Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    It wasn't a bad thing to do but don't do it too often. If you're not sure, you just need to be confident enough to say "no thanks" or say you aren't sure and you'll need to check when you are free. You are under NO obligation to accept any overtime at any time of the year; don't let them pressure you into thinking otherwise.
    thanks for the reply. I always feel pressued into it So I wont get in trouble for this no?

(Original post by CherryPie2010)
    thanks for the reply. I always feel pressued into it So I wont get in trouble for this no?
    No, you'll be fine. Just don't make a habit out of doing it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Oh, I saw a news story a while back about a Waitrose store burning down and what they did for the staff, and I kept meaning to ask someone.
    I think I know the one you're talking about. It's not too far from me and from what I saw it was awfully damaged. I don't go up there often so when I saw it a few months later it was up and running as before. I think they rebuilt it larger than it was before too. But I think they used an empy former Woolworths store on the high street as a temporary store while they rebuilt.

ReputationRep:
    Got a question about handing in your notice.

I have never left a job before so not too clued up on it and there's a few things that confuse the issue

I have recently had the chance to go to Southern Africa for around 2 months starting late July. I obviously can't book that much holiday off so will have to leave.

I'd quite like to come back when I return as I'll need the money but doubt that would be possible?

I guess not many people will know but just wondered if someone's been in a similar situation? And whats the best way of going about it?

Cheers
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we've just lost another person indefinitely! in bad circumstances though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerPele)

I have never left a job before so not too clued up on it and there's a few things that confuse the issue

I have recently had the chance to go to Southern Africa for around 2 months starting late July. I obviously can't book that much holiday off so will have to leave.

I'd quite like to come back when I return as I'll need the money but doubt that would be possible?

I guess not many people will know but just wondered if someone's been in a similar situation? And whats the best way of going about it?

Cheers
    I've heard of a few people at my store who left for another job but then decided they wanted to return so personally asked their department manager if they could, and they have (and in some cases with a promotion to Team Leader). Could you ask for unpaid leave? Otherwise you could resign in hope that you could get your job back when you reurn.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    Just been offered an interview at sainsburys in leicester area and wondering what sort of clothes i should wear to the interview and what to expect in the interview. Also, the contract type was advertised for 12 hours temporary do you think they will extend the contract and maybe go permanent if i get the job? thanks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GingerPele)

Cheers
    Unpaid holiday? Someone on our shift went to Australia for 2 months and she was able to have it off unpaid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikz92)
    hey guys,
    Just been offered an interview at sainsburys in leicester area and wondering what sort of clothes i should wear to the interview and what to expect in the interview. Also, the contract type was advertised for 12 hours temporary do you think they will extend the contract and maybe go permanent if i get the job? thanks.
    Almost certainly not, they'll enjoy (ab)using you for overtime (only paid at standard rate) when they need you without having to pay you on weeks they don't!

ReputationRep:
    I'm returning to Sainsburys next Thursday (checkouts), and there's hardly any overtime atall. Last summer I would always be working 35-40 hours a week (contracted or 12) but now for the next 3 weeks the most I'm doing is 25, and just 18 next week. Whenever I go in on Saturday afternoons only half of the checkouts are open, so I don't know why they've cut it.

ReputationRep:
    every bit of cut hours count
    http://www.theappointment.co.uk/news/?id=5882

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the food safety foundation course thing before, i was wondering whats it like and if the test at the end of it is hard?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    every bit of cut hours count
    http://www.theappointment.co.uk/news/?id=5882
    that's blooming ridiculous! they should give us a pay increase for our hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I've completed day 2 of 3 of the induction. Parts are interesting but its just so boring. At least i'm being paid. Apparently there is a shortage of uniforms so i don't know when i'll recieve my uniform. I'm not looking forward to this 'test' tomorrow at the induction, hopefully its just common sense.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LordOfTheIsles)
    I've completed day 2 of 3 of the induction. Parts are interesting but its just so boring. At least i'm being paid. Apparently there is a shortage of uniforms so i don't know when i'll recieve my uniform. I'm not looking forward to this 'test' tomorrow at the induction, hopefully its just common sense.
    Oh, so that's why I STILL haven't got a new pair of trousers after about 4 months then hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Oh, so that's why I STILL haven't got a new pair of trousers after about 4 months then hah.
    Haha, I suppose i'm right at the end of a very long queue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordOfTheIsles)
    Put it this way: No one "fails" the test :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you fail the test you fail at life, seriously :ninja:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I "failed" the test! but our trainer actually kinda told us the answers after so we corrected our mistakes. So yeah, nobody "fails". You're not allowed a single mistake! My excuse is I have a disability therefore didn't get all the relevant knowledge I needed.

ReputationRep:
    Does Sainsburys pay extra for unsociable hours like some companies? Because the store is open until 8PM Mon-Wed and 9PM on Thursdays and Fridays. I am contracted to do 5:30-9:30 on a Friday night, so basically I can't really do anything on a Friday until October. :mad:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.