Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    yes zorg i think your interview was quite long, mine was 10 mins long. longest interview i've had was 45mins. but i suppose if he kept you for a while, he must have liked you, so hopefully you'd be part of the exciting sainsbury's team.
    Well the one to one part wasn't the full hour and 45 mins; the DVD took about 40 mins (I kept skipping ahead and finished with about 10 mins of the DVD left to go) and then we just talked, pretty informally about normal interview stuff. I still found it hard to believe it took nearly 2 hours to interview one person. I'm hoping he liked me too, if I get this job it's £600 a month so that'd help me get back into the black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    you got one wierd rota, how many hours you contracted to in a week? if the sunday and monday hours add up to your weekly total hours then it appears your next shift is in 10 days time.
    12 hours a week and yes Sunday and Monday make 12 hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odriscoll)
    It's not that weird a system. A lot of people I know, my dad included, have their working weeks start on the Sunday. This allows end of week banking to be done on the Sunday so money can be transferred to banks on the Monday.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    definitely double check what day your first shift is, then. someone i started with was meant to have a two week rota but ended up only having a one week rota

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    I'd be p'd off iff that happened to me at work, and i'm a calm kinda guy (except at home when i'm miserable and moody). I imagine it would be best to speak to the store manager, if he doesn't care try the regional manager (store managers seem to be **** scared of them). Although that would probably get you a bad reference still.
    Other thing would be to mention on your talkback, but I don't think one is due before you leave.
    Oh, are you part of the union? you could go and let them fight it for you, some people in my store had holidays refused and got them by going to them.

yes zorg i think your interview was quite long, mine was 10 mins long. longest interview i've had was 45mins. but i suppose if he kept you for a while, he must have liked you, so hopefully you'd be part of the exciting sainsbury's team.
    lol yeah I know this wouldn't have happened if our old department manager was still here!!

I'm not part of any unions. I've fought them now, and managed to knock them down to just letting me have the Saturday off. I wasn't really planning to do anything on the Friday night anyway, but, tbf it's still bad.

Whilst they may then go scribble some crap about it on my reference, which, as inksplodge pointed out I don't think they're allowed to do(!!) or threaten to anyway... I think I've got reasonable grounds to explain that to them, and if I ever come back to the UK I won't be even thinking about working for Sainsbury's again.

Certainly, I won't be recommending that anyone should consider working for them. It's been 2 years of crap, crap, crap, with a couple of months break and then a load more crap!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to wear jeans and a t-shirt for my induction, I bet everyone is wearing shirt and pants now I have decided on that :|

I've decided to wear jeans and a t-shirt for my induction, I bet everyone is wearing shirt and pants now I have decided on that :|
    I wore a hoody to my induction while everyone else dressed up smart. It doesn't matter. It's their fault for overdoing it Chances are you'll be in uniform for the second day anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I always wear hoodies and considered it for this but I just couldn't, going to wear a polo instead of a t-shirt now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    lucky bum. can't wait to get a new job in the daytime!
    Just keep pushing for it! That's what I did. It is such a relief when you get it though, none of the shift pain! So much more relaxed and you actually get to do things without someone breathing down your neck about how fast you're going! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Hoping someone can offer me some help!

Worked at Sainsburys Local for 4 months now, after joining before first pay the manager sent off the relevant form to the tax people to get me the relevant tax code... 3 pay periods passed so I rung the tax people direct, who then told me they would send the tax code to myself and sainsburys (This was three weeks ago). A week after this call I received a letter stating my tax code... therefore I assumed that Sainsbury's also would receive the letter around the same time. However today upon receiving my payslip I am still on emergency tax.

My duty manager says she has done everything she can, and I believe this to be the case as it is out of her hands? Does anybody know anything I can do or a number that I could ring at the Sainsburys payroll department to ask if they have received my tax code?

Thanks for any help,

Alastair

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I dont think there is a lot your dept manager can do. It'll be HR. Keep on at them because they are never in much of a hurry to sort wages out. Most people get problems in the first few months, I expect it's the sheer volume of wages they have to pay out. But all you can do is keep on & on & on & on, until it's done unfortunately. That's the norm with Sainsburys. Once it's sorted, that should be it though.

Please tell me it's payday tomorrow! Poor as a church mouse this week....

ReputationRep:
    i have another question!
    i've been told i need to do something called counting on a morning next week. can somebody please explain how you do this and why? i'd really appreciate it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yes, pay day TOMORROW!! yay :woo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Whilst they may then go scribble some crap about it on my reference, which, as inksplodge pointed out I don't think they're allowed to do(!!) or threaten to anyway... I think I've got reasonable grounds to explain that to them, and if I ever come back to the UK I won't be even thinking about working for Sainsbury's again.
    They can write negative things in your reference as long as it is true and they can back it up. So whilst they couldn't say that you were always a troublemaker and taking holiday that wasn't authorised they could certainly mention this one time. Generally, companies don't like giving bad references because of the misconception that they can't do this and it just causes trouble for them. But if they want to they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiler93)
    i have another question!
    i've been told i need to do something called counting on a morning next week. can somebody please explain how you do this and why? i'd really appreciate it
    have you done the FOA before? where you carry a handset and walk you department looking for gaps, lows and highs (identfied by the yellow domino tags).
    for highs with the domino tags, you scan the item, key in how many there are on shopfloor, press enter, then key in the number of cases in the warehouse which is the number that is showing on the tags. then enter.
    for lows, you just count the items you believe you don't have anymore of in the warehouse, so just like you do for highs but don't need to key in the number of warehouse, just enter.
    for gaps, like the above none on shelf and none in warehouse, nothing to enter you can just press enter twice or leave it and scan something else.

also you will need to check up on what needs to be correctly from the previous days errors. they should leave you a note somewhere.
    after all that you do some system counts (options 3, 1, 1 from the main menu, then select you dept.), it prompts you to an item and count what is on the shelf, once all shopfloor counts are done the same items appear but you count from the warehouse instead but in cases rather than units. press toggle if there are loose units and enter the stock as units (e.g there 4 cases of 6 units and 2 units, it won't let you enter 4 cases and 2 units, so you need to enter 26 units).
    and finally one more count, options 3,1,3 from the main menu, there are rarely any of those but always good to check.

if you haven't done it before i imagine someone will be with you to show you.

why you do this is to always maintain good inventory management. it is important to highlight the highs because you obviously have neough in store and don't want anymore, the gaps because the store gets measured on availability, lows because you want to make sure you have enough to sell so it does not go out of stock. it's pretty much an ordering system, you it what you need and don't need.
    the system counts like to tell you to count items that have not been sold in a while, this could be because you actually have none of it left and inventory shows you do, in which case you need to correct inventory.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we always have too much of some things and not enough of others :awesome: not good inventory management!

ReputationRep:
    What would you say is the better job between produce and deli?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Produce but on Deli you would probably have closer relationships with your department colleagues. Produce tends to be more independent work but it's easy going. Depends what you find important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    yes, pay day TOMORROW!! yay :woo:
    Eagerly awaiting my £800

ReputationRep:
    What would you say is the better job between produce and deli?
    i do see deli guys just stand about when there are no customers, so that can't be much fun. however, each counter should be manned so you can get to know the fish man and the beef man. not sure what goes on behind the scenes though.
    produce i think has a bit more to it, it's a busy department so you need to be on top of replenishment, code check, tag, foa, disposals etc. and as mentioned you can be on your own for a length of time.

a quick question for you guys, in a job application, what do you put as employer.
    J. Sainsbury PLC
    Sainsbury's
    Sainsbury's Supermarket

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.