Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by otu1987)
    The whole contracts thing at Sainsbury's is ridiculous. Everyone paid different amounts, people still on 1.5x overtime, people on sunday 1.5x pay. It's pretty unfair.
    Yeah I think those on contracts before 2008 get Sunday pay and overtime premium, but us new ones don't get anything yet we do the same job they do. A lot of our shift aren't working hard anymore because the managers who get paid lots more and do very little (complaints have been made!) as well as our general assistant colleagues are starting to **** people off and the whole, "if they don't do a lot of work, why should I?" attitude is setting in...

ReputationRep:
    I got told somewhere on here that the vacancy is pulled from online after 3 successful applicants ie 3 people answer the questionnaire and then it goes offline.

Does this mean that I am competing against 3 for the job or do they rule some out due to looking at past experience etc? Or is all the qualifications, job history and that looked at alongside the interview to decide the best candidate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    I got told somewhere on here that the vacancy is pulled from online after 3 successful applicants ie 3 people answer the questionnaire and then it goes offline.

Does this mean that I am competing against 3 for the job or do they rule some out due to looking at past experience etc? Or is all the qualifications, job history and that looked at alongside the interview to decide the best candidate?
    They must do it purely on the questionnaire at that stage partly because my boyfriend got rejected when he has past experience on a checkout... So if you get the automated 'congratulations text' for an interview than you have to phone up and arrange one. However you would probably be more likely to get the job after the interview stage if you have relevant experience than someone who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessikar)
    They must do it purely on the questionnaire at that stage partly because my boyfriend got rejected when he has past experience on a checkout... So if you get the automated 'congratulations text' for an interview than you have to phone up and arrange one. However you would probably be more likely to get the job after the interview stage if you have relevant experience than someone who doesn't.
    Cheers, yeah I've got the interview tomorrow, not sure if I have the relevant experience though I do have experience which I will twist into some sort of relevance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm thinking of applying for a job at Sainsburys but wanted to ask a few questions beforehand.
    It would be my first job apart from working in my parent's holiday cottage for the past few summers so i admit that it's unlikely i'd even get to interview but there's no harm trying.
    Firstly, Is it a good company to work for?
    Also, for a 16 year old of school leaving age is the pay minimum wage?
    And I'll be going to sixth form in september so are they likely to be flexible with hours or will I have to just quit or whatever then?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I just arranged for an interview on saturday and I have a few questions. If any one could help answer them then that would be great :p:

Does anyone know the format of the interview? And generally what happens in it?

Any information on the DVD we have to watch and answer questions on?
    What sort of questions will we be asked in the 1-on-1 part of the interview?

And also what is suitable to wear? :cool:

I'm sure some of this info is in the thread but I don't fancy reading through the many many pages of it.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie-27)
    Hello, I'm thinking of applying for a job at Sainsburys but wanted to ask a few questions beforehand.
    It would be my first job apart from working in my parent's holiday cottage for the past few summers so i admit that it's unlikely i'd even get to interview but there's no harm trying.
    And I'll be going to sixth form in september so are they likely to be flexible with hours or will I have to just quit or whatever then?
    Thanks in advance.

It says on the website below degree level they would only give you 10 hours a week during term time.

My brother works there and when he comes home from Uni for the holidays they always ask him to work so they would keep you long term in that sense as he's worked there like that for 2 years now (bearing in mind he did a full year there first).

To get an interview i think it only relies upon getting a high enough score on the questionnaire rather than experience but i don't know for definate.

I think the pay would be 4.50 or less but i have no idea because i'm 18 and it only says 18+ wage on website.

ReputationRep:
    Um... in the questionnaire for a question about serving food to a customer and then 10 minutes later they complained its cold even though all of the cooking things work.

I put 'explain to the customer that they had their food for 10 minutes...' purely because giving away food wastes money even though the customer is meant to be right... so should i of put 'give them a refund', 'give them a hot meal' or 'check it is hot?'

ReputationRep:
    It says on the website below degree level they would only give you 10 hours a week during term time.

My brother works there and when he comes home from Uni for the holidays they always ask him to work so they would keep you long term in that sense as he's worked there like that for 2 years now (bearing in mind he did a full year there first).

To get an interview i think it only relies upon getting a high enough score on the questionnaire rather than experience but i don't know for definate.

I think the pay would be 4.50 or less but i have no idea because i'm 18 and it only says 18+ wage on website.
    I think for some reason the pay is different in every store?! I don't know why this is but I understand 18+ in my store is £6.44 p/h, and I looked at the jobs advertised at another store (in the same county) that just came up and they said a lower hourly rate for 18+?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie-27)
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi

Well, I got this job at 16, my first job too, I don't think that counts against you at all for a Sainsburys job! Most of the part timers that started with me were also working for the first time.

The pay is actually pretty good, its definitely above minimum wage! It depends on where you live though; I live in the south and got paid £5.08 when I started which went up to £5.38 after 6 months.

I find that they are generally reasonably flexible, I think most student part timers tend to do 1/2 evenings and a weekend day- normally the evenings would be able to be moved around with other students as needed, although it does depend on your manager!

Are they a good company? Ha! Well imo no not at all lol. A part from the pay there is not a lot going for them! They are very very very profit driven, and productivity is a big thing with them! You are worked very hard, and usually are understaffed but they refuse to hire more. Overtime often goes unpaid even if you get everything signed and then its a huge hassle to fight for it. There is a lot of favouritism among managers and the work itself is repetitious and boring. Also their very harsh with their disciplinarys, you get one for stupid things. And, do not ever tell a manager anything you wish to remain confidential, it will be passed round the whole store in seconds!

Wow, I've written a lot sorry! Anyway I know I've made them sound pretty bad, but actually the people I work with are great, made lots of friends and we do have a laugh, apart from slight issues with my ***** of a manager I don't really mind it! Definitely try for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    I think for some reason the pay is different in every store?! I don't know why this is but I understand 18+ in my store is £6.44 p/h, and I looked at the jobs advertised at another store (in the same county) that just came up and they said a lower hourly rate for 18+?!

Yeah it probably depends on the area as some areas are more expensive than others (e.g. London)...mine is £6.07.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    repetitious
    lol i'm trying to say that word in my head, spent the last 2 minutes trying to say it

sainsbury's like to think they are customer focused. i'd agree to an extent on queue lengths compared to the likes of asda and tesco. they do have a thing where colleagues can allow the customers to try before they buy as mentioned in the induction but ive never seen anyone do that not to mention it all goes down as wastage, and they have wastage targets so how can you excercise that regularly on top of normal wastage from the store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    lol i'm trying to say that word in my head, spent the last 2 minutes trying to say it

sainsbury's like to think they are customer focused. i'd agree to an extent on queue lengths compared to the likes of asda and tesco. they do have a thing where colleagues can allow the customers to try before they buy as mentioned in the induction but ive never seen anyone do that not to mention it all goes down as wastage, and they have wastage targets so how can you excercise that regularly on top of normal wastage from the store.

Could you answer my question above please? Thank you if you can xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey interview tomorrow bit of a last minute question.

It's about those multi-choice questions where you're given like 3 options and have to choose the best. Looking at this one (was on application)

Guy buys food, stares at it for 10 minutes, complains about it being cold, what do you do?

Give new hot meal
    Explain it's been at table for 10 minutes so you won't refund it

Whilst one seems to be customer orientated (customer is always right bla bla bla) the other is business orientated (cut down on waste, don't give out easy refunds)

So which one should I pick? I read somewhere on this thread someone said what you have to remember is that the old cliche 'the customer is always right' is wrong. This threw me as before I would have chosen the customer friendly option evertime.

So to sum up, in the interview tomorrow with the multi-choice questions should I be...

Customer Orientated and put customer first
    Business Orientated and put profit first.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey interview tomorrow bit of a last minute question.

It's about those multi-choice questions where you're given like 3 options and have to choose the best. Looking at this one (was on application)

Guy buys food, stares at it for 10 minutes, complains about it being cold, what do you do?

Give new hot meal
    Explain it's been at table for 10 minutes so you won't refund it

Whilst one seems to be customer orientated (customer is always right bla bla bla) the other is business orientated (cut down on waste, don't give out easy refunds)

So which one should I pick? I read somewhere on this thread someone said what you have to remember is that the old cliche 'the customer is always right' is wrong. This threw me as before I would have chosen the customer friendly option evertime.

So to sum up, in the interview tomorrow with the multi-choice questions should I be...

Customer Orientated and put customer first
    Business Orientated and put profit first.

Thanks

I had the same question above ^^^.

I put the business orientated option because i recall it being mentioned in this thread before and if you explain to the customer reasonably then it should be the right choice because although 'the customer is always right' they could demand hot food all the time by doing that and the company would lose out on stock and that! I put refund as the worst option because it's to do with profit margin and a replacement meal would cost less!

ReputationRep:
    I had the same question above ^^^.

I put the business orientated option because i recall it being mentioned in this thread before and if you explain to the customer reasonably then it should be the right choice because although 'the customer is always right' they could demand hot food all the time by doing that and the company would lose out on stock and that! I put refund as the worst option because it's to do with profit margin and a replacement meal would cost less!
    I put give a new meal but still got invited to interview so I guess it didn't matter too much then but it may make the difference in the interview if I have the way of thinking that clicks with the company.

ReputationRep:
    I put give a new meal but still got invited to interview so I guess it didn't matter too much then but it may make the difference in the interview if I have the way of thinking that clicks with the company.

Well mine might be wrong....:p:

ReputationRep:
    Um... in the questionnaire for a question about serving food to a customer and then 10 minutes later they complained its cold even though all of the cooking things work.

I put 'explain to the customer that they had their food for 10 minutes...' purely because giving away food wastes money even though the customer is meant to be right... so should i of put 'give them a refund', 'give them a hot meal' or 'check it is hot?'

Usually the questions are common sense. If you have difficulty in this then try putting yourself in the customers shoes and do what you would want the staff to do.

Re that question:

Give them a refund: The only thing wrong with the meal is that it is cold. The "fault" has been caused by the customer so a refund is out of the question.

Give them a hot meal: Same as above.

Check it is hot: Would you really want someone to stick their fingers in your meal? No. thought not.

As I have previously said, the old cliche - "The customer is always right" is wrong and flawed.

However circumstances will change this answer. If there is a customer and they kick up a fuss in front of other customers, in order to preserve the companies reputation, a replacement will need to be considered.

You answered correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my interview :eek3:

Hope it went alright, he did say 'we will contact you by letter' though, which worried me a bit. I thought successfull applicants were phoned? If he's said I will be notified by letter does this mean I haven't got it? Or am I reading to much into it? I hope hope hope I get the job.

ReputationRep:
    Just had my interview :eek3:

Hope it went alright, he did say 'we will contact you by letter' though, which worried me a bit. I thought successfull applicants were phoned? If he's said I will be notified by letter does this mean I haven't got it? Or am I reading to much into it? I hope hope hope I get the job.

Apparentely it's not the interviewer who chooses, its HR people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.