Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dobbins)
    I've been at sainsburys for over a year and I have to say it is the worst place I have ever worked. The supervisors and managers treat you like you're an imbecile (which some of the "colleagues" actually are) and it's like being at primary school again, albeit without the good bits. I tried to book my holidays which took me 4 attempts at filling in their stupid form. Apparently one is not allowed singular days off (I only do 22 hours/days a week) and so you have to take holiday in weeks at a time, 3 in the summer and 2 in the winter. So now I have it sorted and I cannot wait - paid not to be there. There is loads of favouritism with the same people getting the cushy jobs every week and as I am on checkouts I rarely finish when my shift finishes - working 5 minutes past your shift end time is not uncommon, except for the cute girls... On saturdays I work 8 hours with a half hour break - last week I had to wait 5 and a half hours for it by which time I was almost delirious. Sainsbury's are obsessed with productivity which means that they are permanently understaffed meaning that it is always hellishly busy on checkouts. I did some overtime last week and the first thing a customer asked me was "who do I complain to?" re the queues.

I could go on forever, it really is ****. I'd recommend reading a book called The Checkout Girl by Tazeen Ahmad, she's a journalist who worked at a branch in London for 6 months undercover.
    Its not uncommon for me to go finish my shift 20/30 minutes after the specified time waiting for others to come in because they are late.

On some 9 hour shifts on checkouts I don't even get a break because I usually have to sort out other peoples breaks first.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm sick of getting all the **** stuff nobody else wants at work. It's heavy and I hurt myself and no-one gives a ****.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Anyone have SSA membership? Had a look at the booklet today and actually it looks like it could be worthwhile, but what are your opinions on it?

I've got a big ass bruise on my arm because cereals don't like me :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Been there all day today, it was the usual ****. Had to wait 5 and a quarter hours for a break and the place was sooooooooo hot. Back again at 10 tomorrow grrrr. I'd love to be able to quit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dobbins)
    Been there all day today, it was the usual ****. Had to wait 5 and a quarter hours for a break and the place was sooooooooo hot. Back again at 10 tomorrow grrrr. I'd love to be able to quit

Be careful what you wish for, finding work is very hard at the moment.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it was major hot in our store last night too, and i started working the new hours and i feel really poorly. its a huge strain on my body i really wish i could find a new job cos i dont think the money is worth is for the damage im doing to myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taurus-)
    What do you expect, it's a stupid rule. You aren't breaking the law by not ID'ing someone who isn't actually buying it. It's perfectly legal for this women to buy the alcohol and let her daughter consume it at home.
    Oh yeah I get that I completely agree it's a tad OTT but our store has had a few slip-ups and can't afford any more or we'll lose the license.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    it was major hot in our store last night too, and i started working the new hours and i feel really poorly. its a huge strain on my body i really wish i could find a new job cos i dont think the money is worth is for the damage im doing to myself!
    Agree with you there inksplodge. I hurt my back about a month and a bit ago now and uhm well it's alright during the week and then when I go back to work I come out all tied up in knots again!! :o:

I only work the weekends part time (12hrs) so I don't get SSP or anything?!

Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    We had 2 powercuts today. The generators didn't come on so we where in complete darkness - I completely lost my bearings and couldn't find my way back to checkouts. It was only when I figured out what aisle I was actually in could get back to checkouts.

It was proper dark, not like the dark where you can see a few things, dark as in I couldn't see ANYTHING. I walked into a few trolleys.

Its always funny when the power goes out and everyone gasps. However its cheesy when they cheer when the lights go back on.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Agree with you there inksplodge. I hurt my back about a month and a bit ago now and uhm well it's alright during the week and then when I go back to work I come out all tied up in knots again!! :o:

I only work the weekends part time (12hrs) so I don't get SSP or anything?!

Ridiculous.
    Everyone is currently "oh my god!"-ing when they see the bruise I've got on my arm from work... I just always seem to be hurting myself and it's because the stuff is just too heavy lol.

ReputationRep:
    aww you should get on the toilet roll, everyone seems to want to be on that when it comes to the 2pm rumble. probably because it's just bulky and no stock rotation.

i'm a lil scared of the twin pack disposible bbq's now, the was a sharp bit of foil sticking out of one tray and stuck my finger right into it, started bleeding like a nose bleed. went to toilet to clean up then my eyes started to go, then i was picking my self off the floor. so im watching them very carefully now. whats worse is they are gonna be half price and i'm gonna be swimming in them.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is currently "oh my god!"-ing when they see the bruise I've got on my arm from work... I just always seem to be hurting myself and it's because the stuff is just too heavy lol.
    I have a scar on my thumb where I got it caught in one of those things that holds the little clear plastic bags at the checkout it just ripped the skin off the top of my thumb. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone joined up on the colleague panel website? I'm looking at it and can't find the link to register. How do we do it? :s: http://www.colleaguepanel.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    You need to talk to your line manager. Just tell them the truth. They'd rather move people around than lose them, otherwise they'd have to re-train people which = £££

Bear in mind though that if your moving from checkouts you'll end up being a standby, being called to checkouts every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly how I feel. We had no heating during the winter so I was sat there wearing 4 layers and a scarf. My knuckles were really sore from the cold and I could barely move. Fast forward 4 months, we have no air con so I'm suffocating in the heat, my only help being the jug of water that gets brought round every hour or so. I'm coming home most nights dehydrated and with a banging headache.

ReputationRep:
    hey, its my first post.
    ive got an interview for nightshift in sainsburys in 2 days !!
    im sooo nervous any tips ?

ReputationRep:
    Our store has just taken on THIRTEEN new checkout assistants back in early May, yet we were down to just 2 of us on checkouts most of the night tonight! (Me, begged for extra hours only this afternoon! and my supervisor) By 10pm I was the only one on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEW-GUY)
    hey, its my first post.
    We arn't allowed to give you the interview questions, but it is likely you'll be in a group interview, with the "usual" interview questions.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by NEW-GUY)
    hey, its my first post.
    itll be the same as any other interview, they won't ask anything specific about nightshift other than are you fit to work cos it requires heavy lifting, long shifts etc.

ReputationRep:
    itll be the same as any other interview, they won't ask anything specific about nightshift other than are you fit to work cos it requires heavy lifting, long shifts etc.

i worked there in 2007, would the interview have changed much from then do you think ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.