Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We had a Sensational deal on Walkers Sensations today. We were paying people 50p to buy two packs of them due to a Price Control screw up. The offer was on all day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashfield777)
    Had my first day of induction yesterday and I got 2 polos (which feel really big :o: ) and the other stuff is being ordered. I have till training tomorrow and was wondering what I should wear. Since I haven't got the 'work' trousers, do I just wear normal black trousers and black shoes?
    Thanks.
    That's probably a good idea. I wear my own black trousers anyway because my Sainsbury's ones don't fit me, and nobody notices. You might wanna take a zip up or something though, I dunno about anyone else's store but mine is always freezing, especially just sat on a till all day.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what breaks you get for an 8 hour shift, also do you get a lunch break?

ReputationRep:
    I think in my induction they said 2 paid 20 minute breaks for between 6-8 hour shift and anything over 8 hours it is 2 paid 20 minute breaks and 1 hour unpaid dinner. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Can anyone tell me what breaks you get for an 8 hour shift, also do you get a lunch break?
    You get half an hour paid, this might be split into two 15mins. You only get a lunch break if you work a 9 hour shift and you start before 12 eg. 10-7

ReputationRep:
    Oh also, does anyone know what RGS bonus holiday is? Got my holiday form on friday and apparently have 1 hour of this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    Oh also, does anyone know what RGS bonus holiday is? Got my holiday form on friday and apparently have 1 hour of this?!
    RGS = Rewarding good service (Or something). I think it is just extra holiday that Sainsbury's give you.

ReputationRep:
    Adding onto the previous post by someone, if you opt to take the hour lunch break you will not get paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    it's holiday you get from overtime you done last year.
    i got 68 hours of it, on top of my usual 6 weeks makes it 9 weeks and 8 hours hols for me :woo:

Ah, that explains why I got so much holiday this year... lol.

ReputationRep:
    I had my first difficulty on checkouts today. Everything was going fine, the customer entered their card, the box came up on my screen 'enter pin'. She types in her pin and then takes her card out as normal but nothing changes on my screen and no receipt is printed but the screen that the customer see's says 'balance accepted' or something along those lines. I call over a supervisor who doesn't know why nothing has changed on my screen. We don't know if the customer has been charged or not. She explains whats happened and suggests the customer puts her card in again and if charged twice, she can get a refund. The customer kicks off and the checkout manager comes over. He decides to save the transaction and to go and see if they've been charged or not. It turns out they hadn't been charged for it but we still don't know what happened. Perhaps a system failure or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordOfTheIsles)
    I had my first difficulty on checkouts today. Everything was going fine, the customer entered their card, the box came up on my screen 'enter pin'. She types in her pin and then takes her card out as normal but nothing changes on my screen and no receipt is printed but the screen that the customer see's says 'balance accepted' or something along those lines. I call over a supervisor who doesn't know why nothing has changed on my screen. We don't know if the customer has been charged or not. She explains whats happened and suggests the customer puts her card in again and if charged twice, she can get a refund. The customer kicks off and the checkout manager comes over. He decides to save the transaction and to go and see if they've been charged or not. It turns out they hadn't been charged for it but we still don't know what happened. Perhaps a system failure or something.
    They probably pulled their card out too early. It says accepted on the screen that prices come up on once you swipe a nectar card and it stays there for some reason. It never says accepted on the chip and pin terminal just 'pin ok'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odriscoll)
    Do you think it would be ok if I wore my own pants instead of the ones Sainsburys supply?
    Depends if they're appropriate or not... I was never given any by Sainsbury's so I've always just worn my own plain black trousers! :p:

ReputationRep:
    They're just plain black ones you would find in Sainsburys or any other place. Like what you'd wear to school.

ReputationRep:
    You get half an hour paid, this might be split into two 15mins. You only get a lunch break if you work a 9 hour shift and you start before 12 eg. 10-7
    I thought I would of got a lunch break for a 8 hour shift, 11-7.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would of got a lunch break for a 8 hour shift, 11-7.
    no, they're not that generous!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will get a lunch break...but be prepared for it to be as late as 3pm if you start at 11! It is unpaid. You will also be entitled to another (paid) break in the afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    So whos right, some are saying you do, some you don't? I was on the understanding that if you started the shift before 12 you got a 1 hour unpaid lunch?

ReputationRep:
    Any shift I've had going over lunch time (12-2) and that has been more than 4.5 hours (so entitled to break), I have always been given an unpaid hour, whether I wanted it or not. Sunday is the exception where they give you half an hour paid, it could just be my store/checkouts that work like that?

ReputationRep:
    Oh well I guess its different in different stores, in my store you only get a lunch for a 9 hour shift.
    But thinking about it I consider a 10-7 to be a 9 hour shift, but I only actually work 8 hours, 1 hour is the unpaid lunch, maybe we're calling the same thing by different names?! I don't know I'm confusing myself now lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.