Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by inksplodge)
    haah. shocked looks from the customers! no tannoys on nights though :tongue: am starting to get a little ticked off with what they expect me to do though. and if i have to do other peoples work i think i should get paid their wages for it
    You should stand up for yourself a bit more. Without wishing to sound 'hard', no one ***** with me at work because they know they won't get away with it. You aren't a slave, you're all there to do equal workloads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You should stand up for yourself a bit more. Without wishing to sound 'hard', no one ***** with me at work because they know they won't get away with it. You aren't a slave, you're all there to do equal workloads.
    I agree. Sometimes you have to tell them "nicely" to do it themselves.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I agree. Sometimes you have to tell them "nicely" to do it themselves.
    they don't care :tongue: we have had people say quite bluntly "**** off and do it yourself" and they aren't bothered.they'll just pile on more work for you to do it also lands you a complaint to the store manager! everyone has taken to working really slowly these days cos they just don't care any more!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for two different general assistant jobs with different email addresses to try and secure at least one of them. One of them said I got an interview and the other said 'My responses show I am not a suitable match'. How does this make sense when I answered both applications exactly the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generaldonado)
    Hi, I applied for two different general assistant jobs with different email addresses to try and secure at least one of them. One of them said I got an interview and the other said 'My responses show I am not a suitable match'. How does this make sense when I answered both applications exactly the same?

Mabye because someone else answered more questions more appropriately than you did.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

Also, is it true the job advertised gets removed once 3 people pass the questionnaire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odriscoll)
    Got my induction next week

What would be better to wear and so I don't look like an idiot if everyone is less dressed/more dressed. Jean t-shirt and a pair of vans or shirt pants and shoes?

Thanks
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    just wear watever you want, its not a big deal! I wore my normal everyday clothes and so did everyone else.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    On my induction everyone wore black trousers and a white shirt.

yay no work until 29th

ReputationRep:
    Just got off nights and had my first day on BWS - soooo much better
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    lucky bum. can't wait to get a new job in the daytime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    lucky bum. can't wait to get a new job in the daytime!
    Hey, been at sains for over a week now. Got the job but they gave me a daytime shift instead (think the manager felt sorry for me because he mentioned why I wanted to punish myself working nights). Thanks for your advice though!

ReputationRep:
    WARNING - THIS POST IS ANGRY! And, I am very, very, very annoyed at the way I have been treated! Read at your leisure and pleasure.

A few weeks ago my mum was offered a new job. It's a long, long way away from England and involves an emigration that was being planned for 3+ years now.

The job offer and successful sale of our house has meant we're finally able to move.

BUT it involves me not seeing some of my family for a long while at least, months probably if not a couple of years!

I have worked at Sainsbury's since 2008. Almost been two years. I've seen it all.

I have handed in my notice, just a few weeks ago and my last working day with them will be a week Saturday. At this time, it was also discussed that I would like this coming weekend off as holiday (16-17th). It was said by my department manager and the team leader who is responsible for the holidays that it would all be fine and I could have the weekend "or even go off sick and they couldn't do anything!" if I didn't have any holiday left, leaving part way through a year and all that it's pro-rata apparently? Never knew that!!

SO. Perhaps you're wondering now what I've got to be angry about?

Well today is my birthday... the big milestone birthday of 18. I got a call this morning from one of the team leaders saying I had no holiday left, and it'd been refused and they said I had to come in. And when I asked what would happen if I didn't? Oooh - blackmail. I'd get into trouble and it would all go down on my reference about why I didn't show up etc!

So I got a tad ticked off, just took it, and left our team leader to work. I went and spoke to my parents who then called to speak to HR. They gave the same story, and this made them angry too...

They are completely 100% aware of the circumstances surrounding me leaving and yet they have completely gone back on their words, and tried to cover their backs and then used black-mail to try and get me into work for the whole weekend again when I should be spending time with people I may never see again, at least for a long time.

They refused to let us speak with a deputy manager or anyone of more senior position than HR manager who is useless...

The fact is they chose today, when they had weeks to tell me I couldn't have the time off, 4 days before, and on my birthday. What an absolute load!

They didn't offer any options - authorised unpaid leave, making the hours up during the week, just told me I had to be there Friday and Saturday or I'd get a load of rubbish written about me when I leave and that's all there is to it?!

We managed to knock them down to just work Friday night and take off Saturday.

Apart from that, is there anyone I can write to in order to raise some kind of "issue" with them?!

Any help, appreciated!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Just don't work them. I didn't think they were allowed to write a bad reference, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just back from interview. Which started at 9:30pm and finished at 11:15pm, am I the only one that thinks this is slightly excessive?
    I thought it went well. He took my size details, bothered to answer my questions and at the end even asked if I was willing to work elsewhere in the store, such as the pharmacy as he thinks it'd suit me better.
    Has anyone had to wait 3 weeks to be told they're hired? I'm really hoping he just calls tomorrow.
    Also, thanks for the replies to my anxious post. Rep will be coming.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be p'd off iff that happened to me at work, and i'm a calm kinda guy (except at home when i'm miserable and moody). I imagine it would be best to speak to the store manager, if he doesn't care try the regional manager (store managers seem to be **** scared of them). Although that would probably get you a bad reference still.
    Other thing would be to mention on your talkback, but I don't think one is due before you leave.
    Oh, are you part of the union? you could go and let them fight it for you, some people in my store had holidays refused and got them by going to them.

yes zorg i think your interview was quite long, mine was 10 mins long. longest interview i've had was 45mins. but i suppose if he kept you for a while, he must have liked you, so hopefully you'd be part of the exciting sainsbury's team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Hey guys, just back from interview. Which started at 9:30pm and finished at 11:15pm, am I the only one that thinks this is slightly excessive?
    I thought it went well. He took my size details, bothered to answer my questions and at the end even asked if I was willing to work elsewhere in the store, such as the pharmacy as he thinks it'd suit me better.
    Has anyone had to wait 3 weeks to be told they're hired? I'm really hoping he just calls tomorrow.
    Also, thanks for the replies to my anxious post. Rep will be coming.
    I had my interview last Monday and found out I got the job on the Thursday.

I have a quick question, I have my induction Thursday and Friday, according to my hours the first week (week 1) is Sunday and Monday, so I'm guessing it will be induction Thursday and Friday, off Saturday and then work begins Sunday?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I had my interview last Monday and found out I got the job on the Thursday.

I have a quick question, I have my induction Thursday and Friday, according to my hours the first week (week 1) is Sunday and Monday, so I'm guessing it will be induction Thursday and Friday, off Saturday and then work begins Sunday?
    Yes :yep: but ask your trainer just to make sure you're on the rota.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just one last question to make sure I've got this right.

Week 1 I'm on Sunday and Monday
    Week 2 I'm on Thursday and Saturday

So when I finish my Monday shift do I have to wait 10 days until my week 2 shift?

ReputationRep:
    you got one wierd rota, how many hours you contracted to in a week? if the sunday and monday hours add up to your weekly total hours then it appears your next shift is in 10 days time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.