The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Saliency
After reading through the entire thread which took ages, >_> I've got a few questions.
I've recently been offered a job as a customer service assistant although after reading through here it doesn't seem as appealing as I first thought. Anyway...

1. I haven't actually had my induction yet but when I go start my first proper shift what types of shoes will I be required to wear. Are there any rules on this?

2. I'm currently contracted to work 16:30 - 22:30 on a Saturday but I was wondering how soon after I start I will be able to change this to an earlier time on a Saturday as I have a few family events on late nights on Saturdays and I would have to miss out if that's the case which I wouldn't mind so much for about the first couple of weeks but after that I can see it annoying me.

You'll have to bear in mind that you'll have been recruited for those hours because they actually need someone to fill those hours. That's your contract, and so will have to work it. They might be able to swap you occasionally, but if you go in wanting to change your contract straight away they'll probably say no.
Reply 5521
Woop! I got a job at sainsbury's. My interview went okay, spent a lot of time just waiting though. I've got a 3 day induction next week, 4pm to 10pm which I thought was a strange time.
Writer14
You'll have to bear in mind that you'll have been recruited for those hours because they actually need someone to fill those hours. That's your contract, and so will have to work it. They might be able to swap you occasionally, but if you go in wanting to change your contract straight away they'll probably say no.

Ahh okay thanks for the help everyone :smile:
How long would you recommend I waited before asking
Reply 5523
I'm just filling in my document things now. I've searched this thread for answers but there aren't many. I don't know whether to apply for the SSA application. What are the benefits and is it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Rich_183
Hello,
I have applied for a general assistent in the electrical department, have interview next week (fingers crossed) anyhow, is it mostly stacking shelves?? Do you get help to say lift a massive widescreen tv or something?? Just wondering thats all...
Thanks
Rich

Yeah mostly replenishment. Obviously people don't buy tv's like they buy milk so you wont do much tv lifting, if you need to though there are always other members of staff around to help.
I have to pick up widescreens on my own, you'll be fine. They're not that heavy cos they're you know quite flat :tongue: I can't imagine picking up those old style "wide screen" tvs :eek3:
Reply 5526
Hiya guys! For all the Team Leaders out there I was just wondering what you find to be the worst part of your job/most annoying aspect to being a team leader?

And to the colleagues is there anything that your team leader does that annoys you/can be improved upon?
Annoys me:
1. they're lazy.
2. they expect too much of you
3. never satisfied!

Otherwise they're good fun.
Reply 5528
welshliz
Hiya guys! For all the Team Leaders out there I was just wondering what you find to be the worst part of your job/most annoying aspect to being a team leader?

And to the colleagues is there anything that your team leader does that annoys you/can be improved upon?

There isn't consistency between them all. They don't read from the same "rule book". What may be OK with one, may be completely wrong for another.
Reply 5529
Katie-27
I'm just filling in my document things now. I've searched this thread for answers but there aren't many. I don't know whether to apply for the SSA application. What are the benefits and is it worth it? Thanks in advance.

To me SSA seems to be a waste of money. all my store does for SSA people is hand out leaflets that have discounts in Halfords etc, and a monthly draw where you can win £50 - if they remember to do the draw...
you can get discounts at the cinema and other places (holidays too!)but you have to ask for the forms and stuff
Reply 5531
Mousebudden

Are the tills easy to get used to, and I'm talking more of the advanced features (lol) such as lottery tickets etc.?

Lottery is usually only sold in the Kiosk. The only other supermarket that sells lottery though the tills that I know of is Tesco - and I haven't seen many of those tickets handed in recently (Do they still do it?). If you do get Kiosk trained, you'll be properly trained to use it.

How well and how thoroughly do you enforce the 'Think 25' policy?

We recently got an external company to visit each period (Pay Month), to do a random Think 25 test on age restricted products - and its 3 underage sales and your out.

As I am under 18 I understand I am entitled to 30 minutes break for every 8 hours which I work, would I be able to take this break whenever I want or would I require permission from my supervisor?

Your supervisor should be aware your entitled to a 30 minute break, but make sure you tell your manager you intend to take the extra entitled time out of courtesy.

I understand to pass the probationary period after 12 weeks I will have to gain a sufficent mark in a test, and was wondering how difficult and what sort of questions were involved in this test

You can't fail the test. They will pretend it is all serious, but they will give you the answers eventually. Its all common sense stuff that you learn on the job.
hi guys

i'm just interested in the pay rates for customer service assistants?

and are there increased rates for nightwork (if so, which times)

thanks
Reply 5533
super_dry
hi guys

i'm just interested in the pay rates for customer service assistants?

and are there increased rates for nightwork (if so, which times)

thanks

Varies from area to area, but will usually be inline with other local competitors. London payrate is higher than most regions, and generally the further north you go, the less pay you get p/h

I think my payrate is 6.74p/h
I get £7.83 ish for nights. Midlands area.
Foulish
Varies from area to area, but will usually be inline with other local competitors. London payrate is higher than most regions, and generally the further north you go, the less pay you get p/h

I think my payrate is 6.74p/h

That's not quite right, London area gets a higher rate, and then the rest of the country is on another rate, which is the same regardless of how far north you go.
Reply 5536
Writer14
That's not quite right, London area gets a higher rate, and then the rest of the country is on another rate, which is the same regardless of how far north you go.

I stand corrected ^_^. However, of my store was situated 1 mile south, I wouldn't get London pay :P
Reply 5537
Foulish
I stand corrected ^_^. However, of my store was situated 1 mile south, I wouldn't get London pay :P

Do you work in/near Sidcup?
Reply 5538
FXX
Do you work in/near Sidcup?

I work at Merton-Sava. The distance figure is more lke 2.5 miles, and was a random guess.
Reply 5539
My first pay day on Friday!!!!!

Btw are inductions payed?

Latest

Trending

Trending