Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    I'm going back to the checkouts after a 6 month break on Thursday. Can anyone tell me how process gift cards as payment, including when someone only wants to spend a certain amount off the card. Also how do I add credit to a gift card?

Thanks.
    To only take off a certain amount press the Gift Card button on the payment screen then swipe it. The total balance on it comes up and then you just type in how much you want to take off.

I don't know how to top up existing cards, but if it's a new one from the shelf, you just need to scan and swipe it as it has the amount printed on as to much will go onto the bill.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i hope i won't be there in january

ReputationRep:
    I just applied to Sainsbury's online, and was suprised that there were no questions like: What are your achievements/Why are you right for this etc. Just plenty of multiple choice questions. Does anyone else find this annoying? As it gave me no chance to talk about myself, unlike other sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    I just applied to Sainsbury's online, and was suprised that there were no questions like: What are your achievements/Why are you right for this etc. Just plenty of multiple choice questions. Does anyone else find this annoying? As it gave me no chance to talk about myself, unlike other sites.
    yeah but its an unskilled job. I think they'd rather have people with some aptitude getting interviews, not people who can write a nice paragraph about their hobbies etc.

And you can tell them all that at the interview. The tests make it easier to determine who gets interviewed, in my opinion.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They ask you about that stuff at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be working tomorrow but all week I've had an awful cold that isn't improving despite taking the maximum amount of medicine. I'm going to phone up later, but who should I ask for to say that I won't be able to come in?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    yeah but its an unskilled job. I think they'd rather have people with some aptitude getting interviews, not people who can write a nice paragraph about their hobbies etc.

And you can tell them all that at the interview. The tests make it easier to determine who gets interviewed, in my opinion.
    Fair enough .
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    I'm supposed to be working tomorrow but all week I've had an awful cold that isn't improving despite taking the maximum amount of medicine. I'm going to phone up later, but who should I ask for to say that I won't be able to come in?

Thanks
    Your manager, I guess!

Expect them to say 'er no you have to come in' though

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I was rejected so soon . Time to look for another place ><.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Sorry to hear that , and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. My boyfriend got rejected and he worked at ASDA on the checkouts over Xmas on night shifts shelf stacking/checkout which is like the same thing as this job... :no:

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, gotta work while the football's on. It's gonna be dead on checkouts this afternoon! >.<

No one in the store this morning was working past 2.30. Not sure who is meant to be working when the football starts...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    All our workers were hiding in the canteen whenthe last one was on, apart from the few that were on checkouts

ReputationRep:
    Reckon there's a chance of them letting us watch the football on sunday?

Obviously its on at 3.00 so we'd be finishing at 4.30, store closes 30 mins before. Surely they'd let those who want to watch it go off and do so?

Depends on how busy the store is, how many people you have in, and how nice your managers are. They can't effectively close the store early for a football match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerPele)
    Reckon there's a chance of them letting us watch the football on sunday?

Obviously its on at 3.00 so we'd be finishing at 4.30, store closes 30 mins before. Surely they'd let those who want to watch it go off and do so?
    A memo was passed around to your managers where they are able to accommodate those that want to watch football, can do so, as long as that person isn't absolutely required. You'll have to make it up elsewhere though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Depends on how busy the store is, how many people you have in, and how nice your managers are. They can't effectively close the store early for a football match.
    Our store sells TV's and they change the channel to the football.

ReputationRep:
    How easy is it to change departments or do overtime in other departments? Also, if checkouts aren't busy, can you ask to help stacking shelves? I'm on checkouts but i'm not sure if i can put up with them the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    If you are part time on checkouts you are almost guaranteed to be on only on the busy times. Checkouts department borrows from others a lot but very rarely the other way round.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.