Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    lol, this no overtime thing has seriously buggered up end change night :tongue:

how do i go about asking to drop a day from my contract? do i just ask the manager, or do i need to go to hr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Thanks for all the help guys, lovely to know they have a speedyreply system - in fact it's nice to know they bother replying at all! One of the most demoralising parts of job hunting is when places don't bother replying :/

when you talk about passing the test, is that the questionnaire thingy? How many questions do you need to get right to pass? Not too confident on that either, there's a few I wasn't sure on and guessed between two.

Also you say they stop vacancies after 2/3 applicants pass. Well then what happens? Do you compete with the other two for the job and if so how? Also, do they contact everyone at same time, or those who passed first, or those who've been rejected etc?

Thanks again
    The questions are basically a balance to delivering good customer service and getting as much money as possible from the customer.

So if you was asked "A customer has brought xyz from the cafe, and 20 minutes later they complain it is cold and request a replacement, what would you do". You would tell the customer it was brought out hot and it is now cold because it has been on their table for 20 minutes.

Before working at sainsbury's I would have just offered another meal, but that is wrong.

You need to remember that the old cliche "The customer is always right" is wrong. It just doesn't work like that.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite nice going to work at the moment, because of the Air Con... so refreshing haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, interview on Wednesday!

Any tips on what I should expect? What sort of questions and how best to answer them? I'm most scared for the, 'Why do you want to work for us' question, if they ask that, as I haven't a clue what I would say.

Out all night now but will check back tomorrow to hopefully find lots of lovely advice about passing the interview stage

ReputationRep:
    tbf, this thread is already full of advice. I remember reading through when I had my first interview. Is it for Whitley Bay?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    The questions are basically a balance to delivering good customer service and getting as much money as possible from the customer.

So if you was asked "A customer has brought xyz from the cafe, and 20 minutes later they complain it is cold and request a replacement, what would you do". You would tell the customer it was brought out hot and it is now cold because it has been on their table for 20 minutes.

Before working at sainsbury's I would have just offered another meal, but that is wrong.

You need to remember that the old cliche "The customer is always right" is wrong. It just doesn't work like that.
    Really? I said the answer that is right, I wouldn't have offered them anything... they should've ate it when they got it haha
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Hey guys, interview on Wednesday!

Any tips on what I should expect? What sort of questions and how best to answer them? I'm most scared for the, 'Why do you want to work for us' question, if they ask that, as I haven't a clue what I would say.

Out all night now but will check back tomorrow to hopefully find lots of lovely advice about passing the interview stage
    I said something about their ethics... the interviewer was quite impressed. And when he said 'where do you see yourself in 5 years?' and I said, "not here" he didn't seem to mind, lol

ReputationRep:
    don't know what is wrong with me asking this but how do you become a dept. manager from a general assistant? is it via team leader position then dept. manager?
    What is the pay too, checked online for dept. manager vacancies and the salary range is £15k-£25k. i've got an interview down in london (retail head office) but i'm in mixed minds.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    don't know what is wrong with me asking this but how do you become a dept. manager from a general assistant? is it via team leader position then dept. manager?
    What is the pay too, checked online for dept. manager vacancies and the salary range is £15k-£25k. i've got an interview down in london (retail head office) but i'm in mixed minds.
    our manager became a manager by doing some qualification, i don't think he was a team leader at any point but i could be wrong. one of our team leaders is on manager training scheme i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    our manager became a manager by doing some qualification, i don't think he was a team leader at any point but i could be wrong. one of our team leaders is on manager training scheme i think...
    Are you sure your current manager didn't come from another store because Sainsbury's like to move people around.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Are you sure your current manager didn't come from another store because Sainsbury's like to move people around.
    nope apparenty he's always worked in our store but he has been in different depts

ReputationRep:
    I know this thread will be full of advice but I can't read through it all, it's massive!

If someone could basically sum up what type of interview a General Assistant will recieve I'd be grateful, just so that I can prepare myself, prepare possible answers etc.

Also, it says I'm on a first stage interview on the website, how many stages are there?

ReputationRep:
    I know this thread will be full of advice but I can't read through it all, it's massive!

If someone could basically sum up what type of interview a General Assistant will recieve I'd be grateful, just so that I can prepare myself, prepare possible answers etc.

Also, it says I'm on a first stage interview on the website, how many stages are there?
    RogueTrombonist... the job description on the Sainsbury's website and the kinds of questions you have to answer online in your application, are not dis-similar to those you will be asked at interview... though they will not be the same, most Sainsbury's interviews are focused down on customer services.

Remember that General Assistants do lots of different stuff... unless you're on night shift, then you'll mainly be stacking shelves, otherwise I'd expect it to be quite customer service-focused and you might get till trained if you're lucky :p:

Don't forget to go in with your own questions as well!! And if they ask you if you've got any holidays coming up, don't be afraid to say them. I had 4 weeks off coming up 2 months after I started and I still got the job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    RogueTrombonist... the job description on the Sainsbury's website and the kinds of questions you have to answer online in your application, are not dis-similar to those you will be asked at interview... though they will not be the same, most Sainsbury's interviews are focused down on customer services.

Remember that General Assistants do lots of different stuff... unless you're on night shift, then you'll mainly be stacking shelves, otherwise I'd expect it to be quite customer service-focused and you might get till trained if you're lucky :p:

Don't forget to go in with your own questions as well!! And if they ask you if you've got any holidays coming up, don't be afraid to say them. I had 4 weeks off coming up 2 months after I started and I still got the job!
    Cheers pal, so will it be giving me situations I could face and me picking the best course of action? Will this be like on a sheet of paper with multiple choice?

One question I was going to ask would be about how easy is it to get overtime? I am genuinely interested because I'm applying for 12hours a week and have the time to do more but worried it might sound a little fake?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lukely)

I had exactly the same questions as someone who was applying to be on days :dontknow: The only difference was in my 1-to-1 interview I was asked if I was ok with long shifts and heavy lifting. Apart from that I'd say it was the same as any other.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    One question I was going to ask would be about how easy is it to get overtime? I am genuinely interested because I'm applying for 12hours a week and have the time to do more but worried it might sound a little fake?
    It depends on the store. The amount of overtime available has been cut drastically in a lot of stores right now to keep costs down.

ReputationRep:
    Not in my store it hasn't! We have ridiculous amounts of it available
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We are short staffed and they do have overtime available but the majority of the shift started before 2007 so they're not allowed overtime cos it pays time and a half to them. :tongue: which i think it ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    We're getting our self scan tills on the 18th, got training for them on the 20th.

Whats attending them like? would it be similar to supervising?

ReputationRep:
    The whole contracts thing at Sainsbury's is ridiculous. Everyone paid different amounts, people still on 1.5x overtime, people on sunday 1.5x pay. It's pretty unfair.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.