Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by otu1987)
    I'm not sure under 18s getting paid the same is completely right, unless they give everyone the extended breaks (my store tends to).
    For me, an extra few minutes break never made up for the lower pay the under 18s get/got. £4.84 p/h versus £6.25 or whatever doesn't sound right. Also, as far as I'm aware, the extended breaks are there by law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    For me, an extra few minutes break never made up for the lower pay the under 18s get/got. £4.84 p/h versus £6.25 or whatever doesn't sound right. Also, as far as I'm aware, the extended breaks are there by law.
    Yes I know they are there by law, but the underage employees get longer breaks and can't do alcohol authorisation (which is a pain in the arse). It's not their fault but it does make it hard work for everyone when we have more than one under-18 on the tills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otu1987)
    Yes I know they are there by law, but the underage employees get longer breaks and can't do alcohol authorisation (which is a pain in the arse). It's not their fault but it does make it hard work for everyone when we have more than one under-18 on the tills.
    I hate being under 18 and on the till. The supervisors were hardly ever there so I had to shout across the whole store to get them to come over or ask one of the over 18s on another till, which we got told off for doing because we should have really asked one of the elusive supervisors. :mad:

But I'm 18 now and due to leave in about a month so :bumps:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I suppose i'll find out when it happens. Is probation 12 weeks? I kind of wish under 18s didn't get breaks as I don't know if people resent it and it doesn't make much difference it just means you have to go to the canteen for 5 minutes then walk back, but i suppose i shouldn't complain
    The tills were ok but i did feel like a nuisance having to get the supervisor all the time or feel a nuisance to the customer if the supervisor wasn't around and i'm having to sit there and explain and things. But overall people were really nice and understanding and asked how i was doing and things

ReputationRep:
    If it takes you 5 minutes to walk to the canteen & back it takes the employers that get 5 minutes less that long too so it's swings n roundabouts! lol
    People always resent anyone getting more than them, it's the way of the world, just accept that & look out for you. They wont be looking out for you, remember!

ReputationRep:
    True, I know i'll be much more appreciative of them when i've been working there for longer so time doesn't pass by so swiftly.

ReputationRep:
    This is to clear up all tax related questions, During your induction they wil lask you to fill out a P46, If you do not have a job currently and are going to be earning less than around 6k a year then they will not tax you. However if you say you are currently employed they will assume with your current employment and sainsburys employment you will be over the 6k limit so they will "emergency" tax you, however if with the sainsburys and current employment you are still below the taxable annual salary then you must hand in a P85 which states your tax code and how you will not be eligable for tax. however if you are going to earn more than 6k a year then you will be taxed. hope tht clears things up.

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please confirm how old you have to be to buy cigarettes, aswell as how old you have to be to sell cigarettes? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Could somebody please confirm how old you have to be to buy cigarettes, aswell as how old you have to be to sell cigarettes? Thanks.
    Eighteen.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first night shift last night. I feel quite dead ):

I think eventually I might end up switching to days...

ReputationRep:
    I have been working at sainsburys for about 3 months now but start uni in september, what are the chances that they will allow to either cut my hours right down to maybe 1 or 2 days a week or just come back for the holidays. Also the problem with changing my hours is that i will not know what days that i am at uni until i start.

P.S. I am going to a local uni.

(Original post by AgentSushi)
    I have been working at sainsburys for about 3 months now but start uni in september, what are the chances that they will allow to either cut my hours right down to maybe 1 or 2 days a week or just come back for the holidays. Also the problem with changing my hours is that i will not know what days that i am at uni until i start.

P.S. I am going to a local uni.
    Depends on the department but I was able to go down to two days (six hours each) very easily when I started university. If you can, see if you can book the first week off so you can get your timetable, then change your hours the week after. You know you'll at least be able to do weekends though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone worked in a small local store and a supermarket. I work in a local one and just wondered if it is worse or better? as i hate it..
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AdamLeliel)
    Had my first night shift last night. I feel quite dead ):

I think eventually I might end up switching to days...
    Welcome to my life :awesome: I have worked night shift since October, and I still can't sleep properly :tongue: I generally go to bed an hour after I get home, and have eaten etc. Then I sleep for 8hours if I can, get up etc.

ReputationRep:
    lol nightshift guys are the most miserable people in our store, no daylight makes you bad.

do you nightshift stock rotate on grocery? i had a brief stint on grocery last week working cereals just before closing and nightshift guys were in, one asked what i was doing as I pretty much pulled all the cereal boxes off the shelf and put the new ones towards the back. i said stock rotating, he said you dont need to on grocery they sell so quick.
    however, if you were to continue that just stick newer dates in fornt the one at the very back would not get sold :confused:
    didn't argue took his word for it, as i'd probably get punched

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    lol nightshift guys are the most miserable people in our store, no daylight makes you bad.

do you nightshift stock rotate on grocery? i had a brief stint on grocery last week working cereals just before closing and nightshift guys were in, one asked what i was doing as I pretty much pulled all the cereal boxes off the shelf and put the new ones towards the back. i said stock rotating, he said you dont need to on grocery they sell so quick.
    however, if you were to continue that just stick newer dates in fornt the one at the very back would not get sold :confused:
    was it the permatanned guy? He told me off for doing the same thing at about 10pm.

ReputationRep:
    People rotate grocery? :O: As he said, it all has really long dates and in theory should all get sold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    People rotate grocery? :O: As he said, it all has really long dates and in theory should all get sold
    Explain the theory.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)

No we don't. We keep an eye on it but we don't rotate it. We only rotate the fresh stuff. We have enough to do without doing that as well. :confused:

Our day staff check dates on grocery stock, as I know a lot of our meds end up going on sale cos they have a short life left on them. To be fair they don't have a lot else to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    was it the permatanned guy? He told me off for doing the same thing at about 10pm.
    lol at permatanned, but nah it was some other guy

(Original post by inksplodge)
    No we don't. We keep an eye on it but we don't rotate it. We only rotate the fresh stuff. We have enough to do without doing that as well.

Our day staff check dates on grocery stock, as I know a lot of our meds end up going on sale cos they have a short life left on them. To be fair they don't have a lot else to do.
    i would disagree that daytime staff dont have much to do, in my store there are few grocery staff who actually work stock, some don't as they are code checkers and cda's. but they do help out at the 2pm rumble to get the deliveries out the way. most grocery staff are on bws and some on h&b.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.