Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the reply, so in regards to that specific question about the meat going brown. I clicked the answer: take it off the shop floor and mark as 'unavailable for sale' because the meat was going off and obviously isnt healthy for customers. Was that right? Or should I of left it because it was still in date?

Thanks again in advance.

The people who do that sort of thing in our store take it off as soon as it starts going brown. It's a health risk and having brown meat on the shelves doesn't make the company look good.

Of course I could be wrong. I stole the answers from the previous Sainsburys topic

ReputationRep:
    DISCOUNT QUESTION

Can you use staff discount online?

Need to get a netbook for a family member before I leave Sainsbury's/the country!! Found an Acer on Sainsbury's website for £199...

Anybody know if you can definitely key in Staff Discount online?

ReputationRep:
    i believe you need to call them up so it gets linked to your account.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ours leave it on lol :rofl: the bacon in our store is gross, always brown. Apparently the lights cook it?! Our night shift takes all the manky looking meat off

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated but one last question. One of the questions that come up is about a woman wanting to buy a bulky tv which is in the warehouse on the top shelf and everyone else in your department including team leader is on break. The woman has other shopping to do.

The choices are, if I remember correctly.

1) Get the tv of the shelf by myself and bring it to the customer
    2) Find your team leader and get them to get somebody to help you
    3)Explain to the customer that other members of staff will help her once they are back from a their break
    4)Tell the customer to continue on with their shopping whilst I go and find someone to help me get the tv down.

I know the answers or questions isnt worded that way but its basically like that.

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for 4,

when a customer always asks me for a tv, i ask them if they have much shopping left to do, if they say yes then I tell them to continue and i'd have the tv at customer service/gm desk ready for him/her to pay for it.
    if they say they're done, i look at their shopping if it's a small amount I say they can pay for it with the tv at the service desk and i'll be back with a tv in 2 mins.
    if they ask why they can't pay for the tv at the tills is because they need to fill out a tv licence form

can't be 1, cos you never give/leave a tv with a customer or any high value items. or carry a large item by yourself, even though i still carry a huge 42" box that i can't reach both handles for.
    can't be 2, cos you should use your initiative rather than ask someone to ask someone to help you. and you can never find your team leader/manager anywhere
    can't be 3, cos that just ain't customer service.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, just got off a 10 hour night shift. If you stack shelves FLATTEN YOUR FRICKEN CARDBOARD AND DONT LEAVE IT ALL FOR THE POOR SOD (i.e me) TO PUT INTO THE COMPACTOR
    I was at it for 6 straight hours, I almost have an intimate relationship with that thing.
    /rant

ReputationRep:
    Got my induction next week

What would be better to wear and so I don't look like an idiot if everyone is less dressed/more dressed. Jean t-shirt and a pair of vans or shirt pants and shoes?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've got an interview for a temporary night shift job next Tues and I desperately need help. I'm god awful at interviews.
    First, I'm think of wearing black shoes, black trousers, black belt and white shirt. The HR lady on the phone said smart casual, but I hate doing things half arsed.
    Second, I'm really bad with even the standard questions such as: "Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?" My instictive response would be "For the money, Fool!"
    What I think I should say is "I believe Sainsburys to be a leader in the supermarket industry as such it can offer a secure working environment, although this position is temporary I hope it can give me the skills with which to be able to secure a more permanent vacancy when one becomes available." <<Is that too much ass wiping?
    Another one I struggle with "What is meant by good customer service?" My response: "Good customer service is evident when the customer leaves pleased, to offer such an experience the customer assistant needs to be friendly, approachable and most of all helpful." <<That sounds too boring to me :s

Any advice guys?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Hey guys,

I've got an interview for a temporary night shift job next Tues and I desperately need help. I'm god awful at interviews.
    First, I'm think of wearing black shoes, black trousers, black belt and white shirt. The HR lady on the phone said smart casual, but I hate doing things half arsed.
    Second, I'm really bad with even the standard questions such as: "Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?" My instictive response would be "For the money, Fool!"
    What I think I should say is "I believe Sainsburys to be a leader in the supermarket industry as such it can offer a secure working environment, although this position is temporary I hope it can give me the skills with which to be able to secure a more permanent vacancy when one becomes available." <<Is that too much ass wiping?
    Another one I struggle with "What is meant by good customer service?" My response: "Good customer service is evident when the customer leaves pleased, to offer such an experience the customer assistant needs to be friendly, approachable and most of all helpful." <<That sounds too boring to me :s

Any advice guys?
    I just said I wanted to work for Sainsbury's cos it was a respected brand and also I liked their ethics eg free range meat/eggs... and environmentally friendly etc. No need to overdo it but your responses seem ok Unless you've got a 24 hour store you're probably not going to come into contact with customers on night shift. I have one hour contact with them on a Friday night and that's it :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys sent me an email after my interview saying

"Dear Samuel,

Thank you for attending the interview for Customer Service Assistant at Brighton New A2147.

We are pleased to say that you have passed the interview stage of our selection process. Your skills are a good match for Sainsbury's. However, we are not able to progress your application any further for the moment as we do have other candidates whose skills are an even closer match for this particular role. We hope to find you a suitable opportunity in the future and we will be in touch if a suitable position becomes available.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in joining Sainsburys and for the time you have taken with your application. Please continue to visit our website as our business is continuing to grow with new opportunities becoming available on a regular basis.

Regards,
    Sainsbury's Resourcing Team."

Do you think they will bother to recruit me when a suitable postion becomes avaliable or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berwick53)
    Sainsburys sent me an email after my interview saying

"Dear Samuel,

Thank you for attending the interview for Customer Service Assistant at Brighton New A2147.

We are pleased to say that you have passed the interview stage of our selection process. Your skills are a good match for Sainsbury's. However, we are not able to progress your application any further for the moment as we do have other candidates whose skills are an even closer match for this particular role. We hope to find you a suitable opportunity in the future and we will be in touch if a suitable position becomes available.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in joining Sainsburys and for the time you have taken with your application. Please continue to visit our website as our business is continuing to grow with new opportunities becoming available on a regular basis.

Regards,
    Sainsbury's Resourcing Team."

Do you think they will bother to recruit me when a suitable postion becomes avaliable or not?
    You know what, as I was reading that I was fully expecting them to say you got the job.

To answer your question, and in the nicest way possible I don't think any of the regular people on this thread will know the answer since we have not been rejected.

The email is misleading though because it starts out like "OMG I GOT THE JOB", then lets you down "gently". It's just plain mean.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    they may as well rename my job title from 'general assistant' to 'general slave who does everyone elses work cos they're lazy'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berwick53)
    When I had my interview for Sainsburys about 2 years ago I got this email, they then rang me up a week or so later and offered me a position as a christmas temp. 2 years later and Im still there, so it is possible. What happened in my case was that someone transferred within the company from another store and took the job I was applying for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Hey guys,

Another one I struggle with "What is meant by good customer service?

Any advice guys?
    for the first, possibly something along the line of why retail; working with diverse people, want to try out retail and options for career are open to all sectors, a top 3 supermarket (saying top 3 normally means you are the third one), ethics, quote their values.
    just whatever really.
    i said that i wanted to know more about sainsbury's which was true becasue i wanted to go into head office. shame there aint a path that links stores to head office.

second question; thier customer service rules are in 3 steps:
    a good start: hi
    know your stuff: recommend something, alternative, know your product
    a good finish: a goodbye
    a a big cheesy smile throughout although most are just :indiff:
    so build something along that ^^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    they may as well rename my job title from 'general assistant' to 'general slave who does everyone elses work cos they're lazy'
    that would be a great title, imagine the tannoys that go out for them (though they don't tanny for general assistants'.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    that would be a great title, imagine the tannoys that go out for them (though they don't tanny for general assistants'.
    haah. shocked looks from the customers! no tannoys on nights though :tongue: am starting to get a little ticked off with what they expect me to do though. and if i have to do other peoples work i think i should get paid their wages for it

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone, I have my team leader sign off next week, I was wondering if anyone knows the kind of things they will ask me? I'm worried sick about failing it! Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.