Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! Just really really praying I've got this job, I need it desperately -- on a gap year and I'm supposed to be moving out in September! :nooo:

The lady said there would be lots of overtime if I did get the job so that sounds great.

One more question -- if I'm working night shifts will I be able to wear black trainers?

Also, is it normal for the interviewer to take your clothing sizes and stuff during the interview? I thought it was a bit soon!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AdamLeliel)
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful! Just really really praying I've got this job, I need it desperately -- on a gap year and I'm supposed to be moving out in September! :nooo:

The lady said there would be lots of overtime if I did get the job so that sounds great.

One more question -- if I'm working night shifts will I be able to wear black trainers?

Also, is it normal for the interviewer to take your clothing sizes and stuff during the interview? I thought it was a bit soon!
    On night shift you're expected to wear safety boots but... noone on our shift wears them except the managers and team leaders...so... depends on how strict they are really. I refuse to wear the safety boots because they won't give me new ones. And yes they always take your clothing size etc.

ReputationRep:
    i wear black trainers now after a year of wearing shoes, shoes hurt my feet. a lot of people wear trainers and some wear shoes, depends what you want to wear aslong as it is black.
    they are strict on safety shoes if you are going to use the leccy pallet truck. probably if you carry empty pallets around too but i never do i just keep my feet out the way when i drop it, apart from one time when i dropped it on my toes.

edit: this is during normal store opening times rather than night shift

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I currently work as a checkout assistant, who is it that I speak to to increase my hours?
    Thanks to anyone who can help!

ReputationRep:
    you'd have to speak with your line manager to see if he/she has any hours to give you. so the checkout manager in your case.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look in the overtime book and see what hours are regularly available. Also speak to the team leaders to see if they have any days/nights where they have to ask extra people to come in / get people to stay late. What's listed in the overtime book is probably the best place to start though. Once you work out what's likely to be available, its best to put it in writing to your checkout manager (doesn't have to be formal, can be on till roll or something!!) and they'll see if they can offer the hours!

ReputationRep:
    I have a question I had an interview today which went brilliantly. However I have a huge dilemma a couple months ago I was working at another sainsburys and I had to suddenly leave due to hospitlization. However I didnt work to my notice period and I was eventually fired due to the company not knowing what wwas going on. will this affect my chances of getting a job at this new sainsburys branch as I really need the job.

At the interview I was asked if i had worked at another sainsburys and i told the truth and said yes. At the end of the interview the person interviewing me said we will get back to you in a week. We need to contact the other sainsburys first. The lady said i did extremely well. I just dont want something which was out of my control to affect my current chances. Any advice.

Ahh man i really hope i get the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niketpatel71)
    I have a question I had an interview today which went brilliantly. However I have a huge dilemma a couple months ago I was working at another sainsburys and I had to suddenly leave due to hospitlization. However I didnt work to my notice period and I was eventually fired due to the company not knowing what wwas going on. will this affect my chances of getting a job at this new sainsburys branch as I really need the job.

At the interview I was asked if i had worked at another sainsburys and i told the truth and said yes. At the end of the interview the person interviewing me said we will get back to you in a week. We need to contact the other sainsburys first. The lady said i did extremely well. I just dont want something which was out of my control to affect my current chances. Any advice.

Ahh man i really hope i get the job.
    Did you eventually get around to telling your former store why you didn't come back? If you did you can hope they will pass that message on. You might want to contact your old store and ask them to pass that info on.

Also you should have probabally told her that you left the prev job because you had to be hospitilised with a serious (Life threatening?) condition.

ReputationRep:
    Also you should have probabally told her that you left the prev job because you had to be hospitilised with a serious (Life threatening?) condition.

I told them that

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently had my interview with Sainsburys and I have a few questions:

- The lady said they should be in contact within a few days. How long does it normally take for them to get back to you?

They told me via text message two days later.

- How long should I leave it before phoning them to see if I got the job?

10 Days would be reasonable

- Do you get paid for the induction days?

Yes

- What if you can't attend the induction days that they have set?

They will usually tell you when an alternative induction is taking place, this may be at a different store, especially if the store you applied to is a small one.

- I told the lady who interviewed me I plan to go to uni in a few years, was this a bad thing to do?

No it's years not days!

- How often are wages paid?

Every 4 Weeks

- Will they let me know if I am unsuccessful?

Yes

- If I got the job I'd be starting at 11pm, would they mind if I turned up half an hour early (and say waited in the cafeteria) until my shift starts because of public transport?

No They wouldn't care.

I'm sure I have more questions but that'll do for now. Thank you (:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone : D

For anyone who's been rejected, how quickly did they let you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niketpatel71)

I told them that
    I don't see them rejecting you on that basis then. Looks like you stand a good chance, since you've previously been an employee.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so i applied for a fresh food assistant as a temp until october but there were only 3 sections to the application and i didn't receive an email acknowledging the application either so i'm not sure if i've done it wrong as reading this thread there seems to be a questionnaire or something. :dontknow: Anyways, if i have got it right, what's the process from here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie-27)
    Hi, so i applied for a fresh food assistant as a temp until october but there were only 3 sections to the application and i didn't receive an email acknowledging the application either so i'm not sure if i've done it wrong as reading this thread there seems to be a questionnaire or something. :dontknow: Anyways, if i have got it right, what's the process from here?

When you originally register, there are about 3 sections to fill in including personal details and work experience.

When you actually apply for a position, you have to do the questionnaire.

You can see the status of your application by logging in and clicking 'My Jobs', i think it's called.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yeah i went back on there and I did the questionnaire. Still no email but maybe they don't send them. Are Sainsburys usually quick to reply and tell you whether you're application was successful or not, etc?

ReputationRep:
    As I understand you usually find out with a few hours if you are unsuccessful but not for a few days if you get to the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    So.. if I applied yesterday and my application is still "in progress" then that's a good sign?! I hope it is so much, i'm pretty desperate at the moment.

I remember this thread when it wasn't about people asking the same questions over and over. Let's discuss Sainsburys :p: In our store they want to get EVERYONE till trained, but they also want to take out a few more checkouts and put in some more self-scanners (we already have six). I'd rather not be till trained but I don't see how its going to work - if they call everyone onto checkouts on a Saturday they'll get about 50 people leaving the shop floor, going to the checkouts and then most of them being told to go back again. Seems like a huge waste of time to me? I must be missing something.

ReputationRep:
    Well when we've done "all till trained colleagues to checkouts" at very random times..like 10PM at night sometimes. Very few people turn up when called.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We don't have many checkouts and it's not really any of our concern since we work night shifts and we're only open for an hour. I suppose near xmas they might - we are open until 12am. But it sitll doesn't seem worth it!

They are starting to check our overs now to make sure we are doing our jobs properly. I am one of the only people who says "I want to get as much out as possible, if it means overfilling" cos I HATE taking things back again. :tongue: Everyone else thinks the opposite - "can't be arsed".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.