Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have a 2 day induction starting tomorrow at Ellsmere Port and I was wondering what it would include? It's a night job too if that helps?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyaudo)
    Hi guys, I have a 2 day induction starting tomorrow at Ellsmere Port and I was wondering what it would include? It's a night job too if that helps?
    Thanks
    Watching health and safety DVDs and filling out little test things afterwards as a group. Not sure what else, I'm on checkouts. Pretty boring stuff really! Easy oney though. Congrats on getting the job.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I've already experienced the first ****-up. I was told on the phone that my induction would be on the 21st and 22nd, I got a phone call at lunchtime today saying I should have been in 3 hours ago! So now I'm guessing that I'll be catching up with the rest of the people tomorrow, then doing my second day at the store I'll be working at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    So whos right, some are saying you do, some you don't? I was on the understanding that if you started the shift before 12 you got a 1 hour unpaid lunch?
    Basically...
    8 Hours (eg. 8 - 4, 9 - 5, 10 - 6, 11 - 7) you are entitled to 30mins of paid break.
    9 Hours (eg. 8 - 5, 9 - 6, 10 - 7, 11 - 8) you are entitled to 1 Hour of unpaid break and 30 mins of paid breaks.

Hope that makes it clearer for you

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to ask a similar question again, im just anxious for an interview.

If you have passed the online test and the application status says "application under review" after about 4 days, does that mean they will call you for an interview?

Would I have been told by now if I was unsuccessful?

ReputationRep:
    Never mind, finally got the interview, now for the nerves to kick in :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Help! Going to have to change dept & probably go on checkouts??? Not used a til for years! Online want everyone to start earlier, by 7am at the latest & due to commitments it's not possible for me to start any earlier than 9am as I do now. So I am going to have to opt for the dept change.
    What i'm curious about is, my hours are 9am til 1pm 3 days in the week & 6am-10am saturdays. For a start the store doesn't open until 7am, so I will have to start at 7 on saturdays?
    And do people actually get to finish on time on checkouts???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    And do people actually get to finish on time on checkouts???
    No. Especially on a Saturday.

I would always finish at least 10 minutes late.

ReputationRep:
    Oh blimey :-(
    I really dont want to change. 4 hours in online is great! Why does it always seem to be everything is going tickety boo, then they go & move the goal posts!
    My manager loves my shopping, I am down to 30 minutes average, the allocated is 38. She said she would like 20 more of me in the way of staff. And that if I had to change to checkouts what a waste! So why are they doing this to us grrrrrrrr.
    Affects 5 or 6 of us I think. Not too sure if i'm the only one that really cant start earlier. I am pretty sure of atleast another one that wont start that early.

We've had to start at 6am for god knows how long. I'm surprised your department has taken this long to catch up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    We've had to start at 6am for god knows how long. I'm surprised your department has taken this long to catch up...
    Yeh they made noises about it months ago, last year even, I guess I didn't think much of it as I hadn't heard anymore. Manager has been real good, & has even said she will let a couple of us start at 6, shoot off for an hour at 8 & come back & do a couple more hours. But that still wont really work out for me. I could start at 4 & finishe at 8, but who wants to get up at 3am 3 days a week???

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm new here and also just got a job at Sainsburys!

I am a general assistant in the fresh food department, can someone tell me what Im likely to be doing?

Tar

(Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Hi! I'm new here and also just got a job at Sainsburys!

I am a general assistant in the fresh food department, can someone tell me what Im likely to be doing?

Tar
    Probably shelf stacking or checking dates of things in fresh foods - so fresh meat and fish, cooked meat, ready meals, milk, yoghurts, etc. You'll probably also be till trained to help out in busy periods.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    And you'll be really cold haha. I don't want my holiday to end!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know exactly what the people on produce do? I kept seeing random people walking round there restocking the shelves, then I was told I needed steel toe caps for the machinery or something?

ReputationRep:
    3 hours work tomorrow, then for a week n a bit after, I shall mostly be doing...nothing!!! Better check what day I go back!

(Original post by odriscoll)
    Does anyone know exactly what the people on produce do? I kept seeing random people walking round there restocking the shelves, then I was told I needed steel toe caps for the machinery or something?
    You make sure produce is replenished. You might be put on code checking /price control or floral as well.

The crates can easily weigh 20kg each and the pump trucks can be pretty dangerous so the steel toed caps are for those.

ReputationRep:
    im in a bit of a kuffle here, on my interview i asked what the pay was and he told me that it would be 6.07 an hour however when i applied it said that was over 18 rate, and im 16. but he even wrote 6.07 on his interview sheet so, do you think they will actually pay me 6.07 withought realsising my age. ?

No they won't.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh gay, whats the pay for a band 2 guy whos 16 then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.