Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, quick question.

I work shift. 20 hours per week. I have the remainder of my holidays coming up in a few weeks. So say 5 weeks from now, I have no more holiday left till the end of the year which is March?

My question is, if I was to leave, after taking the last of my holidays for the year, giving in the notice period mind (if someone could tell us what that is too, that would be great), would that be fine or would they go back and see how many hours I've worked in total for this year, then calculate how much holiday I would be entitled too, and then dock or ask for some of the holiday pay back?

Don't want to set off alarm bells in HR so better to ask online I though.

Be appreciated if someone could shed some light on this. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshapple)
    Hi, quick question.

I work shift. 20 hours per week. I have the remainder of my holidays coming up in a few weeks. So say 5 weeks from now, I have no more holiday left till the end of the year which is March?

My question is, if I was to leave, after taking the last of my holidays for the year, giving in the notice period mind (if someone could tell us what that is too, that would be great), would that be fine or would they go back and see how many hours I've worked in total for this year, then calculate how much holiday I would be entitled too, and then dock or ask for some of the holiday pay back?

Don't want to set off alarm bells in HR so better to ask online I though.

Be appreciated if someone could shed some light on this. Cheers.
    Notice is 4 weeks and if you've taken the holiday, you've taken the holiday and they can't ask for it back :cool: They might be a bit annoyed if they find out you planned it like this, to take all your holiday and then leave lol, but you'll have left by then so no worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theamazingconquistadore)
    Notice is 4 weeks and if you've taken the holiday, you've taken the holiday and they can't ask for it back :cool: They might be a bit annoyed if they find out you planned it like this, to take all your holiday and then leave lol, but you'll have left by then so no worries.
    Afraid not. If you have taken proportionally too much holiday they will take the holiday pay out of your final pay. Similarly if you leave without taking the proportion of your holiday entitlement that you should have taken so far they will add that money onto your pay.

ReputationRep:
    They might take it back but they will NEVER add it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    Afraid not. If you have taken proportionally too much holiday they will take the holiday pay out of your final pay. Similarly if you leave without taking the proportion of your holiday entitlement that you should have taken so far they will add that money onto your pay.
    Serious? Thought they didn't do that anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otu1987)
    They might take it back but they will NEVER add it!
    They did when I left!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm leaving in a few weeks and they said any holidays I had prebooked between then and now I could still have it off but I wouldn't get paid for it. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    They did when I left!
    Same here, I even got my RGS holiday for Overtime for the following year added on. I wasn't expecting that.

When they say use it or lose it they mean you have to use it all before the next holiday year, if you leave before the end of the holiday year without taking all your holiday they still pay you it.

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview today, went very well and the interviewer seemed very positive. So fingers crossed, should know in a few days.

What I'm wondering is, If you fail the interview, are you allowed to apply for another sainsburys job? Just trying to prepare for the worst case scenario but fingers crossed!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You can't apply for another 6 months I think.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I got offered the job at sainsburys but on the same day I got offered a job elsewhere which is much closer to me. I'm really stuck on what to do, because I like both companys. My induction is tomorrow and im going to attend it, but im really not sure - i feel like I want to give others who want the job a chance but its not like I dont want it. This probably makes no sense but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rede121)
    Ok, I got offered the job at sainsburys but on the same day I got offered a job elsewhere which is much closer to me. I'm really stuck on what to do, because I like both companys. My induction is tomorrow and im going to attend it, but im really not sure - i feel like I want to give others who want the job a chance but its not like I dont want it. This probably makes no sense but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    I would choose based on pay, personally. :tongue: + travel, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, gave in my notice on Thursday 22nd July, stating that I would be giving my 4 weeks notice and my last working day will be Thursday 19th August. I get a letter through today from Sainsburys HR dept, and it sayds 'I am writing to confirm that your last day of employment with Sainsburys is 21/08/2010'.

Does that mean I'm expected to work that day?! I really didn't want to work that last saturday cos I despise saturdays there. That would mean that I would have worked 5 saturdays since giving in my notice!

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them you're not doing it. You definitely shouldn't have to given you gave your notice in on a Thursday. The fact your actually working four weeks notice at all should be enough for them, a lot of people don't!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    eurrgh back to work tonight. i have to say though i have missed my colleagues. :tongue: getting new uniform soon hopefully, and does anyone know what 'U' stands for in leg length? they are massssive.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently had my interview with Sainsburys and I have a few questions:

- The lady said they should be in contact within a few days. How long does it normally take for them to get back to you?
    - How long should I leave it before phoning them to see if I got the job?
    - Do you get paid for the induction days?
    - What if you can't attend the induction days that they have set?
    - I told the lady who interviewed me I plan to go to uni in a few years, was this a bad thing to do?
    - How often are wages paid?
    - Will they let me know if I am unsuccessful?
    - If I got the job I'd be starting at 11pm, would they mind if I turned up half an hour early (and say waited in the cafeteria) until my shift starts because of public transport?

I'm sure I have more questions but that'll do for now. Thank you (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamLeliel)

- The lady said they should be in contact within a few days. How long does it normally take for them to get back to you?
    - I told the lady who interviewed me I plan to go to uni in a few years, was this a bad thing to do?
    - If I got the job I'd be starting at 11pm, would they mind if I turned up half an hour early (and say waited in the cafeteria) until my shift starts because of public transport?

-as she said, a few days. they may need to interview more people
    -there's no need phoning as they reply as soon as they've decided
    -yes
    -dunno
    -depends
    -every 4 weeks
    -yes
    -no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamLeliel)

Around a week.

Give it say 10 days and then ring, I'm sure they'll get back to you though, usually by E-Mail if you applied online.

Yes.

Not sure but unless they have another one scheduled then it doesn't look good as these are done in groups usually.

I don't think that should go against you but I'm not completely sure.

Every 4 weeks, next one is August 13th.

As far as I know you are told if successful by E-Mail first, same goes if you're unsucessful.

That's fine, I do that sometimes and just sit in the cafeteria and have a drink.

Answers in bold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I would choose based on pay, personally. :tongue: + travel, of course.
    Thanks insplodge I have decided to stick with Sainsburys. I had my first induction day today :woo: and i actually really enjoyed it, the store is nice, the people seem nice, my team leader seems nice, haha im a happy bunny :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i said to my interviewer that i didn't see myself at sburys in 5 years time and i wanted to go to uni (i told them about my grades and they said i definitely should) :tongue: and i still got the job

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.