Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Well I was contracted to do thurs/fri/sat nights, and I had my induction on thurs/fri/sat after I was told I had the job, so I didn't actually start til the following week. A girl who was at the induction with me actually started the day after induction finished so it depends on your contract days I guess!
    Ah right, i thought induction was for like a whole week, so basically it's a few days then you start whenever the first date of your contract starts?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Ah right, i thought induction was for like a whole week, so basically it's a few days then you start whenever the first date of your contract starts?
    Your contract starts pretty much the day you start induction... cos I started on 1st October officially, but my contract says I started 24th Sept which was my induction.

Induction depends on your store - mine was over 3 days but some people it's only 1 or 2 days. Plus you might have to be trained on the checkouts too which is more time

ReputationRep:
    Your contract starts pretty much the day you start induction... cos I started on 1st October officially, but my contract says I started 24th Sept which was my induction.

Induction depends on your store - mine was over 3 days but some people it's only 1 or 2 days. Plus you might have to be trained on the checkouts too which is more time
    is induction on the job training? if so do you get paid?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    is induction on the job training? if so do you get paid?
    It's training yes and yes you'll get paid for it Woo! You get paid to sit there and watch health and safety videos!

ReputationRep:
    It's training yes and yes you'll get paid for it Woo! You get paid to sit there and watch health and safety videos!
    hmm sounds good :p: although i'm probably getting ahead of myself lol, haven't had any response yet and if i get any not guaranteed to get the job. Also since i'm going to uni again they'll probably not take me
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    hmm sounds good :p: although i'm probably getting ahead of myself lol, haven't had any response yet and if i get any not guaranteed to get the job. Also since i'm going to uni again they'll probably not take me
    Quite a few people here have dual store contracts where they switch between stores depending where they are

ReputationRep:
    Should I tell my interviewer when I go for the interview that I may not be available weekends, or ring up beforehand? The working days are Mon, Fri and Saturday, so that's 1/3 I can't do. Ideally, I would like to do Wednesday's as well - what are the odds of that being able to be sorted though? The vacancy page says it is a 'Variable Shift'.

Also, what is the likelyhood of being taken on permanently (as the vacancy is temp.) if I do a good job?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people here have dual store contracts where they switch between stores depending where they are
    yea i've seen however seeing it from the managers point of view he'd probably not want to have to waste more time than he has to if you get what i mean. Ie he can get someone to stay for more than 2 months or he can have me and then need to find somebody else 2 months later
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yea i've seen however seeing it from the managers point of view he'd probably not want to have to waste more time than he has to if you get what i mean. Ie he can get someone to stay for more than 2 months or he can have me and then need to find somebody else 2 months later
    Then don't say you're going to uni :tongue:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Blighty Andy)
    Should I tell my interviewer when I go for the interview that I may not be available weekends, or ring up beforehand? The working days are Mon, Fri and Saturday, so that's 1/3 I can't do. Ideally, I would like to do Wednesday's as well - what are the odds of that being able to be sorted though? The vacancy page says it is a 'Variable Shift'.

Also, what is the likelyhood of being taken on permanently (as the vacancy is temp.) if I do a good job?

Thanks
    I would think it depends on the store. I know people on our shift have been hired to do fri & sat night but none of them have actually even been on fri or sat. So you might get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Then don't say you're going to uni :tongue:
    tutor as a reference :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    tutor as a reference :p:
    Sburys didn't even contact my referees

ReputationRep:
    Induction is paid. In my case it took 21 hours so a very easy £130

ReputationRep:
    Sburys didn't even contact my referees
    there is still hope :p:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone confirm, example is payday on 16th.

You always get paid on a Friday, cut off point is always Saturday before?

So this time your pay stops at the end of the Saturday (10th) before every fourth friday (16th)?

And work on Sunday onwards goes in next pay packet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Originally posted by GingerPele
    Just a bit confused about asking for ID if there's groups of people. A young looking girl was on my till a few days ago, I asked for ID and she had it, so no problems. Her Mum was on the next till with a boy of around 18,19. They all knew each other and the boy came over and talked with her after she'd paid for the goods (think it was her BF). Surely I wouldn't need to ID the boy in that situation as she'd already paid/or was in the process of doing so.

Also if you were to be caught what would actually happen, I've heard stories about going to court etc.

If he was 18/19, there's nothing the law can do because he wasn't underage.
    RE: the above.

Yes you can go to court if you sold stuff to someone under-age. And you would most likely get fined. Seen the Think 25 posters? £1000 for purchasing alcohol for someone under the age of 18 or attempting to purchase it when you are not yet 18 I believe?

As for what FXX said, +1 to that but did you ask the boyfriend for ID? If not, then you didn't follow the Think 25 ASK policy correctly and if they'd been Measure 25 mystery shoppers they tell the store every time it's passed/failed and who the cashier was, what till etc. The first one was passed in our store last week. It's name and shame regardless of passing/failing it! And it is '3 strikes and out' with that. They'll come back to you twice more in the period if you fail it again, and if you fail it all 3 times you're (supposed to be) fired. But how they'll stick to it I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of Customer Service Roles advertised at my local Sainsburys, how ever this requires you to work behind the till, something I dont particularly want to do. Is there anyway around this? I'd much prefer to have a job out the back or checking products etc, do they advertise these on the website?

(Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Can someone confirm, example is payday on 16th.

You always get paid on a Friday, cut off point is always Saturday before?

So this time your pay stops at the end of the Saturday (10th) before every fourth friday (16th)?

And work on Sunday onwards goes in next pay packet?
    Exactly right.

(Original post by Scorpiaz)
    There are loads of Customer Service Roles advertised at my local Sainsburys, how ever this requires you to work behind the till, something I dont particularly want to do. Is there anyway around this? I'd much prefer to have a job out the back or checking products etc, do they advertise these on the website?
    Customer service is a polite way of saying checkouts. Yes, the shop floor positions are advertised on the website as well, but they may list them as General Assistant so you won't know which department you're in until you start, and you may well have to work on tills anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Sounds like a really bad day!
    We were busy yesterday too... had all the working tills open before 10 with big queue's, yet that wasn't enough for some people, it's like they wanted more tills magic'ed out of somewhere! Fair enough, no-one likes queueing, but I'm sure he heard my service calls, and could see I was doing something

We get self scan in a month, I'm sure that will help us with queue's (I hope!)
    (and what is Dual Control?)
    dual control = 2 people handling money. At the moment, 2 people need to do the float in the morning, 2 people need to flight self service, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.