work weekends. I think it shouldn't be a matter of whether you want to or not - if your contract says you're supposed to work xyz then you should work those days, you signed the contract. That's one thing that bugs me about work. If it wasn't for people changing their shifts we'd have enough people every day! For example there's 12 people in tonight, but they don't need that many on a Wednesday as it's only a small drop. Saturday however we're lucky to have 6 people and we never get all the work done because there aren't enough of us. We could use a few extra!

ReputationRep:
    You have people that just randomly choose when to work? They wouldn't last long if they pulled that doing day shifts. The contract is there for a reason, if you breach it, bye bye.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yay, we've just been told we're losing another two people this week. Great! They'll expect us to make up that extra 78 hours a week now, not gonna happen cos everyone is losing their patience.

No, they just would rather do say Monday, Tuesday Wednesday instead of Thursday Friday Saturday just cos it's the weekend and they want to go out and party.

ReputationRep:
    i think they should make up a new department called support. people who work there work on any dept that need the most help. seeing that it is hot and sunny, its bbq time so fresh, produce, bws are gonna get hit bigtime and the schedules would not have factored in weather changes. not to mention to go on checkouts too.

theres only two of us in this week on my dept, so tomorrow i am looking foward to. im in for 4 hours from 5pm which is the first time someone is in on that dept. i will expect an entertainment delivery, normal pallet or two of delivery, to do newspaper returns and dress the dept, which is not likely to be done in 4 hours. so im gonna be in a frustrated mood tomorrow. a bit like him >>>>>:mad: all night

Well, they have general assistants, but rather than do what they're supposed to and be put where they're needed on the day, they're just assigned a department when they start and work there all the time. We only have one guy who I've seen work everywhere.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it'd be nice to have support. they're pulling people from nights onto days to help them in our store. hello, we need these people!

ReputationRep:
    store managers probably all prefer to have sufficient day staff than sufficient night staff. all the stupid, arghhh MAC is on the way, arghhh regional manager is coming to visit and then points out all the c*** you can't do anything about.

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry if this has already come up in this thread (and it's almost certain that it has) but I can't be bothered trawling through it to find the answer to my question.

I've recently started at Sainsbury's (I had induction on Tuesday and yesterday, and till training today) but I noticed this afternoon that I've been put down to work overtime on June 14th. As this day is not in my contracted hours, I don't think I should be forced to work then. If it wasn't for the fact that I really need that day to revise and that I have an orthodontist's appointment I wouldn't mind working then, but because I do have things to do I can't work that day. So, what I'm asking is whether it would be a problem if I asked to not do this day as I heard somewhere that you need to give two weeks' notice, and thereafter you'll be expected to work it. However, since I only started on Tuesday and only saw the updated rota today then it'd have been unfeasible to expect me to give two weeks' notice. I'm not in again until Sunday - I probably should have mentioned it after I saw the rota today, but didn't. Will I manage to get the day off if I ask on Sunday?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't agreed to do it, then you shouldn't need to do it if it's not your contracted times.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. So did I just make up that "two weeks' notice" thing in my head? Has anyone else heard of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam6993)
    Cheers. So did I just make up that "two weeks' notice" thing in my head? Has anyone else heard of this?
    Yeah you do need to give that notice. But only if you've signed the book to do the overtime in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks. I'll mention it on Sunday and it should be alright, then.

ReputationRep:
    Heyaa guys, I was wondering if I can work in two stores, kind of like dual store but split my week between the two? The thing is, the store I'm currently in are cutting hours way back, there's lit no overtime atall and I can't survive on the hours I've got. In my old store there was overtime galore and I was wondering if I could keep my shifts at the store I'm in now and do overtime in my old store? I don't want to transfer stores as I'm currenty being trained as a Team Leader and don't want to lose this opportunity. Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by welshliz)
    Heyaa guys, I was wondering if I can work in two stores, kind of like dual store but split my week between the two? The thing is, the store I'm currently in are cutting hours way back, there's lit no overtime atall and I can't survive on the hours I've got. In my old store there was overtime galore and I was wondering if I could keep my shifts at the store I'm in now and do overtime in my old store? I don't want to transfer stores as I'm currenty being trained as a Team Leader and don't want to lose this opportunity. Thanks
    Apparently there are new rules on overtime across all stores so I doubt it would work.

ReputationRep:
    I've been at sainsburys for over a year and I have to say it is the worst place I have ever worked. The supervisors and managers treat you like you're an imbecile (which some of the "colleagues" actually are) and it's like being at primary school again, albeit without the good bits. I tried to book my holidays which took me 4 attempts at filling in their stupid form. Apparently one is not allowed singular days off (I only do 22 hours/days a week) and so you have to take holiday in weeks at a time, 3 in the summer and 2 in the winter. So now I have it sorted and I cannot wait - paid not to be there. There is loads of favouritism with the same people getting the cushy jobs every week and as I am on checkouts I rarely finish when my shift finishes - working 5 minutes past your shift end time is not uncommon, except for the cute girls... On saturdays I work 8 hours with a half hour break - last week I had to wait 5 and a half hours for it by which time I was almost delirious. Sainsbury's are obsessed with productivity which means that they are permanently understaffed meaning that it is always hellishly busy on checkouts. I did some overtime last week and the first thing a customer asked me was "who do I complain to?" re the queues.

I could go on forever, it really is ****. I'd recommend reading a book called The Checkout Girl by Tazeen Ahmad, she's a journalist who worked at a branch in London for 6 months undercover.

ReputationRep:
    Right, sorry if this has already come up in this thread (and it's almost certain that it has) but I can't be bothered trawling through it to find the answer to my question.

I've recently started at Sainsbury's (I had induction on Tuesday and yesterday, and till training today) but I noticed this afternoon that I've been put down to work overtime on June 14th. As this day is not in my contracted hours, I don't think I should be forced to work then. If it wasn't for the fact that I really need that day to revise and that I have an orthodontist's appointment I wouldn't mind working then, but because I do have things to do I can't work that day. So, what I'm asking is whether it would be a problem if I asked to not do this day as I heard somewhere that you need to give two weeks' notice, and thereafter you'll be expected to work it. However, since I only started on Tuesday and only saw the updated rota today then it'd have been unfeasible to expect me to give two weeks' notice. I'm not in again until Sunday - I probably should have mentioned it after I saw the rota today, but didn't. Will I manage to get the day off if I ask on Sunday?

Thanks.
    Get our while you can!

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I'm quite surprised at how many stores do this. If you haven't agreed to do it you don't have to do it - if however you have agreed to it and then decided you can't do it, then that falls under contractual obligation.

I don't know where you got the 2 weeks notice figure from either. Its 1 hour to notify the store if your ill and 4 weeks to notify them if your leaving.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.